Golf Balls - Your Top Three

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love comments like this.

With Callaway and Srixon you do not say which ball (which I note has already been pointed out)

Bit like saying I do not like Top Flites which at last count had 43 different types of ball.

I realise this, I'm not stupid, have I got stupid written on my forehead? I just like how ALL Callaways play and feel. They just seem to liek how I play. Ditto Srixons, even the Marathon one worked on Tuesday. Played with it by mistake. Clouted it miles. Out drove a 7 Hc all morning by 50 yards. Wilsons. Outside of Dx's rocks

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. Callaway - I feel they suit my game best. It doesn't seems to matter which model they all perform great . Although Warbirds are a bit hard, but don't spin so use in the winter.
2. Srixon. Lovely to hit. Really nice feel to them when you strike them well. Again, all models are good. Use the Distance for winter.
3. Wilson. Just the DX 2 or 3. Again lovely to hit and they feel great off the face. Also I like the shiney look to them.

Slightly less specific:

White
Yellow
Another colour

D

Deleted member 15344

Top 3 ?‍♂️

what’s the point in swapping balls if you find one you like ?‍♂️

I use one - Pro V 1x , think I have a yellow one somewhere for frost days

D

Deleted member 1147

1-The Bridgestones I’m currently using. 24 for £25 last xmas
2-titleist pro v/pro v1
3-Pink Lady

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I realise this, I'm not stupid, have I got stupid written on my forehead? I just like how ALL Callaways play and feel. They just seem to liek how I play. Ditto Srixons, even the Marathon one worked on Tuesday. Played with it by mistake. Clouted it miles. Out drove a 7 Hc all morning by 50 yards. Wilsons. Outside of Dx's rocks

The difference between a Callaway Warbird and a Chrome Soft is huge.
The difference between a Srixon Distance and a ZStar the same.

I assume from you comments you only judge a ball by how far you hit it, a 7 handicap is probably going to judge a ball by how well it spins. I know I quite happily give up distance for the sake of control.

Boomy

Visit site
I like them to fly in the direction they’re hit in.

maybe you shouldn’t be so quick to reply huh ?

Maybe you should look to see how old that article is huh ?? OLD news! They found issues on a handful of balls back in 2019… it’s 2021 did you know? Also, a new version was released in 2020 with new testing and equipment to prevent the previous issue. A huge investment by Callaway who admitted there had been issues previously.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My pro told me to choose a decent, or at least more than a half decent, ball and just stick with it. He suggested Pro V1 and so that’s what I chose, but as I am starting to run out of these I have switched for some knocks to better Bridgestones - usually the Tour B X

…what do you mean I could buy new Pro V1s…what’s that got to do with it…?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe you should look to see how old that article is huh ?? OLD news! They found issues on a handful of balls back in 2019… it’s 2021 did you know? Also, a new version was released in 2020 with new testing and equipment to prevent the previous issue. A huge investment by Callaway who admitted there had been issues previously.
But if My Golf Spy had not done the testing and highlighted the faults would they have changed their manufacturing process? MGS have cut open hundreds of balls and back in 2019 they said the best balls for manufacturing quality were Titleist, Srixon and Bridgestone. A couple of the ball manufacturers have improved their quality control since MGS did the tests.

Boomy

Visit site
But if My Golf Spy had not done the testing and highlighted the faults would they have changed their manufacturing process? MGS have cut open hundreds of balls and back in 2019 they said the best balls for manufacturing quality were Titleist, Srixon and Bridgestone. A couple of the ball manufacturers have improved their quality control since MGS did the tests.

From what I’ve read they were already investing in the new plant and tech so it’s maybe something they’ve been aware of for a while - who knows. They’re likely being ‘sponsored’ by Titleist, Srixon and Bridgestone ? I think tolerances will slip on any mass produced products… even the so precious Titleist ones! I’m enjoying using the Chrome Soft balls and have no negative feedback.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any premium I get for a steal brand new from an ebay shop....
Some great deals out there.
Currently,
AVX
Pro v1x
Tp5x

Don't mind callaways or Bridgestone or z stars....

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
From what I’ve read they were already investing in the new plant and tech so it’s maybe something they’ve been aware of for a while - who knows. They’re likely being ‘sponsored’ by Titleist, Srixon and Bridgestone ? I think tolerances will slip on any mass produced products… even the so precious Titleist ones! I’m enjoying using the Chrome Soft balls and have no negative feedback.
You may be correct with regards to the investment by Callaway. Whether they are sponsored I wouldn't like to speculate on.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Top 3 ?‍♂️

what’s the point in swapping balls if you find one you like ?‍♂️

I use one - Pro V 1x , think I have a yellow one somewhere for frost days

Cost for sure, and availability.

Really depends on the price when I'm buying, and whether they're in stock when I need them.

Recently bought Honma Tw-x and found them to be really good. Used Wilson dx2 and srixon soft feel before but the Honma are different gravy compared to them.

Recently tried the the TW-S, really good ball for the price (£26 a dozen), bought them because my normal Bridgestone balls were out of stock. Remind me very much of the old TM Project(a) which were a great ball. Going to try the TM-X next time.

Spoke to Tom the Titleist man at H4H. Was an interesting chat, I normally use Bridgestone BX/ BXS and despite my insistence that I didn't get on with ProV1x, he was adamant that it was the best ball for me and I should give it another try. Used the freebies he gave me on the day and really liked them. Was a bit surprised until I was chatting with one of the pro's back home, who told me that Titleist had switched their balls last year, the new ProV1x is the old ProV1, which explains why the old ones I pick up are clicky, low flight and hard and the new ones play much higher and softer on the putter. Also why the last ProV1's I bought played like that too....

Tried a new ProV1x again yesterday and really liked it.

To answer the original question, my top three right now are:

1. Bridgestone BXS
2. Titleist ProV1x
3. Honma TW-S

The Bridgestone is a good value premium ball. The Titleist edging in on recent experience, but obviously the most expensive, and the Honma is a really good low budget option, excellent 3 piece ball for such a low cost.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem here chap, is this discussion has you on a hiding to nothing, because half of these staunch pro v users are paying over the odds for a ball that offers up marginally more spin … and forgetting that they are the random spin generating variable