Gokart mk2

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
My gokart is on its way out and is probably now due a replacement.

The obvious choice is the mk2 but I would like to hear any pros and cons before I take the plunge. Also are things like the bottle holder, umbrella holder compatible with the mk2? I think they are but wasnt 100% sure.

The trolley is 5 years old and was running well until recently, I went to plug the battery in and I heard a pop either from the kart or the battery. Since then the motor is noisy and when I charge the battery now it flickers green and goes solid green shortly afterwards. Never seen that before, normally goes red then green when fully charged.

£138 service plus potentially a new 18 hole lithium battery (£200) I may as well add a little more and buy new I think.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
My gokart is on its way out and is probably now due a replacement.

The obvious choice is the mk2 but I would like to hear any pros and cons before I take the plunge. Also are things like the bottle holder, umbrella holder compatible with the mk2? I think they are but wasnt 100% sure.

The trolley is 5 years old and was running well until recently, I went to plug the battery in and I heard a pop either from the kart or the battery. Since then the motor is noisy and when I charge the battery now it flickers green and goes solid green shortly afterwards. Never seen that before, normally goes red then green when fully charged.

£138 service plus potentially a new 18 hole lithium battery (£200) I may as well add a little more and buy new I think.
The method of putting the battery on is much easier.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After 8 happy years with a Mk 1, I moved to the Mk 2 18 months ago..... it's much improved in a number of areas. Motor is quieter. Battery fit is much improved as it no longer locks the frame in place. The trolley bag fits at a much better angle for club access. The 'Black' frame finish keeps it's quality much better. The Mk 1 began to 'grey-out' after long exposure to the sun. Yes, I used the same brolly holder.
Still the best value & most reliable trolley about IMO.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
After 8 happy years with a Mk 1, I moved to the Mk 2 18 months ago..... it's much improved in a number of areas. Motor is quieter. Battery fit is much improved as it no longer locks the frame in place. The trolley bag fits at a much better angle for club access. The 'Black' frame finish keeps it's quality much better. The Mk 1 began to 'grey-out' after long exposure to the sun. Yes, I used the same brolly holder.
Still the best value & most reliable trolley about IMO.

I found with the mk1 that the bag rest had a tendency to flop down , have you seen that issue with the mk2?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why is it you can spec the mk2 trolley with a 36 hole lithium battery but it's not orderable as an accessory/spare part?
I think I'll plumb for the 18 hole one anyway but was curious.
I've only ever had the 18 hole Lithium...... will do 36 easily with a bit of management on the flat & downhill bits. Never had it fail
I found with the mk1 that the bag rest had a tendency to flop down , have you seen that issue with the mk2?
Now has a clip retainer to eliminate that happening.

TigerBear

Visit site
5 years use good mileage?

If I'd shelled out nearly a grand on the likes of a Powakaddy or motocaddy I'd be pretty disappointed at that.

Tinkerman

Visit site
Have had my MK1 for 9 years next month. I got the automatic upgrade and have had it serviced during that time. The 18 hole lithium battery I bought from go kart direct only lasted 3 years before it started running out during the round (not much fun pushing it round the rest of the course!). I just bought a 36 hole lithium off eBay for £145. Expect that to last a lot longer.
I tried a motocaddy whilst waiting for the new battery and don't like the control. Couldn't wait to get my go kart going again.
I recommend you go and try a couple before buying a new one. For around £280 you could have your MK1 running like new again

TigerBear

Visit site
Have had my MK1 for 9 years next month. I got the automatic upgrade and have had it serviced during that time. The 18 hole lithium battery I bought from go kart direct only lasted 3 years before it started running out during the round (not much fun pushing it round the rest of the course!). I just bought a 36 hole lithium off eBay for £145. Expect that to last a lot longer.
I tried a motocaddy whilst waiting for the new battery and don't like the control. Couldn't wait to get my go kart going again.
I recommend you go and try a couple before buying a new one. For around £280 you could have your MK1 running like new again

Speaking to one of the salesman at Gokart and he was saying only buy the 36 hole battery if you're going to play 36 holes on a frequent basis or more than 18 holes anyway.

It's all about substantially draining the battery down and giving it a proper charge on a regular basis so that you get longevity out the battery.

Tinkerman

Visit site
Speaking to one of the salesman at Gokart and he was saying only buy the 36 hole battery if you're going to play 36 holes on a frequent basis or more than 18 holes anyway.

