golf balls do they make a difference to distance

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
All balls are designed to behave in slightly different ways. However unless you go to the extremes of the ranges you may not see a whole lot in practice - which then requires you to understand what these extremes actually are!

The trispeed range overall were designed as high launch/low spin - Z star is probably the polar opposite in Srixons range.

Just try different balls and see what happens. Avoid the rocket science

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Titleist say that, off the driver, there's about 5 yards difference in distance between all their balls.
I suspect most ball manufacturers will say a similar thing.
Upping your spin may not increase your distance, it may do exactly the opposite.
Z Stars may give you more control around the green but, equally, they may give you too much spin and you constantly finished short.
There's no easy answer
Trial and error or talk to a Pro.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
At the Scottish Golf Show, the people on the Titleist stand said that between all their balls there was probably only about 5 yards in difference, the rest is in the playing characteristics of the ball.
I have to say that distance wise, I don't find much difference but feel, spin, flight, etc. do vary a lot.
That swing speed is a lot higher than mine for sure. I would say my driver is about 90-95.
(edit, that post from Imurg came in as I was typing mine).

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I like pro vs but it pisses me off when I lose one
Me too. I know it shouldn't but it does. I don't even lose that many (<1 a round on average).
Instead I buy previous year premium balls at somewhere with of£30/12. Just have to know yourself and accept it I guess.

In answer to the OP, on a golf course, rather than range test conditions, I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference. Play something that you like for some aspect of its performance and, as above, can afford to lose without the brain chemicals getting over active.

Dannyc

Visit site
Me too. I know it shouldn't but it does. I don't even lose that many (<1 a round on average).
Instead I buy previous year premium balls at somewhere with of£30/12. Just have to know yourself and accept it I guess.

In answer to the OP, on a golf course, rather than range test conditions, I don't think it would make a blind bit of difference. Play something that you like for some aspect of its performance and, as above, can afford to lose without the brain chemicals getting over active.
Then they decide limit our looking for balls time to 3 mins 🙈

D

Deleted Member 1156

With all due respect, as a 22hcp you are probably not hitting the ball consistently enough to see any difference between balls. Just stick to whatever you feel comfortable with.

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In the grand scheme of things, no they won’t. Working it out on swing speed is daft, you don’t hit driver at the same speed as pitching wedge.

Just buy what you can afford to lose

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest the OP buys a few and sees which they prefer. The 3 piece market is particularly well supplied these days with many balls not going to break the bank per dozen. However I still remain convinced that most handicap golfers would never be able to tell the difference between brands and makes of the majority of the balls on the market in a blind test

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
The other issue that springs to mind is whilst a Z Star may increase backspin, it will also increase sidespin; if you're currently hooking or slicing your way off the fairway, prepare to start looking further in the :poop: as your hook or slice increases.

As others have said, there's a lot more than just swing speed to ball choice.

Visit site
The other issue that springs to mind is whilst a Z Star may increase backspin, it will also increase sidespin; if you're currently hooking or slicing your way off the fairway, prepare to start looking further in the :poop: as your hook or slice increases.

As others have said, there's a lot more than just swing speed to ball choice.
I have to ask as I am new to golf been playing 12 months just over me

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If your swing speed is over 100 mph and you're off 22, you've got bigger problems to worry about than what ball you use.
Have you had any lessons?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I find different balls can give a variation of a maximum of 10 yards through the air but much bigger differences by what happens to them after they land.

Choosing a ball is all about the trade off between distance and control.

I prefer a ball which, with reasonably receptive greens, will drop and stop with a yard or two with mid irons and drop and stop within a yard with short irons.