Golf Club Membership - your views and thoughts please including Poll no.1

When your most recent club membership renewal came through…

• Did you renew straightaway – no real thought required

Votes: 113 70.6%
  • Did you decide to renew but only after careful thought

Votes: 27 16.9%
  • Did you decide not to renew after careful thought (please advise reason separately)

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Had you already decided not to renew before it came through (again please advise reason)

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
I rejoined my old club basically for the convenience of it being down the road from my house so I can practice in the nights ,my old club before this puts it to shame but so does the price tag and traveling to get there all the time .

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jez,

The thought process revolved around category of membership rather than whether to rejoin. If that's not what you intended it to reflect please adjust my response!

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Straight renewal this year for me plus two. There are times when I think after 11 years that it might be good to try somewhere else, for no other reason than a change of scenery. But out of all the local clubs to us, there is only one that I would change to (Woburn), and I can't afford their joining fee as a single, let alone paying for 3 of us.

Wilf

Club Champion
Visit site
Didn't really play last year so needed to work out whether it was worth it even on a flexible membership. Play with my son though who is a member and he is keen to play more when cricket allows so renewed

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I renewed straight away. Last year was my first ever year as a golf club member and I enjoyed it, so renewing for a second year was a no-brainer.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Did not renew. It all hung on price (plus massive deterioration of course). Local course to me (5 mins) that used to be £200 more expensive is now the same price as my old place (25 minutes away). Despite the fact that most of the people are brilliant at my old place, head ruled heart and I've left.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Renewed without any thought. I live a stones throw away, its a decent course with a great membership.

gojrno1

Hacker
Visit site
I decided against renewing this year due to an addition to the family in March, couldn't see myself playing much over the summer and the club didnt really have any flexible membership to offer. So taking a year out to spend some time with the family and maybe re-jopining next year.

D

Deleted member 21258

Renewed home club, without much thought. It just works for us.

One Away club have just renewed after much thinking about and almost not bothering, but we have already made the decision that we will not renew next year, due to Saturday being almost solely men only comps(we play as a couple) and sunday a lot of tees time are not available to the members(visitors have priority). And its sad really as it is Joannes favourite course.

Clubs need to wake up to the fact that all members should be treated the same(whether thats men/women or social golfer/comp player and weekends really need to have priority to members)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had decided to not renew at the club where I was a member due to the lack of playing days during the previous season, down to weather and work. Also it was a pain to get to the club at times, only one route in for me through 20mph zones, and when it got busy you could add 20mins to the journey time. So opted for another club a little further away, but with better facilities and various options to take to get there and while the new club is further away it is actually quicker to get too.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I rejoined but only after a lot of thought ,had a horrendous season last year and wasn't enjoying my golf at all, but one one of my mates rejoined and the BIL joined so my mind was made up. Thought of taking my Comp only Ticket at St Andrews as I'm on the waiting list for a full ticket

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Slight difference with mine. Joined a new club last year, just after I'd already renewed for my old club.

So this year, old club membership ran out and I left there. New club membership carried on and I renewed without a second thought. Better course, nicer club (member owned rather than proprietary like my old one) and the comps fit in better for my lifestyle. Really enjoying it!

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Renewed after careful thought. Saddled with a significant increase which was justified by the fact that the clubs "house" section was operating at a loss and therefore needed to be addressed by increased membership costs. My careful thoughts were obviously why should I subsidise the failings of the clubs "House" section when perhaps they should either outsource that aspect thus reducing employment costs or spend some time sourcing new members rather than loading this cost onto the loyal membership. I stayed because our course is good and the membership is brilliant. Everybody has their "tipping point" though and if the same happens next year it may just be a step too far.

94tegsi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This is my first year as a member anywhere. Still unsure whether I will renew in September when that will be 12 months. A friend is thinking of joining somewhere this year, so will likely depend on whether we both decide to join somewhere.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I did renew and without much thought. Happy with where I play and prefer it to the other clubs in the area. I am not tied to it and would move if necessary, ie big hike in fees, deterioration of the course, but none of that happened so the decision was easy.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Renewal due in October. Unless they turn the place around dramatically this summer I’m off to somewhere that cares about the condition of the course rather than how much money they can save.

You are fortunate in having plenty of good clubs and courses not far from Merrist Wood:thup:

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Whole family renewed recently without hesitation.

We love the course. As a members club, its heading in the right direction regarding full integration for the Ladies (which makes the wife happy) and they have an excellent junior programme which is good for my boys.

there are a number of clubs within the same distance, but there are quality and cost implications to those.

My course is 15 minutes in the car so evening 18 hols is easily done in the summer!

My ONLY criticism would be the quality of the practice facilities, but even these are being addressed over time. But as its so close, I can happily pop up, play 2-3 balls on my own and get practice on the course!

In all honesty, we will most likely not ever move from there unless we relocate, which is 99.9% unlikely.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Renewed only after careful consideration.

Think im going to give it another year and then potentially move on. Mainly renewed this year down to cost and ease but i am the youngest member of my club by around 8 years (Im 26) and the majority of others ages 25-35 have moved to another club in the area that has better facilities and an 18 hole course rather than our 9 but is an additional 15-20 minutes drive.

Will seriously look at moving there next year once we are a little more settled in our house.

adam6177

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I didn't renew this year as I moved 25 miles down the road, so the commute to the club would have been around 50 minutes each way.