Golf Clothing / Dress-code

RandomReload

Visit site
What’s the expected etiquette when it comes to golf clothing / dress-code? Do I have to wear the expected (polo shirt and golf trousers) or is that a thing of the past and it’s a much more relaxed affair?

Additionally, with the current situation going to a store to try on stuff isn’t really an option, so what would people recommend when it comes to golf clothing that I can buy online?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Dress codes vary from club to club
Most will require a collared shirt and trousers or shorts on the course- and with shorts come sock rules.
Some allow you to turn up in anything and change, some require "golf attire" as a minimum anywhere on the grounds.
Best to check with the course youre going to play.
As for buying...buy online, try it, if you don't like it...send it back

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chino's or ordinary trousers, collared polo shirt, socks and golf shoes not trainers but can be trainer style will get you in to the vast majority of clubs.

If you prefer shorts then tailored shorts and not swimming trunk or foot ball style are acceptable at most courses.

Some places do not like combat style (side pocket) trousers or shorts.

Things like trainers in the club house will vary from club to club.

Our in clubhouse attire is more relaxed than our on course attire e.g no jeans on the course but they are allowed in the clubhouse because our clubhouse is open to non members and non golfers.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Theres a lot of good golf clothing on sale at very reasonable prices from County Golf. They are used by many on here and have never let me down

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It depends. A municipal pay and play may have more relaxed dress codes than others (although not a given). A cheap polo and pair of trousers from Primark would be sufficient along with a cheap pair of golf shoes. I would suggest checking the club website if you are playing as a guest

RandomReload

Visit site
Cheers for the replies :)

I already own a couple of CK golf polos as I like the fit/price so I’m good there but I’m really struggling to find anywhere that would do trousers to fit, I need a 30w but everything seems to start at 32w, and the only 30w trousers I’ve found (SportsDirect Slazenger ones - 2 for £17) are in regular fit which will be huge on my smaller frame (I need tailored/slim fit). As for shoes I’ll worry about that after a few rounds, I’ve got a few pairs of standard trainers that should do, and looking at the more recent releases of golf shoes they seem to have stopped the classic look and adopted a more modern twist (when the time comes would people advise Spikes or Spikeless?).

Thanks again,

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

I already own a couple of CK golf polos as I like the fit/price so I’m good there but I’m really struggling to find anywhere that would do trousers to fit, I need a 30w but everything seems to start at 32w, and the only 30w trousers I’ve found (SportsDirect Slazenger ones - 2 for £17) are in regular fit which will be huge on my smaller frame (I need tailored/slim fit). As for shoes I’ll worry about that after a few rounds, I’ve got a few pairs of standard trainers that should do, and looking at the more recent releases of golf shoes they seem to have stopped the classic look and adopted a more modern twist (when the time comes would people advise Spikes or Spikeless?).

Thanks again,
In terms of shoes have a think about what your course is like, hilly or flat, good drainage or not. Mine is fairly flat with good drainage so I only have spikeless shoes. If your course is a little hilly, gets wet, then you may want to consider spiked shoes. It is about grip in the wet, how much do you need? I don't have any issues with my spikeless shoes and I like the ability to drive in them, go into my club in them etc.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks again,
It was mentioned above but County Golf usually has a good selection on sizes: https://www.county-golf.co.uk/golf-trousers

RandomReload

Visit site
It was mentioned above but County Golf usually has a good selection on sizes: https://www.county-golf.co.uk/golf-trousers

I’d taken a look but they don’t have anything in my size and at one size up there is one pair in red which is a little daring for me lol!

I do not buy golf specific trousers but usually wear fat face chinos.
They are excellent quality and you can pick them up often in a 50% off sale.
E.g
https://www.fatface.com/sale/mens-s...s-and-chinos&dwvar_949521_color=dijon#start=3

I think that might be my best route as I’m struggling to find anything else at the moment.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I already own a couple of CK golf polos as I like the fit/price so I’m good there but I’m really struggling to find anywhere that would do trousers to fit, I need a 30w but everything seems to start at 32w, and the only 30w trousers I’ve found (SportsDirect Slazenger ones - 2 for £17) are in regular fit which will be huge on my smaller frame (I need tailored/slim fit).

Thanks again,

Lots 30w at SD

https://www.sportsdirect.com/mens/clothing/trousers

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
On the trouser front anything from M&S or Next that fits and my Mrs says looks OK on me will do. Shirts? Any old polo shirt - but I tend to avoid patterns or stripes - and nothing with a big logo or image front or back.

I rather others commented 'that's a nice swing by Hogie there' than 'what on earth is Hogie wearing today'. So nice and low key clothing is for me :)

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

sammyboy

Visit site

RandomReload

Visit site
I’ve ordered a few pairs to try on next day delivery and to say I’m disappointed is an understatement....

The first pair, Adidas Ultimate 365, these are highly rated across the internet so I had high expectations, they definitely wowed me, but not in a good way. Everyone else seems to regard these as comfy, made of great material etc etc but personally it felt like I had stretched a plastic carrier bag around my legs, the quality felt horrible and the material horrendous. If these are 5 star rated I’m worried to try the rest...

Next up was a pair of Nike Flex Slim Core, well I don’t know who does the sizing at Nike but I’m swimming in these, I’d definitely need to size down.... but I can’t as 30” is the smallest they do (I’d say they fit like a 32” and are roomy throughout) again the material has no weight or quality to it, very thin and really underwhelming.

Finally were some Under Armour Performance, again the fit was a little out and 30’s are as small as they go, I’m starting to notice a trend here as they had a similar weight and feel to the previous pants, very stretchy and not at all what I was expecting.

So three pants down and no joy, I have no idea how anyone would manage to get these to look like they do in the photos either as all three pairs were a creased mess and a nightmare to try and iron so they resembled anything even close to their advertised photos. All of them seemed to share this super stretchy type material which I’m totally not a fan of, that plus they were about as thin as a plastic carrier bag makes them a big no no for me.

Not sure what to try next or if just regular chinos is the best route as I don’t seem to get along with the golf specific type trousers on the market.

robbeh32

Visit site
Must be you i have some addidas 365 and under armour tapered trouser both a really nice fit and good material and lightweight.