Golf Club Membership - your views and thoughts please including Poll no.1

When your most recent club membership renewal came through…

• Did you renew straightaway – no real thought required

Votes: 113 70.6%
  • Did you decide to renew but only after careful thought

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Did you decide not to renew after careful thought (please advise reason separately)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Had you already decided not to renew before it came through (again please advise reason)

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 1418

I did renew, but only after thinking about it for a while. The course has improved a lot over the last few years, especially the greens. But after a few years of no increase in fees, there was an increase of £30 a month this year. Probably because a new clubhouse is going to be built and there's some significant work to be done on the bunkers.

In the end it came down to the fact that I really enjoy it there, the members are a good bunch (as are the staff) it's ridiculously close to home, and my youngest is really getting into playing and can now play 9 holes comfortably.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
A few years back I was struggling with the unmentionables, I couldn't justify the fee for playing 4 or 5 times a year.

Will rejoin when I can sort out my technical issue. The thing I miss the most are my friends at the club.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I did renew, but only after thinking about it for a while. The course has improved a lot over the last few years, especially the greens. But after a few years of no increase in fees, there was an increase of £30 a month this year. Probably because a new clubhouse is going to be built and there's some significant work to be done on the bunkers.

In the end it came down to the fact that I really enjoy it there, the members are a good bunch (as are the staff) it's ridiculously close to home, and my youngest is really getting into playing and can now play 9 holes comfortably.

I wouldn't class an extra £30 a month as "significant"
It's mahoosive, huge and enormous and wouldn't have me thinking more than twice:eek:

hines57

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
golf course in excellent condition, investments being made to improve both the on and off course experience and a great bunch of folks to play with. Easy decision.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I renewed but only after seriously considering a hybrid deal for paying a small amount u front and a fee per round.

Biggest gripe is the long period over Winter (Spring) when its no fun to play golf in poor conditions.

road2ruin

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For me, number 3, decided not to renew.

The golf management have always talked a good game about improvements etc etc but years go buy and everything stays the same. Actually, that's not true, things deteriorate! A number of tee boxes are a shambles, a lot you cannot find a level bit of ground. The fairways are good for a couple of weeks a year then veer widely from scorched earth to Battle of the Somme type conditions. The greens are actually pretty good but that's it. I don't blame the greenkeepers, they're allowed to get away with it as the management barely step foot on the course and don't really seem to care.

I have always been able to justify the downside by the fact that it's cheap (for the area, Surrey) and very, very local (5 mins down the road). However as with all things, life changes and with a young family I am getting out no more than 1 - 2 rounds a month. The club, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to withdraw their flexible membership which means the cost per round (for me) is akin to being a member of a Top 100 course. My course is not a Top 100 course, it's probably not a Top 1,000 course so the decision to leave has been made.

I am probably joining Hoebridge which is a little further away however seems much more forward thinking, their membership options are varied and their flexible membership is geared for people like me so I can still be a member of somewhere without feeling that I'm paying through the nose for it. I played there are the weekend, thought the facilities were excellent, very family friendly and the course was in great nick. It is still predominantly a pay and play but there certainly seems to be investment being put in so happy to give it a go.

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
The club that was my home club, that I'd been at the last 2 years
I didn't renew
Decided way back, last summer that I wouldn't be handing over anymore of my hard earned £££ over to them
Such has been the down the downturn in the condition of the course

Moved on to pastures new

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got a very stressful, busy job which meant that I could only play once per week at best. That meant that I had to be at a course which could guarantee full greens, fairways and tees every single weekend. So, decided to cancel the membership and move to a links course.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I renewed and it is the change of venue that actually kept me playing golf. Was so fed up with the stuffy atmosphere where I was but the move has got me enjoying the game again. The fact that we have a Saturday roll up has made all the difference.

It also helps that our comments about the course are listened to. The manager of the whole hotel and development plays in the roll up on a Saturday morning and is always interested to hear what we think.

I used to speak out against hotel courses but I was very wrong. The relaxed atmosphere and everyone welcome attitude has been a breath of fresh air and suits me perfectly.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I renewed and it is the change of venue that actually kept me playing golf. Was so fed up with the stuffy atmosphere where I was but the move has got me enjoying the game again. The fact that we have a Saturday roll up has made all the difference.

It also helps that our comments about the course are listened to. The manager of the whole hotel and development plays in the roll up on a Saturday morning and is always interested to hear what we think.

I used to speak out against hotel courses but I was very wrong. The relaxed atmosphere and everyone welcome attitude has been a breath of fresh air and suits me perfectly.

Belton Woods I take it?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Renewed but £1300 is top end here it’s the best course around the area.

The one thing making me waver is 4 1/2 hour rounds in the comps is affecting my game .
I come off the course very frustrated as we seem to be waiting around all day.

Its a tough course but not to tough.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
I didnt renew as im thinking of pastures new ,main reason is lack of comps at my original course ,hopefully joining Willingdon nr Eastbourne as they have a comp every weekend and a swindle every saturday so plenty of games to be had for a competitive golfer like myself.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cant see poll maybe because im on phone . Changed clubs this yr . Thinking about it was stressful . Leaving club closest to home . Leaving friends etc .
In.my opinion its not value for money but mostly they wont listen .
Its frustrating as heck ..
Whats most annoying is a good few have left but no one has even bothered to ask why