Golf balls for beginners/very high handicappers

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’ve seen this deal being referred to in other threads, but I’m concerned by some of the reviews stating they’ve received balls that are not new!

I can’t see anywhere in the sellers description that they are new, they’ve just copied and pasted the brands blurb!

Like most things, if it looks too good to be true, it possibly isn't ?

So, has anyone received any balls from this offer, and if so, were some balls marked?
I saw those reviews but they're sold and supplied by Amazon so should be no hassle with a free return if there's an issue.
Mine should arrive today so I'll let you know.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve seen this deal being referred to in other threads, but I’m concerned by some of the reviews stating they’ve received balls that are not new!

I can’t see anywhere in the sellers description that they are new, they’ve just copied and pasted the brands blurb!

So, has anyone received any balls from this offer, and if so, were some balls marked?

I really wouldn't worry about that
It's Amazon. Somebody probably took advantage of their generous returns policy and sent them back after testing them in a net.

If you did get them and they were marked complain and I bet Amazon would refund you whilst letting you keep them

Fabia999

Visit site
I started out playing with Slazenger’s, I then moved onto Wilson DX2 because I preferred a red ball but I am a big fan of them, not too pricey either.
I recently bought 20 Truvis lake balls, 2 were not in best condition but the other 18 were perfect.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Cheers, this is the kind of advice I’m looking for.

My bag is filled with about 15 balls of completely different kind of balls, some in good condition, some absolutely wrecked and none of them bought new...I can imagine they aren’t helping at all

Genuine view is it will make little to no difference. As long as it's not completely chewed up or 20 years old, any ball you can get your hands on will be suitable and have as close to no impact on your score as makes no difference.

I've been playing golf for 10 years, can get it round in the low 80s on a good day, and you could put a 10 year Old Srixon Soft feel down or a brand new Pro V1 and I couldn't tell the difference in a blind test. Might have a preference with the putter, but all other shots, I wouldn't be able to tell. Only started buying 'decent' balls when I realised I could get a few rounds out of the same ball... and even then I still keep some 'used' balls if I'm having a bad day or playing a different course.

As a new golfer, how you hit the ball is far far more important than the ball or even the equipment you are using.

I would buy a job lot on ebay of whatever works out pretty cheap per ball, clean them up as best you can, and go with it.

RandomReload

Visit site
Just picked up the Slazenger V300, 48 balls for £18, that’s crazy cheap (only 37.5p a ball), I did look at the Inesis from Decathlon but they seem to be out of stock everywhere and the website price has increased from £4.99 to £5.99 overnight.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Just picked up the Slazenger V300, 48 balls for £18, that’s crazy cheap (only 37.5p a ball), I did look at the Inesis from Decathlon but they seem to be out of stock everywhere and the website price has increased from £4.99 to £5.99 overnight.

This was maybe 5 years ago, but a mate was beginning golf and bought a dozen Slazengers from Sports Direct. They cut up unbelievably badly. I'd guess they have improved to useable, but one of the rare occasions in the golf world where cheap did not equal cheerful.

RandomReload

Visit site
This was maybe 5 years ago, but a mate was beginning golf and bought a dozen Slazengers from Sports Direct. They cut up unbelievably badly. I'd guess they have improved to useable, but one of the rare occasions in the golf world where cheap did not equal cheerful.

Hopefully that’s not the case with the V300, but if they are terrible I’m only in for £18 which is about a dozen of a better quality ball. I did see a review of the Inesis and they were surprisingly impressed with them for their cost per ball (41.5p a ball at the time of the review, 49.9p with the recent price increase). There always seem to be balls on offer from what I can tell so I’m sure I’ll manage, there’s three of us all starting out at the same time so the more difficult thing is going to be knowing who owns which ball as we are all likely to be playing the same cheapies lol!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Hopefully that’s not the case with the V300, but if they are terrible I’m only in for £18 which is about a dozen of a better quality ball. I did see a review of the Inesis and they were surprisingly impressed with them for their cost per ball (41.5p a ball at the time of the review, 49.9p with the recent price increase). There always seem to be balls on offer from what I can tell so I’m sure I’ll manage, there’s three of us all starting out at the same time so the more difficult thing is going to be knowing who owns which ball as we are all likely to be playing the same cheapies lol!

