Gokart mk2

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I'm sure you'll enjoy the GoKart. I'm not sure how long I've had mine now. I bought it within their first year of trading, had it serviced once, bought an 18 hole lithium battery off eBay years ago and still going strong. Our course is pretty hilly and it's never run out. I keep looking at the Mk.2 but the old bus keeps on running.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
"I think it's a much nicer looking trolley than the mark 1 and would highly recommend it. "

Thank you for the recommendation (and all the comments from everyone). After a recent back injury, I realised I needed to stop carrying my bag, and this thread helped me to find what I believe will be the perfect trolley for me. A manual MK 2, with 18 hole lithium battery, has been ordered. I hope it turns up before winter arrives (3 week lead time, apparently).
Aaaah...... I just assume that everyone will opt for the Automatic as, for me, this is one of the major, positive, features of the trolley.

dprees

Visit site
Deciding between manual and automatic was the hardest bit of the process. I decided to go for the manual, since this is my first power trolley, knowing that I can get it converted later on if I decide I'd rather have that feature. Does it really make much of a difference?

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Deciding between manual and automatic was the hardest bit of the process. I decided to go for the manual, since this is my first power trolley, knowing that I can get it converted later on if I decide I'd rather have that feature. Does it really make much of a difference?

I converted mine a few years ago and much prefer the automatic - had mine for 10 1/2 years now. It's a bit odd at first, especially if you just give your trolley a bit of a push to the side when you are heading for the green and then you realise it is heading off into the distance!

Once you get used to it it just becomes part of you when you are walking and is so much easier to change the pace than fiddling with a control.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I converted mine a few years ago and much prefer the automatic - had mine for 10 1/2 years now. It's a bit odd at first, especially if you just give your trolley a bit of a push to the side when you are heading for the green and then you realise it is heading off into the distance!

Once you get used to it it just becomes part of you when you are walking and is so much easier to change the pace than fiddling with a control.
Yes... I'd agree fully with this.

Last edited:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
My GK Mk 1 is 11 years old and working fine but my 18 hole lithium battery which is 5 years old has run out of juice after 27 holes recently where previously with a bit of management I easily got 36 holes.

I keep everything I need in my locker and as a consequence of getting 36 holes out of it I only need to take the battery home for charging every other round.

With one eye on the age of my GoKart equipment I have been thinking about moving on to the Mk 2. Can anyone with an 18 hole lithium Mk 2 trolley/battery confirm that it will actually do 36 holes.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My GK Mk 1 is 11 years old and working fine but my 18 hole lithium battery which is 5 years old has run out of juice after 27 holes recently where previously with a bit of management I easily got 36 holes.

I keep everything I need in my locker and as a consequence of getting 36 holes out of it I only need to take the battery home for charging every other round.

With one eye on the age of my GoKart equipment I have been thinking about moving on to the Mk 2. Can anyone with an 18 hole lithium Mk 2 trolley/battery confirm that it will actually do 36 holes.
Yes, with management, mine will & our course is not flat.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

This may be the reason it's underperforming after just 5 years. Ideally needs a full recharge after every use..... after 8 years mine was still good for a managed 36 holes.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could anyone tell me if the Mk1 winter wheels are transferable to the Mk2 version?

Thanks
No they're not. As I found that the Mk 1 H/Hogs clogged up very badly I've been using H/hog covers at half the price..... which is just as well as most of the winter I now carry as the Club is much more frequently insisting that it's trollies on the Buggy paths. Pretty annoying that you can't get to use winter wheels on the course & prevents some members from playing at all.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
As has been said before, unless there is a skidding risk on hilly courses, the STRI and others indicate that they do more long term harm than good (PSI).

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not looking to derail this but I have had a Mk1, lithium battery, for about 5 years now. It is not noisy, it has never toppled. I've played with people who have Motocaddy, Stewart or Powakaddy trollies and none are any quieter, or noisier, than mine. Maybe I've been lucky and the person making it took extra care to make sure all of the bearings etc were super smooth?

Mk2 looks nicer, I'm sure the folding and unfolding mechanism is better than the Mk1 battery clip in method as well. I'll happily get the Mk2 when mine packs in, hopefully years away.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
As has been said before, unless there is a skidding risk on hilly courses, the STRI and others indicate that they do more long term harm than good (PSI).
I think that's a fair point. My Mk.1 GoKart has the original treaded wheels which hold quite well, but ours is a hilly course and some of the skid marks(!) you see from the smooth wheeled trollies do make a mess.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aaaah.... has been research on this? 'Cos just looking at the resulting effects of each on the course it's pretty obvious that h/hogs are less damaging to the surface.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Aaaah.... has been research on this? 'Cos just looking at the resulting effects of each on the course it's pretty obvious that h/hogs are less damaging to the surface.
Yes, considerable. It is all about the weight exerted on each individual 'spike' as opposed to being distributed over the surface of the wheel. The depressions compact the earth causing root and grass blade damage. In addition water gathers in the in the hole, which also affects the roots. The results become apparent when the grass starts (or doesn't) to grow.
However, if the course is hilly, the above may be offset by the reduction of torn turf from skid marks and the danger of players slipping or skidding downhill with a runaway trolley.

But all this is considerably less than that caused by buggies.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I remember that @Leftie did a lot of research into hedgehog wheels over the last few years and I believe his home course (Sundridge Park) has now banned their use other than when there is frost on the grass. Maybe he was onto something.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I remember that @Leftie did a lot of research into hedgehog wheels over the last few years and I believe his home course (Sundridge Park) has now banned their use other than when there is frost on the grass. Maybe he was onto something.
When I was on the relevant EG committee I spent some time at the STRI and with BIGGA (as they were both based in Yorkshire). Hedgehog wheels was one of the topics that I was interested in.