Golf course injuries

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Heard of all the usual injuries on the golf course, hit by balls/bits of clubs, twisted ankles, falling over etc but I suffered a new one the other day. I chipped in on the first from the fringe and went to pick the ball out of the hole and felt a severe pain in the back of my hand. The flagstick had been worn away by the wind blowing it against the edge of the hole and there were shards of frayed fibreglass sticking up and these went straight into my hand. I pulled about 1/4 inch out but due to the area that the pain was coming from thought that there was some left in there.

The next morning my hand had started to swell up so I went to A&E and needed an xray and scan to find that there was still over an inch of fibreglass left in there, going from the bottom joint on my index finger almost to my knuckle. I was put on antibiotics and painkillers and told to return at 7.30am the next morning, Friday, to have it removed. Turned up on time and after a couple of hours I was told that it wasn't going to happen and I have to go back to outpatients on Wednesday. The surgeon was even suggesting that I leave it in there but I would rather have it removed as the swelling and pain is not getting any easier.

Anyone else suffered an injury on the course?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
HID and I were on a golfing holiday to Ashbury Manor with another couple about 6 weeks before we were due to get married. HID had just started playing and we'd done 9 on our first afternoon there, gone to dinner and then decided to go ten pin bowling. She managed to overstep onto the lane, slipped and came crashing down onto her wrist, breaking it and snapping a tendon. Suffice to say she didn't play any more golf and spent most of the remainder of the week driving a buggy

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
First round of my first club championship and a mate, on the 2nd tee, hits his drive into the ladies tee marker 10 yards in front.
It comes screaming back at him, hits his ankle and breaks it.
Naturally goes down like a sack of spuds as an ambulance is summoned and we show our sympathy while trying to stifle the giggles.
Shouldn't laugh but sometimes........

D

Deleted member 21258

Hope you ended up sorted and hand is recovering ?

I broke a finger when I took a 1 inch deep divot with a 7 wood and the club stopped immediately, how the shaft didn't break I am not sure but my middle finger did.:ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our new head green keeper has replaced all the fibreglass flagsticks with metal ones because of his concerns over their safety.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had most of the usual ones, even a ride in the air ambulance. Perhaps a little different; I had a shaft snap mid grip. The shaft came through the grip and did a a fair bit of damage to my hand.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went looking for my ball in some bushes adjacent to a boundary fence, went forward into the bushes, but didn't see the rusty broken barbed wire fence strand floating around. Got one of the barbs down the side of my eyeball, and snagged on the inside of the socket. Managed to get the fence wire off the eye and out the side of the eye socket, but it was streaming like a monsoon and didnt stop for hours.
A trip to A&E resulted in drops and cream, and very lucky to only have a scratched eye.
I was very lucky not to lose that eye.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hope you ended up sorted and hand is recovering ?

I broke a finger when I took a 1 inch deep divot with a 7 wood and the club stopped immediately, how the shaft didn't break I am not sure but my middle finger did.:ROFLMAO:

Outpatients appointment tomorrow so hopefully they will take out the offending shards but not optimistic.

I'm now glad I don't take divots.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went looking for my ball in some bushes adjacent to a boundary fence, went forward into the bushes, but didn't see the rusty broken barbed wire fence strand floating around. Got one of the barbs down the side of my eyeball, and snagged on the inside of the socket. Managed to get the fence wire off the eye and out the side of the eye socket, but it was streaming like a monsoon and didnt stop for hours.
A trip to A&E resulted in drops and cream, and very lucky to only have a scratched eye.
I was very lucky not to lose that eye.

Reading that had me squirming. That was a lucky escape.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Surprised you didn't get a Tetanus jag.
Years ago I got bitten by a horse fly that got stuck down the neck of my shirt , the bite swelled to the size of a golf ball . It's left a big mark on my back .

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Heard of all the usual injuries on the golf course, hit by balls/bits of clubs, twisted ankles, falling over etc but I suffered a new one the other day. I chipped in on the first from the fringe and went to pick the ball out of the hole and felt a severe pain in the back of my hand. The flagstick had been worn away by the wind blowing it against the edge of the hole and there were shards of frayed fibreglass sticking up and these went straight into my hand. I pulled about 1/4 inch out but due to the area that the pain was coming from thought that there was some left in there.

The next morning my hand had started to swell up so I went to A&E and needed an xray and scan to find that there was still over an inch of fibreglass left in there, going from the bottom joint on my index finger almost to my knuckle. I was put on antibiotics and painkillers and told to return at 7.30am the next morning, Friday, to have it removed. Turned up on time and after a couple of hours I was told that it wasn't going to happen and I have to go back to outpatients on Wednesday. The surgeon was even suggesting that I leave it in there but I would rather have it removed as the swelling and pain is not getting any easier.

Ensure every bit of fibreglass is removed. It is deadly stuff; the glass filaments are usually coated with a size to improve the resin bond it can cause al sorts of serious bother.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This came up in the discussion on flag in or out.
The fibres are so thin you can’t see them so if they have these flags always take it out before retreaving your ball.

DCB

Visit site
Long time ago I somehow managed to tear a muscle in my lower back/ top of the buttock. I was in the middle of a swing and I was hit with a sudden excruciating pain which actually caused me to pass out and collapse on the tee. I was eventually helped to my feet but the walk back to the car park took ages with me almost in tears with the pain. It took three months and many physio sessions before I could swing a club again. One of my group that day did actually think I was putting it on, but, the pain was so sudden and intense that Inreally did pass out.