Golf Course for Membership - Somerset/Bristol

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
Forum,

I am looking to join a new course due to change in circumstances. Currently play a parkland course and I am moving to Somerset. I'm 24 so membership rates are a lot cheaper. I am just trying to decide on a course. Burnham and Berrow looks great and I do love links golf. But am not sure whether I see it more as a course I would only play in the Summer rather than a year round membership course. Any thoughts on Courses in the Somerset area even up to Bristol?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forum,

I am looking to join a new course due to change in circumstances. Currently play a parkland course and I am moving to Somerset. I'm 24 so membership rates are a lot cheaper. I am just trying to decide on a course. Burnham and Berrow looks great and I do love links golf. But am not sure whether I see it more as a course I would only play in the Summer rather than a year round membership course. Any thoughts on Courses in the Somerset area even up to Bristol?
The price that you would pay for Burnham is basically robbery. It's an all year round course, it's absolutely incredible and I love being a member there. The greens at the moment are so good it's a joke!!

£300 a year for you!!

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
I have played some great golf there. Just didn't know what the practice facilities would be like? I am definitely interested! Fancy a round so I can give it a fair go?

D

Deleted member 15344

Burnham and Berrow every day of the week - brilliant golf course all year round

I'm still tempted by country membership and I'm 2 and a half hours away !

Liqdaddymac

Head Pro
Visit site
dont bother looking anywhere else if you can get in at Burnham & Berrow for £300!

The good Bristol courses get very wet (long ashton & Bristol & clifton), Burnham will be great all year apart from being windy and cold!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have played some great golf there. Just didn't know what the practice facilities would be like? I am definitely interested! Fancy a round so I can give it a fair go?

Practice facilities are great mate, its 50p for range balls as a member, the short game area is brilliant and the putting green runs at the same speed as the course.

Put it this way, im tempted to drive down (i live an hour away) to practice for a few hours on Monday as its the only course that has good greens this time of the year.

there is no course close to the quality of Burnham in the area (hence me driving an hour to get there).

yeah definitely up for a round. I'm possibly down there on the 27th (Friday) if you could get away? weekends are impossible for guests at the moment due to saturday mornings being for members, and sunday being for the winter foursomes (which attracts people from all over).

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
Practice facilities are great mate, its 50p for range balls as a member, the short game area is brilliant and the putting green runs at the same speed as the course.

Put it this way, im tempted to drive down (i live an hour away) to practice for a few hours on Monday as its the only course that has good greens this time of the year.

there is no course close to the quality of Burnham in the area (hence me driving an hour to get there).

yeah definitely up for a round. I'm possibly down there on the 27th (Friday) if you could get away? weekends are impossible for guests at the moment due to saturday mornings being for members, and sunday being for the winter foursomes (which attracts people from all over).
Sounds good, I will be working from home so will live close (ish) by. So having a good practice facility would be great. What are the competitions like up there? Standard weekly comps? Ok, 27th may be possible. I'll have a look into it and drop you a PM.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
the comps are brilliant mate. There is a stableford on every single saturday without fail, and they also have midweek comps. Most comps are off the yellows but SSS is 73 and is plenty tough enough. They also have monthly medals etc off whites.

You book tee times for the saturday 13 days before (6pm on a sunday evening), i've managed to get the time i want every week but it does fill up very quickly. I've met some great guys down there though who have all been really welcoming (im only 29).

Remember you also have the 9 hole channel course which is generally viewed as the 2nd best course in the county. It also very very good.

at £300 for the next 2 years, and then £400 until you are 30 (i think there would be a £100 joining fee), you are literally stealing from them, but they want young good golfers to join.

BomberSRL

Head Pro
Visit site
the comps are brilliant mate. There is a stableford on every single saturday without fail, and they also have midweek comps. Most comps are off the yellows but SSS is 73 and is plenty tough enough. They also have monthly medals etc off whites.

You book tee times for the saturday 13 days before (6pm on a sunday evening), i've managed to get the time i want every week but it does fill up very quickly. I've met some great guys down there though who have all been really welcoming (im only 29).

Remember you also have the 9 hole channel course which is generally viewed as the 2nd best course in the county. It also very very good.

at £300 for the next 2 years, and then £400 until you are 30 (i think there would be a £100 joining fee), you are literally stealing from them, but they want young good golfers to join.
Haha! This is true, I will get the 27th off and drop you a message!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Haha! This is true, I will get the 27th off and drop you a message!

Going to try and tee off at 12pm mate as i have someone coming up from portsmouth, and will remain weather permitting.

its £30 for you but i'd speak to club and maybe they will refund it if you join? some clubs do.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site

Not sure I agree with your thoughts on the channel course being 2nd in the county gets absolutely soaking wet in the winter.
Main course at £300 is a steal whats the full membership cost?

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure I agree with your thoughts on the channel course being 2nd in the county gets absolutely soaking wet in the winter.
Main course at £300 is a steal whats the full membership cost?

I'm just going on what i've seen a few magazines say and also what the county champion said when he ranked the courses last year (Josh Hilleard). I've only played it once :)

£1050 per year.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

wow that was one tough paper round Sam :rofl:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great track B&B - played it quite a few times when I lived in Bristol and I've played all the courses in North Somerset; Avon/Bristol and South Glos.