Going from a 58 to a 56

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can it really make that much of a difference going from a 58 to a 56.

I am struggling a bit having changed from a Ping tour s 58/10 to a Orca 56 with no bounce
stamped on the club.
Im looking for a Ping tour s again as the 56 just wont play ball.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought so myself.

I read that 1° is equal to about 3 yards carry. Based on that you'd potentially gain 6 yards on a like for like strike.

Could it be the lack of bounce on the Orka causing you issue? I know I struggle with low bounce wedges (Digger).

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Funny thing a couple of years ago i was given a new Mizuno 58 deg wedge ( same colour as my Black ox MP62 irons) by a mate. I tried this for a month and in the end went back to the MP10 56 deg which i hit well. There was no difference in the clubs in bounce only loft.

This thing (still tucked away somewhere) i would either thin or fat....

!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't have thought so myself.

I read that 1° is equal to about 3 yards carry. Based on that you'd potentially gain 6 yards on a like for like strike.

Could it be the lack of bounce on the Orka causing you issue? I know I struggle with low bounce wedges (Digger).

It could well be the bounce factor.
Im not really bothered about the difference in distance as I can practice that,however
more in the stike feeling very different.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If its an Orka RS18 56 degree and has not been bent then it will have 12 degrees of bounce, so is by no means a low bounce wedge (its the highest bounce of the 3 I carry) and the one I use the most duie to having the bounce

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
It could well be the bounce factor.
Im not really bothered about the difference in distance as I can practice that,however
more in the stike feeling very different.

I have 7° and 10° bounce on my wedges.

I tried a low bounce (3° from memory) about 18 months ago and while the strike was ok, I could have started my own turfing business with the size of the divots I was taking.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
I went from an MD superstrong 58 to a Vokey 56/11 degree and have to say I can play all of the shots I did with the 58, if not slightly more accurately.