Sounds fine then. These ones were like almost made of putty with raggedy edges and scrapes after a few holes.

sammyboy

Visit site

They are fine. Put titleist or callaway on the box and you would pay £12/15 for 12 of them. Honestly not a bad ball at all. Not the best but I'd rather play them to something that is been underwater for an unknown amount of time or refurbished.

95% if golfers including me don't need a premium ball. But most don't like to admit to themselves they are the problem rather than a ball/club or anything else.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Your next buy should be a Sharpie :D. Get creative with your ball marking so yours stands out.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Some of this advice is hilarious. Seriously mate, if you're struggling to break 100 then ball selection should be the last thing on your mind as it will only make a negligible difference to your score. Simply go on ebay and buy a job lot of grade a/b balls. When you feel you game and more importantly "strike" is more consistent then maybe find one you like

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As has been said above, I'd go for new cheap golf balls. Picking them up at £6 a dozen means you won't feel bad about losing them at 50p a pop. Also, from personal experience, if you are in the rough, you will often find more golf balls lost by other people that way as well to build up your stock.
Personally, I don't like lake balls as you don't know how long they've been in the water and how they affect the performance of the ball. Other people use them quite happily but for me, I'd rather take the uncertainty out of it.
The Srixon Distance you mentioned have good reviews but I'd also suggest the Slazenger or Inesis as a starter till you get more comfortable with the game and lose less balls.
Believe me, there will come a time when you will convince yourself that you REALLY need a mid-range or premium ball (even if you don't ;)), so in the meantime just stick with some cheaper new balls (IMHO).
I would also take the other advice that you mark up each ball with a sharpie so that it is easily identifiable as your own. Something distinctive is better rather than just a Black/Red/Blue dot for example.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What’s the verdict?

I’m still a very high handicapper (aiming to get under 100 still on rounds) and say I’d lose on average less than 1 Ball a round

What is best to do? Buy new cheap balls (srixon distance seem good value), buy good new balls for slightly more money (srixon ad333) or buy very good balls as lake balls recycled balls?

The first thing you should really do is to decide on what type of ball you like i.e, one with a soft feel, one with a hard feel or somewhere in between and go from there.

If you are losing less than one ball a round that is really good going I play with some good golfers who lose more than that.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
The first thing you should really do is to decide on what type of ball you like i.e, one with a soft feel, one with a hard feel or somewhere in between and go from there.

If you are losing less than one ball a round that is really good going I play with some good golfers who lose more than that.
Cheers,
Half the reason I dont lose that many balls is by trying to get my score down to an acceptable level ive slowed my swing down and trying to keep the ball in play as much as i can. Basically sacrificing distance to try and get more accurate...although im only 28 years old i'm watching the old boys at my course who dont hit it further than 180 off the tee but still finish with great scores

If i can cut out the blow out holes and stupid duffs/fats id be under 100 in no problem. Heading out tonight so will see how i get on!

Smasher

Medal Winner
Visit site

Came today and they're all brand new and never been hit.
The box had tape on the bottom to hold the 2 halves together but it had never been removed, no marks at all and you could tell the 4x 3 ball boxes had never been opened.
I think the fella in the review got unlucky with a return.

Fish

Banned
Visit site

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Everyone playing off about 5 or higher and is sensible about is really in luck on the golf ball front. The 'premium' balls only harm their game, but the promotion, and pricing, make them seem attractive to those who dont really know what they are buying. The key for most amateur golfers it to minimise spin. Slicing and hooking the ball as little as possible is helped by playing the hardest, least spinny ball they can get. They dont have the power to get the distance, nor the skill to get the benefit of spin to control distance, green stopping, and working deliberate curves on the ball. So the Prov1 and its equivalents are, quite apart from being a waste of money, though to each his own on that front, are detrimental to their game.
So Smartcores, Pinnacles, Warbirds, etc are the only sensible choice, and even better by bulk as used balls.