Golf clubs in Leeds to join

Putting_Green_Pro

Q-School Graduate
www.heyrosegolfclub.com
Hi all,

I currently live in Cheshire and I am a member of a local course. At the end of May I will be moving to Leeds - city centre, 5 mins from the train station.

Please could people recommend a club to join in the Leeds area. I will not always have a car to hand (living in city centre so not much need for a car) so a club that isn't too expensive to get to in a taxi would be ideal.

Used to play off 10 but slowly getting back into the game. Up for a challenging course.

Many thanks.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are umpteen excellent courses around the suburbs of Leeds. Particularly to the north side. But as you need to be fairly close to the centre I would suggest Leeds Golf Club (also known as Cobble Hall). Not to be confused with Leeds Golf Centre (also know as Wike Ridge). The former is a private members club, the latter a proprietor owned club and would be too far.
Cobble is a pretty decent parkland course and is only 5 or 6 miles from the centre of town.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
It maybe worth checking trains to headingley then taxi as headingley is a great course.. maybe a bit of a faff on the train, unfortunately as rulefan says lot of courses on outskirts of Leeds. Motor allerton is good too 27 holes.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are umpteen excellent courses around the suburbs of Leeds. Particularly to the north side. But as you need to be fairly close to the centre I would suggest Leeds Golf Club (also known as Cobble Hall). Not to be confused with Leeds Golf Centre (also know as Wike Ridge). The former is a private members club, the latter a proprietor owned club and would be too far.
Cobble is a pretty decent parkland course and is only 5 or 6 miles from the centre of town.
If you are prepared to go a couple of miles further, Moortown (heathland) is probably the best around outside Alwoodly (membership virtually by invitation only). Sand Moor is about 1/2 mile further on from Moortown.
These are all to the north side. I'm not that familiar with the ease of getting to those on the south so can't suggest anywhere.

PS. Moor Allerton may be a too expensive taxi journey and it is very tough in the winter.

D

Deleted Member 1156

If you are only 5 mins from the station have you considered other towns that you can get a train to that have courses near the station?

Visit site
Don't know your budget, but Sandmoor, Alwoodley, and Moortown will be quite expensive.
Garforth and Seacroft, north Leeds, Headingley to the west will be better value. Probably Wike Ridge (north west) would be the best value, don't know for sure.
A little further afield, but still not far there are loads of courses. Rawdon,(9 holes), The Bradford,and Hollins Hall just past Rawdon,and Horsforth, even Otley isn't too far away.
I don't think there's a bad course out of that lot. Let us all know where you end up.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Update:
Wike Ridge (Leeds Golf Centre) has good facilities (driving range, coaching, par 3 course (now a footgolf course)) and a nice restaurant but is is dominated by corporate events and notorious bandits.
I know the sec at Moortown (the dearest after Alwoodley) and he has just told me they have a waiting list. I don't think Sand Moor is any dearer than any of the other ones in that northern belt. They are all good courses.
Garforth, Scarcroft, Headingley are in the same bracket but taxis will be more expensive. Plot them all on Google Maps
If you are only 5 mins from the station have you considered other towns that you can get a train to that have courses near the station?
The station is only 400 yards from Pannal GC, Harrogate

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
It maybe worth checking trains to headingley then taxi as headingley is a great course.. maybe a bit of a faff on the train, unfortunately as rulefan says lot of courses on outskirts of Leeds. Motor allerton is good too 27 holes.
Headingly Golf Club is (ironically) nowhere near Headingley. It's actually in Adel, and there is no train station nearby. Howley Hall, near Morley, might be an affordable taxi journey. Also, I believe Sandmoor also has a waiting list at the moment

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The guys have already given you lots of good recommendations for places to explore.
In the current climate & suggest you make sure you understand what booking restrictions the Clubs have as I'm hearing some harrowing tales from some.
Also I can add that Wike Ridge (Leeds Golf Center) is just about to introduce a new short-term Summer membership that may be quite attractive to you. Could easily off-set the £12 taxi fare, though it's only a few £ cheaper to get to Cobble Hall, a much poorer course IMHO.
If you want to have a round there drop me a DM on you availability & I'll host if possible.
In N Leeds you're spoilt for the selection of very good courses. In S Leeds there's only Howley Hall I'd look at. Good luck in your search.

Last edited:

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hot off the Press........ & going very quickly as I understand. :eek:

Attachments

• SUMMER MEMBERSHIP.pdf
    231 KB · Views: 39

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I know
It's madness, I just don't get it
Or see the attraction

If you only want to play in the better weather, and some do, it's a saving of nearly £300 over an annual membership that you won't make full use of. And if it gets people into, or back into golf in the summer, then it's not such a step to become a full time member. And it won't pee off the full time members like it would if it were pro-rata.

It's not for many, but it might suit some.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I agree that with it being membership over the high point of the golf season, it should be more than pro-rata full membership per month, but 60% is ridiculous. A 25% surcharge would be more appropriate. However, if 2Blue is correct and it's proving popular, then obviously a lot of other people disagree with me (nothing new there!)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Putting_Green_Pro

I would forget Wike Ridge. It is not worth that and would be relatively difficult/inconvenient/pricey to get to.

Last edited:

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you only want to play in the better weather, and some do, it's a saving of nearly £300 over an annual membership that you won't make full use of. And if it gets people into, or back into golf in the summer, then it's not such a step to become a full time member. And it won't pee off the full time members like it would if it were pro-rata.

It's not for many, but it might suit some.

Rich

I know what you're saying, and understand
But I'm basing my comment on the
Annual subs at £980...
Visitor green fees £25....

Got to play almost 7 games per month to be ahead, and during this current situation of 2balls, courses and tee times are going to be scarce for a while yet

Besides....... Move it north another county and the same place is £695 for the full year

( no offence Dave)

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
That Wike Ridge deal is £140 per month.
Green fees are 25 weekday and 35 weekend.
Surely it's a good deal for someone who wants to play there regularly up until the end of October, irrelevant of what the full fee is. ?‍♂️

Maybe coming from oop North
We have a different perception of what is value......

We have whippets ta feed ya kna lad