Golf Bag - need help choosing

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi Folks – newbie to golf and in general to forum. Hoping for some guidance. I invested a little in some good second hand clubs to see me through the early months/years of my journey into golf (loving it at the moment) and want to invest in a good bag to keep them and my gear in good nick.

I want a fully separated 14 section top to protect the shafts/grips etc and ideally an external putter bay as I have a decent putter also. I have narrowed it down to 4 which I have linked to below. You will see that the prices are all similar (best prices online including delivery to Northern Ireland)

Only concern – they don’t all make it clear as to whether they are solely powered cart bags or push trolleys or both. I do not have or want a powered cart. I do have a push trolley which I have never used (got as present – new) to date. Before I purchased my second hand clubs I was using just a few odd clubs in a small stand bag. Will these bags all fit on any brand of push trolley? I am not sure how this works and if so what are your thoughts or experiences with any or all of these 4 below. Need your help thanks.

1) Sun Mountain C-130 Cart Bag (£99.00 seems very good price compared to the other sites)

http://www.americangolf.co.uk/product/Sun-Mountain-Golf-C-130-Cart-Bag/p82684.aspx

2) Nike Tour Golf Cart Tour Bag 11 (£102)

http://www.118golf.co.uk/Golf-Bags-Golf-...43bd9pd9750.htm

3) Powakaddy Deluxe 111 Golf Cart Bag (£110)

http://www.118golf.co.uk/Golf-Bags-Golf-...3bd8pd10404.htm

4) Ping Pioneer LC Golf Cart Bag (£109)

http://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/product/Ping-Golf-Pioneer-LC-Golf-Cart-Bag/p78812.aspx

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
thanks for the quick replies. Do all cart bags fit push trolleys unless they say otherwise or are they mostly for electric/powered trolleys

B

birdieman

A cart or trolley bag will fit a trolley (push, pull or electric) best, it's designed with a non-pocketed area which lines up with the frame of the trolley therefore it sits balanced with equal weight on each side of the trolley frame.

If you go and buy a tour bag (which is huge and designed to hold a pros amount of gear and be carried by a person) they do not sit as neatly on a trolley and you'll end up having one side pocket squashed into the trolley frame. This is similar with many carry/stand bags which will go on a trolley ok but accessing pockets won't be so easy and balance will be off centre.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks that's answered my question re what bags fit trolleys.

I have narrowed it down to the Powakaddy and the Sun Mountain. Getting hard to ignore that price from American Golf for the C-130 (£99) as everyone else is selling it for £160.

General views across the net is that they are both excellent bags with very similar capabilities. Be buying over the next 24 hours - really appreciate any further views

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Be buying over the next 24 hours - really appreciate any further views

I got the powakaddy bag and yes it is a good bag but the plastic stuff has come away from around the zips and the carry handle on the front, I doubt if I would get another one TBH.

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I bought a second hand powakaddy cart bag from fleabay for £60 in very good condition. It fits perfectly onto my push trolley and you full access to all the pockets.

I would definitely recommend the PK cart bag, although the SM one does look good. Have a look on fleabay though as there are some bargains to be had.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thanks Dave. From a little further reading I still have a concern re both. I use a bog standard 2 wheel pull trolley (dont want anything more fancy/able etc) and both these bags appear to be for power/push trolleys.

How well do they function on pull trolleys. I read something about the access to clubs being reversed and more difficult if using a pull trolley as opposed to the motorised ones. Not sure I know what this means. Would love to hear from someone using them on pull trolleys (the type you can hire out on courses)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
For a pull trolley I would get a lighter weight bag. There are a load of good ones out there but Sun Mountain look as good as any to me

Chris

daveyc2k2

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would say it would be fine on a pull trolley. I have a push trolley and fittings for these are exactly the same as the pull trolley so should not affect how the bag fits.

I used to use a stand bag on a pull trolley but as was said earlier it would cut off access to some pockets.

The best thing would be to go a golf shop and try out a cart bag on a pull trolley in the shop to check it fits properly.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
£99 for a C130 is a really good price. Best if you could see them though and check out the usefulness of the pockets for what you want. Some, even good make bags, are not cut particularly generously, and on others that external putter tube takes up a lot of space internally.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
£99 for a C130 is a really good price. Best if you could see them though and check out the usefulness of the pockets for what you want. Some, even good make bags, are not cut particularly generously, and on others that external putter tube takes up a lot of space internally.

The bag is ideal for my needs - but I'm concerned big time now as to whether it would work well enough on a pull trolley. Will try and find a stockists and see it on a pull trolley

B

birdieman

One word of caution abour Sun Mountain - had a C130 which was a great bag in terms of weight, pockets, design etc. It was let down imo by the fact the rainhood didn't work great - when it was fastened on and wet, gaps would appear where it joins the bag rim and let water in. Doesn't sound like a big problem but it was enough for me to change my bag. In the UK you need a watertight set up.