Golf bag warranty claim

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
Got a waterproof bag last November and noticed a few weeks ago that the taped seam around one of the zips is coming away. The damage isn't massive but will get worse.

Submitted an online claim with the manufacturer and they've upheld the claim. I have two options.

1) contact the retailer for a full refund
2) accept a replacement from manufacturer. (Not relevant to my point but it's a superior bag to what I got)

Both options require me to submit photographic evidence of the bag slashed or one of the pockets removed.

This seems such a waste as I could have given it to someone to use. It would still be functional as a golf bag for a while yet. Anyone else had this before?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got a waterproof bag last November and noticed a few weeks ago that the taped seam around one of the zips is coming away. The damage isn't massive but will get worse.

Submitted an online claim with the manufacturer and they've upheld the claim. I have two options.

1) contact the retailer for a full refund
2) accept a replacement from manufacturer. (Not relevant to my point but it's a superior bag to what I got)

Both options require me to submit photographic evidence of the bag slashed or one of the pockets removed.

This seems such a waste as I could have given it to someone to use. It would still be functional as a golf bag for a while yet. Anyone else had this before?
I think you've answered your own question there. They don't want someone getting a free bag. I've definitely heard of this happening before, somebody else made a topic about here a while back.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I think you've answered your own question there. They don't want someone getting a free bag. I've definitely heard of this happening before, somebody else made a topic about here a while back.
Yeah. Just seems such a waste in this modern, environmentally friendly world. Destroy a perfectly functional bag with minimal damage.
Guess I'll just need to get the Stanley knife out.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah. Just seems such a waste in this modern, environmentally friendly world. Destroy a perfectly functional bag with minimal damage.
Guess I'll just need to get the Stanley knife out.
Definitely, I would hate to do it. I'd rather send it back to the company myself so they can at least recycle it, or if they don't at least I'm not responsible for it.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I remember years ago there was a documentary about Taylormade. All the shoes that got returned faulty but still in warranty were slashed and I think, burned. They could have sent them to people who needed them in poorer countries. Absolute waste.

TheBlackCat

Hacker
Visit site
I had the same issue about 18 months ago with a Big Max waterproof golf bag, had to cut out the main pocket of the bag before a replacement was sent out.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Yes, I've heard of this before. It happened with a product we supply. There was a manufacturing error and a massive recall and the manufacturer agreed to replace all the potentially faulty items. Basically the company agreed to replace item in question without the need for it to be returned, but a photo had to be submitted with a hole drilled in the side of the vessel to prevent it from being re-used. This was more to do with safety and ensure nobody else would use it.
It also prevents anyone else who might buy it submitting an additional claim. It may seem a waste but if you're getting a refund or a replacement bag then it's just one of those things.

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
I had the same issue about 18 months ago with a Big Max waterproof golf bag, had to cut out the main pocket of the bag before a replacement was sent out.

Funny you should say that. Same manufacturer. Seems like it might be a design flaw.

Think I'm swaying towards the refund option.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I worked one summer, many years ago, for a very large camping company. They kept their tents for 2 years, 3 at most. At the end of their time they were all destroyed with stanley knives. We had lots of requests by customers to buy them, we asked if they could be given to charities, but they were all rejected. They were in corporate colours, they didn't want them to be misused in the future. I'd like to think they had a different policy now but I'm not sure. Such wastefullness, along with the bags, seems wrong in the current world. There has to be a better way of dealing with this sort of situation.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Deja Vu? I'm sure we had another thread on here not too long back with the same content.

I guess it's so you don't do something like keep the old one and sell the new one, or sell the old one etc. Does seem like a waste, but get where they are coming from.