Going to try out some hybrids today

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
At my local American golf. Promised myself I wouldn't buy anything else golf related for a while but seriously struggling with my irons lower than a 5 and I've never even tried a hybrid before...let's see what it's like!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
May take a bit of getting used to, but they certainly help my game - I even use a 27* 6i replacement! Bag is full of head-covers!

sammyboy

Visit site
Have fun. Sure you know but remember a 3h isn't the same as a 3i. Generally speaking the 3h will go a fair bit further than a 3i. Tbh I seem them more as a fairway wood replacement than an iron replacement.

I carry both a 3i and 3h. Hybrid is very versatile and is great when you have a long approach and a less than amazing lie. The hybrids imo have a habit of going a bit high which can cause problems with strong wind. But they save a lot of shots. Ball in nasty tough under trees = punching it 100 yards plus low out rolling along the fairway. Can even flip them around and use them as a left hander if you find yourself right against something.

sammyboy

Visit site
May take a bit of getting used to, but they certainly help my game - I even use a 27* 6i replacement! Bag is full of head-covers!

Bit of getting used to? Just hit it like you would your 3 or 4 iron off the deck. Or off the tee if that's your thing. I don't have a special swing for hybrids.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bit of getting used to? Just hit it like you would your 3 or 4 iron off the deck. Or off the tee if that's your thing. I don't have a special swing for hybrids.
I was always told hit a hybrid as if it's a 6 iron.
End of the day, whatever works for you is the best answer:)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A hybrid can be a great addition to your bag. So much easier to hit from fluffy lies than a long iron.
Great for little chips when close to the green if you are a bit nervy using a wedge.
Only downside for me is that the distance they go can be a little inconsistent.

shun_naka

Club Champion
Visit site
Well, as I typically expected I bought a 4hybrid..out of all the different kinds I was looking at a coba fmax 4 hybrid, new for 75quid which was a great deal

Felt great to hit and it's good knowing I have an option other than 6 iron!

sammyboy

Visit site
I have hybrids up to 7. ?

How do you manage the gaps? I know for a fact that my 3 hybrid is a good 30 yards further than my 3 iron.

So lets assume you hit your 8 iron 140ish. 7 hybrid would be what 170?

Have you played with the lofts on your irons or shortened the shafts of the hybrids to try and match them?

Everyone says hybrids replace irons but for me they are more like fairway woods. I'm okay with them being longer but I wouldn't fancy being 160 from the pin and having to mess around taking a bit off a swing to have a chance of getting it on the green.

Well, as I typically expected I bought a 4hybrid..out of all the different kinds I was looking at a coba fmax 4 hybrid, new for 75quid which was a great deal

Felt great to hit and it's good knowing I have an option other than 6 iron!

Nice one. You will start enjoying longer par 3's a lot more! Especially when it's not windy. They come down so steep with a nice strike you can start aiming darts at the pins! If you use the hybrid smart you can save 5 shots a round without having the epic skill of a tour pro just by utilizing the do everything club. There was a reason they were originally called rescue clubs.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
How do you manage the gaps? I know for a fact that my 3 hybrid is a good 30 yards further than my 3 iron.

So lets assume you hit your 8 iron 140ish. 7 hybrid would be what 170?

Have you played with the lofts on your irons or shortened the shafts of the hybrids to try and match them?

Everyone says hybrids replace irons but for me they are more like fairway woods. I'm okay with them being longer but I wouldn't fancy being 160 from the pin and having to mess around taking a bit off a swing to have a chance of getting it on the green.
It's really not that difficult to manage. My 6 iron was 26° loft, couldn't hit it. I use a 28° hybrid at the moment instead. That's only 2° stronger than my 7 iron, but obviously with it being a hybrid and a touch hotter the gaps work out fine. After that I have a 23° which might be a bit of a gap, but I don't think I hit a consistent enough yardage at the longer end of the bag for it to be a major problem. I can grip down a bit on the 23 and be there or thereabouts.

I do agree that a 5 hybrid doesn't necessarily equal a 5 iron, but you just need to hit some and see how far they go really. ?‍♂️