Golf anxiety - help!

MarkCluster

Visit site
Hi all

For the past couple of years I have been experiencing worse and worse golf anxiety - but it's nothing to do with how I play. I'm worried, for no reason at all (no previous incidents), that i'll hit someone with my ball.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, any ideas on how I can try to sort this?

Again, never had this problem before and like I say it's not come from any previous incident, I just suddenly feel crippled with this fear and don't know who can help.

TIA
Mark

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Speak to a doctor? Get something for your anxiety?

Other than that I have no idea what would help.

MarkCluster

Visit site
Speak to a doctor? Get something for your anxiety?

Other than that I have no idea what would help.
I do want to speak to a doctor, I just kind of wanted to know if anyone else has any similar experience and could offer some personal tips rather than just medication. Right now I feel very alone with it all

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I doubt anything we can say would help you with this. What you have is an anxiety disorder, so I imagine if you see a doctor they will put you in contact with a therapist of some sort to talk it over. I have an anxiety disorder over something completely different, and that's pretty much what happened with me anyway. If therapy doesn't work.. hypnosis??

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I’ve lived with anxiety to different degrees for most of my life. So I know a thing or two about it!

First thing to realise is that the brain is a predictive machine. It will run scenarios automatically of possible negative outcomes. No matter how remote the possibility, if the brain thinks that a negative outcome is possible it will let you know about it so you can avoid it. So it’s really helpful firstly to understand that the thought you have about hitting someone with a golf ball is what you don’t want to have happen. reminding yourself about this when you get the thought and feeling will take the sting out of it.

All golfers can have these thoughts. But sometimes the emotion attached to the thought becomes amplified. Like in your case. You find it difficult to shake off because no matter what you tell yourself your brain knows that hitting someone is actually a genuine possibility. So second step is to ask yourself if you have done everything to minimise the risk (because minimising the risk is all anyone can do). That is, is the fairway clear, do I have the right club, etc.

Third thing is find out what your perceived negative outcome is. What do you think would happen if you did hit someone with a ball? Is it actually a fear of looking foolish?

Fourth, when you’ve identified the fear maybe you can address that. If it’s a fear of looking foolish for example then you can begin to tell yourself “well maybe I’ll feel that way initially but it will pass. It’s only embarrassment, I’ll survive that!” Whatever truthful words that works for you. The point is here to learn that you can cope with it. The emotional valence of the thought will then begin to recede.

MarkCluster

Visit site
I doubt anything we can say would help you with this. What you have is an anxiety disorder, so I imagine if you see a doctor they will put you in contact with a therapist of some sort to talk it over. I have an anxiety disorder over something completely different, and that's pretty much what happened with me anyway. If therapy doesn't work.. hypnosis??
Thank you for the reply, much appreciated and I will look into hypnosis

MarkCluster

Visit site
I’ve lived with anxiety to different degrees for most of my life. So I know a thing or two about it!

First thing to realise is that the brain is a predictive machine. It will run scenarios automatically of possible negative outcomes. No matter how remote the possibility, if the brain thinks that a negative outcome is possible it will let you know about it so you can avoid it. So it’s really helpful firstly to understand that the thought you have about hitting someone with a golf ball is what you don’t want to have happen. reminding yourself about this when you get the thought and feeling will take the sting out of it.

All golfers can have these thoughts. But sometimes the emotion attached to the thought becomes amplified. Like in your case. You find it difficult to shake off because no matter what you tell yourself your brain knows that hitting someone is actually a genuine possibility. So second step is to ask yourself if you have done everything to minimise the risk (because minimising the risk is all anyone can do). That is, is the fairway clear, do I have the right club, etc.

Third thing is find out what your perceived negative outcome is. What do you think would happen if you did hit someone with a ball? Is it actually a fear of looking foolish?

Fourth, when you’ve identified the fear maybe you can address that. If it’s a fear of looking foolish for example then you can begin to tell yourself “well maybe I’ll feel that way initially but it will pass. It’s only embarrassment, I’ll survive that!” Whatever truthful words that works for you. The point is here to learn that you can cope with it. The emotional valence of the thought will then begin to recede.

Thank you for taking the time to write this reply. I will try break it down into these steps like you suggest, to get to the bottom of what it is i'm so worried about really. It's reassuring to have such calm replies, I don't feel so foolish now thank you

MarkCluster

Visit site
I've had a recurrence after 10 years+. The comments/ glib advice are time, talking and tablets.

It can be horrendous; you're not going nuts just too much adrenaline at the wrong time. I use meditation but recently came across this book which I find very insightful with exercises.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076PQG2S4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_d_asin_title_o07?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you so much, I will get the book! Can I ask, was your problem the same as mine? Thank you so much

AdamW

Visit site
Have you thought about insurance? it is only around £30 for a good one.

I have the same worries about cars, windows, people etc but at least i know with the insurance i have help with the financial and legal side if the worst was to happen which helps keep the worry down a lot more.

I try to play at quieter times when there is not many people about as well, maybe that would also help? Found courses can empty out around 12 clock, people will be eating lunch who plan to go in the afternoon and the 9-10 o'clock people will be half way round.