Golf course Lake district

Jedwick

Visit site
Evening all, going away next week with the family and wanna have a round, we are staying in Backbarrow near Cartmel. Is there any recommendations for a course? Nothing too fancy as I'm not overly good! A nice view and some nice signature holes would be lovely!

Thanks in advance

Jed

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Windermere GC.. Great course..Great views...a handful of very nice holes
Quite hilly but worth it. Drains quite well too..?
Probably about 20 mins from Backbarrow.

Jedwick

Visit site
Windermere GC.. Great course..Great views...a handful of very nice holes
Quite hilly but worth it. Drains quite well too..?
Probably about 20 mins from Backbarrow.

Looks lovely but course is on winter greens, am I being naive thinking anywhere wont be on winter greens?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The best course near Backbarrow is Ulverston. Stunning views over Morecambe Bay, especially at HighTide Also see Coniston Old Man and Lakeland Fells. Course in great condition. Going to Ulverston on a Thursday when it is Market Day.Winderemere is hilly, short. Grange is nearby, very wet at present
Grange Fell is a 9 hole which is hilly.

If you want any further info please feel free to pm me

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Looks lovely but course is on winter greens, am I being naive thinking anywhere wont be on winter greens?

Probably just due to the recent clear nights/Frost.
Baltic up on't fells this time of year.

Heard Ulverston is decent.. not too far from Backbarrow.. Ive never got round to playing it though.

D

Deleted member 3432

Best course in Cumbria
Very difficult drive over 90 minutes and possibly too difficult

Agreed on all counts here.

I would go with the recommendation of 3offTheTee and play Ulverston especially as it's close by.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Carus Green is meant to be ok near Kendal. Plus there’s Kirkby Lonsdale. Think they are both about 30mins away. Seascale? Might be a trek though.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Carus Green is meant to be ok near Kendal. Plus there’s Kirkby Lonsdale. Think they are both about 30mins away. Seascale? Might be a trek though.
Carus Green has suffered big time with their greens. They have offered members around £200 reduction this year.Kirkby Lonsdale is a scenic course. Seascale is a Links on The West Coast just over an hours drive and is usually in excellent condition. Hosted English Amateur with Silloth a few years’ ago I think.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Carus Green has suffered big time with their greens. They have offered members around £200 reduction this year.Kirkby Lonsdale is a scenic course. Seascale is a Links on The West Coast just over an hours drive and is usually in excellent condition. Hosted English Amateur with Silloth a few years’ ago I think.
Never played Seascale, met a couple of members from there though and some mates have played it.

Just find it hard, when going to an out of the way place, for it not to be Silloth. Quality track!

Thefish

Visit site
Grange fell has to worth a go, a great 9 hole course but hit it straight. Views over to Cartmel and Morecambe bay are tremendous

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Mate plays at Carus Green, I never got the chance to play there but I did play at Kirby Lonsdale when he was a member there, and it was in a stunning location.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have played Carus Green in March a couple of years ago it was very wet, heard good things about Seascale but I agree with all the comments about Silloth. best in the Lakes

Jedwick

Visit site
Unfortunately Silloth is an hour and 45 away. Too far for me. I've spoke to Ulverston and they arent on winter greens so leaning towards there now.
Thanks for all the recommendations, you guys are stars!

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
A few have mentioned Carus green, with regards to problems they are having/had, but is it a decent course when in good nick, as they seem to have tonnes of opens on, but never been sure whether to get up there and give it a go, or not.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A few have mentioned Carus green, with regards to problems they are having/had, but is it a decent course when in good nick, as they seem to have tonnes of opens on, but never been sure whether to get up there and give it a go, or not.
LB They have a Trilby tour there. Have just lost their top teaching pro Andrew Pickering who has set up with another teaching pro from there and Mike Newton from Lytham Golf Academy(top teaching guy @Penrith Golf Hub. This is not that relevant to CG Golf Club.

i am bias for obvious reasons but Ulverston is far better value for Opens £21 per person to include bacon bap and coffee. The course has improved over the last 2 years really well, greens are fast and is highly recommended.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
LB They have a Trilby tour there. Have just lost their top teaching pro Andrew Pickering who has set up with another teaching pro from there and Mike Newton from Lytham Golf Academy(top teaching guy @Penrith Golf Hub. This is not that relevant to CG Golf Club.

i am bias for obvious reasons but Ulverston is far better value for Opens £21 per person to include bacon bap and coffee. The course has improved over the last 2 years really well, greens are fast and is highly recommended.

Its more the travel time from Liverpool with regards to an open. Over 2 hours becomes a bind, but willing to go up to an hour and 40, and near the m6, at least for a winter open, but wondering if CG is decent or not.