Golf Clubs on trains...

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi. We're off on our trip to St Andrews in April and the best option for travel is the train. Has anyone transported their clubs on the train? The website suggests the dimensions are in excess of their allowed luggage but without any advice as to how to book them into the guard's van or whatever...

Any experience??

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
sorry cant help and their website isnt much use, I'd pop into your local station and ask the stationmaster, he will know or he will be able to find out pretty quickly.

Saw the title and thought this was the sequal to 'snakes on a plane' :rofl:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks DV. Found a number for them and it's likely we can just use the luggage racks but also suggested we book in 2 cycles as they'd go in the luggage coach.

Sorted...can start getting excited about it now. Good job I have a short game lesson tomorrow :mad:

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
You will struggle to get them in the luggages racks so I would definately go the cycle route, they will also be aware of loading issues too if booked in advance to help if needed.
12 weeks ahead for cheapest tickets, if the real cheap ones are gone then maybe look at break the journey up, believe it or not you can travel on the same train at near half price using 2 tickets sometimes.
And final suggestion redspottedhanky are on tesco clubcard system like AG where you double your vouchers up meaning you potentially half costs.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
You will struggle to get them in the luggages racks so I would definately go the cycle route, they will also be aware of loading issues too if booked in advance to help if needed.
12 weeks ahead for cheapest tickets, if the real cheap ones are gone then maybe look at break the journey up, believe it or not you can travel on the same train at near half price using 2 tickets sometimes.
And final suggestion redspottedhanky are on tesco clubcard system like AG where you double your vouchers up meaning you potentially half costs.

Thanks. Booked the tickets and cycle spaces. Seems pretty cheap at £160 return for us both and quicker/easier than driving for sure. Good call on the Tesco vouchers although recently spent all mine on a Garmin Approach :)

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Friend of mine took a surfboard on a train booked as a cycle and got major hassle off a jobsworth guard. Take any documentation you have from the ticket office stating its actually golf clubs. Should be ok though; less awkward than a surfboard!

Playing the old course?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does your lesson include chip and runs or putting from off the greens as this is what you'll need at St Andrews.

Nope but I'm great at chip and run but am suddenly struggling when I need to get up and down quickly (over bunkers to a tight pin etc).

Friend of mine took a surfboard on a train booked as a cycle and got major hassle off a jobsworth guard. Take any documentation you have from the ticket office stating its actually golf clubs. Should be ok though; less awkward than a surfboard!

Playing the old course?

Good point and will ring them again before we go. Playing Old, New and Jubilee :thup:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi. We're off on our trip to St Andrews in April and the best option for travel is the train. Has anyone transported their clubs on the train? The website suggests the dimensions are in excess of their allowed luggage but without any advice as to how to book them into the guard's van or whatever...

Any experience??

If you fancy a change from links golf,

http://www.balbirniegolf.com/

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
Advan e tickets for golf clubs on trains ...
I travel 4 days a week and most day I see people just getting on and either putting bags up on the racks or by the luggage racks at the end of each carriage. And that is rush hour to London!

Obviously the south east is more welcoming of golfers ...

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Saw a guy at Waterloo east yesterday with a callaway stand bag and full set of x forged irons,'woods and putter over his shoulder and a rather large hold all in the other hand when HID and I took my kids to the Aquarium. Never occurred to me he'd have to stow them in guard carriage, don't think it occurred to him either as he got on my carriage and had all his gear with him by the doors

TaylormadePhil

Assistant Pro
Visit site
if its carry bags you're taking then you'll have no problem (providing you're not 5'5") fitting in the racks above the seats.. took mine on the train from glasgow to london last year. only problem i had was trying to carry them on my back whilst walking through the rush hour commute.

T

thecraw

Any time I've jumped on the train with my golf clubs I've just put them on the overhead storage. Always plenty of room. Apart from the strange looks you get walking onto the train with a bag of sticks I've never had any hassle.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did the very same trip last year, 4 of us from Stevenage via Peterborough to Leuchars, we didn't book our clubs in but no problems at all, the clubs all went in the overhead racks. We booked seats well in advance and got a really good deal, a very smooth and easy way to go.