It's all about substantially draining the battery down and giving it a proper charge on a regular basis so that you get longevity out the battery.
Good to know, thanks. I play a hilly course so I suspect that drains the battery more. Plus it's a small trek to the practice area.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Thinking about it more my trolley must be way older than that, probably 7+ years.

About the same age as mine. When mine starts to look a little ropey I get it serviced and it comes back overhauled from top to bottom with a further (I think) 2 year warranty . Otherwise, outside of the warranty I just phone and they send any replacement spares as quickly as anything - I only wish there was a similar service for the person using their trolley ??

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Had a Mk2 for a couple of years but had to move it on.
Used it at the Zoo but then moved to Ellesborough...
On a flattish course it was great, no problem at all.
Current course is very undulating, up, down, left and right and often any 2 of those...
With the battery being so high on the structure, the CoG is much higher than other trolleys.
This made it quite unstable, especially as we're prone to a decent breeze most of the time as well.
I went through 3 GPS holders and a brolly holder due to the trolley tipping.
Current Motocaddy M3 has a much lower CoG as the battery sits 4 inches off the ground..the wheelbase seems wider too.
So it's much more stable. I think it's gone over once in 18 months and that was a sudden gust with the brolly up.
But the GK MK2 is a decent bet on flatter or more gently undulating courses..

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Had one of the original mark 1's and then moved up to the automatic version.
Have now got the mark II and much prefer it.
It's much quieter and as others have said, the battery is much easier to fit into place. It's nice that the kart will stay locked in place without the battery installed.
I have the standard 18 hole lithium battery, have not used it for 36 holes but after 18 there are still 3 lights left on the battery indicator so I don't doubt it would do 36 if used carefully.
I think it's a much nicer looking trolley than the mark 1 and would highly recommend it.

TigerBear

Visit site
Good to know, thanks. I play a hilly course so I suspect that drains the battery more. Plus it's a small trek to the practice area.

You should be fine mate if you're draining the battery enough. It's all about the maintenance of these lithium batteries. It needs to fall below 40 or 30% (I think the salesman said) and then recharged after each use so that you're maintaining it properly and getting the proper shelf life out of it!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've only ever had the 18 hole Lithium...... will do 36 easily with a bit of management on the flat & downhill bits. Never had it fail

Now has a clip retainer to eliminate that happening.
My biggest issue with the trolley , mine is 10yrs old I think. It’s a bit noisy and needs alignment but it’s still a goer .. think I should provision for a replacement. I have had it serviced and I do have a lithium battery so it’s a few more seasons in yet :)

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a Mk2 for a couple of years but had to move it on.
Used it at the Zoo but then moved to Ellesborough...
On a flattish course it was great, no problem at all.
Current course is very undulating, up, down, left and right and often any 2 of those...
With the battery being so high on the structure, the CoG is much higher than other trolleys.
This made it quite unstable, especially as we're prone to a decent breeze most of the time as well.
I went through 3 GPS holders and a brolly holder due to the trolley tipping.
Current Motocaddy M3 has a much lower CoG as the battery sits 4 inches off the ground..the wheelbase seems wider too.
So it's much more stable. I think it's gone over once in 18 months and that was a sudden gust with the brolly up.
But the GK MK2 is a decent bet on flatter or more gently undulating courses..
I got my go kart for Ellesborough, have a nice original clicgear but it was too much hard work and carrying was easier. The Go Kart was fine, but yes holding on to it on the steep hills is required. But it never toppled down or was blown over

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site

I figure it could be more like £340 to get my mk1 like new again. Think the battery needs replacing and it's £138 for the service with just 1yr warranty.

I used the battery for a round so it should be fairly discharged ( red led when plugged in) but it showed green straightaway. This was the first time i tried charging after I heard a pop when last plugged into the trolley.

I will use the trolley this weekend so will see if the battery holds up and returns to normal. It could be the mains charger at fault I suppose but unlikely.

Good feedback about the mk2 so that is favourite at the moment.

Btw the only time my mk1 has toppled over is when I have parked it on a slope. Tipping over due to taking the bag off before taking the brolley out of the holder is more of an issue. I'm sure we've all done that a few times! I'm sure that can still happen on mk2 though.

dprees

Visit site
"I think it's a much nicer looking trolley than the mark 1 and would highly recommend it. "

Thank you for the recommendation (and all the comments from everyone). After a recent back injury, I realised I needed to stop carrying my bag, and this thread helped me to find what I believe will be the perfect trolley for me. A manual MK 2, with 18 hole lithium battery, has been ordered. I hope it turns up before winter arrives (3 week lead time, apparently).