Golf Brands

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Are you a snob? I am. But only with golf stuff. I didn't realise just how bad I was until yesterday at AG. What about this bag? No chance! I wouldn't tough that with a barge pole! This one then? Nope wrong colour! And on and on it went with me appologizing for being such a person. I couldn't believe it myself! Am I a bad person for behaving like this?

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm a bit of a Titleist fanboy but I just don't get on with their current fw and hybrid selection whereas cobra fits that bill exceptionally for me. Even wavered now and had a custom fit for SM7's which i'm awaiting as It was just not suiting my eye having MB's sit next to Mack Daddy wedges.

It's something I know is pretty pointless but I just like the brand and hold my hands up I am materialistic with most things in life.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think so. For a bag, I wouldn't care that much as it's just a receptacle to hold your other stuff, as long as it works and looks alright I wouldn't care much what brand it is. But with clubs to a certain extent I would stick to brands that I know and like, and there are certain balls I wouldn't bother picking up. But I think that's less snobbery and more trying to assure myself of the quality of them. I have used a Benross hybrid before, still use a WilsonStaff bag and golf balls, and a Dunlop wedge, so not really snobbery.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
All my gear is Ping primarily because it performed best last time I went for a fitting and I like the quality of their clothing. My golfing OCD kicks in and I have to have a matching umbrella and towel. While I may not change my brand for the clubs/bag etc I am definitely open to different clothing brands and have been buying more and more FJ and Adidas stuff. As for shoes then I am definitely a FJ snob

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Having recently bought a Driver off a cottage industry type guy on the Internet (Old Tom RA91) for £130, I can confirm that there is very little difference in terms of build quality / materials / playability than something that the likes of Tiger or Phil are using - which are retailing for £450 / £500.

I'm moving away from being a brand snob to wanting things that have nice aesthetics and go well together. I pretty much have my current clubs set up and so future birthday / Christmas presents will go towards cool head covers.

I'd love to just have an old retro looking 'Sunday' bag with maybe just 2 types of material and no logos that I could maybe throw 10 or so clubs into for a walk round evening round with a mate.

Scratch Golf - this in the red looks really smart to me. A bit pricey for what it is, but in reality I'd have it for decades.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have been off and on when it comes to clubs but certainly not what they are carried in.

As well as well known brands my bag contains an Acer 29 rescue, Makser SW, Bayhill 52 wedge and Dunlop (RG designs) 60 wedge. It is simple for me if the club does what I want it do the club stays in the bag.

My shoes are Crivit probably the most comfortable shoes I have ever owned and have remained waterproof for more than a year, longer than some well known brands I have owned in the past.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Nope, not a snob in the least. However, I think you can tell when something is of a slightly different quality. My Adams XTD ti fairway wood just feels a better quality product than the Ping, TM, Callaway and Wilson Staff gear in my bag.

D

Deleted member 1147

I'm not too bothered by what brand my clubs are, so long as they do the job.
But, I will only have Ping Hoofer's as my stand bags - current one is well over 10 years old

(unless the new one is a freebie - then I'll use anything ;))

D

Deleted member 21258

Not really, have a mixture of names. I suppose when you look at whats the bag and whats in the bag, they are all known brands, so I am really:confused:

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Used to be but not that much anymore. Went into AG last week to look at polo's and ended up buying an Island Green polo that was £15. Tried on 6/7 other polo's and that fit the best so bought it. In the end it was that or a Footjoy polo for £60, the Island Green fit better.

I'm more of a want to look right rather than want to wear the most expensive gear. Colours have to match and go well together.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
My friend is, he has just bought some Cobra irons, now wants Cobra woods to match.

He wants a new putter and his PP said only ever get Ping or Odyssey. I talked him out of it and said get whatever works the best.

I have Grindworks irons, and a Dunlop bag and wear whatever so definitely not a snob

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Brand loyalty is a funny beast... I've used Ping irons for years, although Mizzys do shout at me from time to time! Taylor Made or Callaway woods were those of choice still my pro sent me out with a demo 917 fairway last summer, wow, that was it! (and the matching driver went in the bag soon after, exp as the price had fallen with the new model appearing)

Confidence is contagious!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Golf is a mental game (in all meanings of that word ;)) and you have to play what you're comfortable with but for me it's what you feel comfortable with. My irons are Callaway but mainly because I treated myself to a custom fit for the first time and these are what I felt suited me best. Driver is a Callaway XR as it was on sale in our Pro Shop and I had money behind the counter and liked the club so went for it. 3 wood is a Cleveland Classic, 5 wood is a Benross Hot Speed 2 and hybrid is a Cleveland Classic.
Wedges are Cleveland and Callaway mix and putter is a Rife.
My bag is Titleist but again because I wanted a waterproof bag and they were on sale in the club and again I had money behind the counter.
Shoes are bought purely on a comfort basis.

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Absolutely a brand snob. But I am in life generally.

It's moved on though;

I wouldn't buy a GAPR, Callaway Epic Flash or Taylor Made 3 wood 'Rocket' due to the stupid names they gave them.
I hate having a matching bag with my clubs. Currently a Titleist bag, no Titleist clubs other than my Scotty. Umbrella must match though.
I hate a full bag with all the same clubs. Even more so if the bag also matches.
I own golf belts. I haven't yet completed my research on how many shots they save me a round.
I buy jumpers from prestigious courses I've played. Markers may have been cheaper.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Absolutely a brand snob. But I am in life generally.

It's moved on though;

I wouldn't buy a GAPR, Callaway Epic Flash or Taylor Made 3 wood 'Rocket' due to the stupid names they gave them.
I hate having a matching bag with my clubs. Currently a Titleist bag, no Titleist clubs other than my Scotty. Umbrella must match though.
I hate a full bag with all the same clubs. Even more so if the bag also matches.
I own golf belts. I haven't yet completed my research on how many shots they save me a round.
I buy jumpers from prestigious courses I've played. Markers may have been cheaper.

When I was fitted for my golf belts the pro said it would save me at least 3 or 4 shots per round.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Pretty much everything I play with, carry or wear has a different label, but it's all 'proper' brands.

I can understand people only buying super expensive stuff, as there 'might' be some sort of extra quality available (even if not proportional to the extra cost).
What I can't understand is the everything is the same brand from top to bottom approach. Hey ho, YMMV and all that.