God awful smelly golf shoes

Darlophil

Club Champion
Visit site
As the weather starts to draw in with autumn arriving and feet start to become ever more soggy (too many trips to the rough) how do you deal with the smell that lives in your shoes?

I've tried leaving them in the car boot for the next round but then the smell hits me the next time I play which sends my 1st tee shot OOB. I've tried leaving them out to dry but they don't usually get long enough to dry before I'm playing again. I've tried spraying them with febreeze but that didn't work (maybe the smell overpowered the febreeze).

The next step is trying talcum powder to draw out the moisture.

Buying new shoes isn't an option as I've only had these about 5 weeks or so

Any tips?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Take them home, pack newspaper in them to soak out the moisture and let them dry naturally. A good clean and a spray will help. Better still get a spare pair (or 15) and then you can rotate them

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
If there that bad put some scrunched up newspaper in them after your game and don't leave them in your car they won't dry out in there. Talc will turn into a nasty paste.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I used to suffer with this until I got a second pair and used them alternately giving them more time to dry out naturally.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Been looking for a solution last couple of months for a 'friend' :D

They've tried those odour neutraliser's sprays but no joy, talc powder doesn't work

Latest one is car air fresheners, one in each shoe (been in for 5 days now so will ask what they're like for the weekend)

Darlophil

Club Champion
Visit site
If there that bad put some scrunched up newspaper in them after your game and don't leave them in your car they won't dry out in there. Talc will turn into a nasty paste.

Well the last thing I did before heading to work was...you guessed it, put talc in. I'll report back on paste issues this evening.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Also important to attack the source of the 'problem' which is your feet.

A quick spray of the anti-bacterial spray on the feet before you go out - and after too - a few times should help.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Buy a pair of Sealskinz socks, saves buying another pair of shoes.
Make sure you wash the socks after each round following the washing instructions carefully.

Result... dry unsmelly feet so unsmelly shoes.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
As the weather starts to draw in with autumn arriving and feet start to become ever more soggy (too many trips to the rough) how do you deal with the smell that lives in your shoes?

I've tried leaving them in the car boot for the next round but then the smell hits me the next time I play which sends my 1st tee shot OOB. I've tried leaving them out to dry but they don't usually get long enough to dry before I'm playing again. I've tried spraying them with febreeze but that didn't work (maybe the smell overpowered the febreeze).

The next step is trying talcum powder to draw out the moisture.

Buying new shoes isn't an option as I've only had these about 5 weeks or so

Any tips?

Which shoes are they by the way? My Nike TW13s are the comfiest things going, but my go they stink after a round.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just a thought, but have you actually tried cleaning them? Once cleaned, stuff them with newspaper (but don't leave it in too long), let them dry naturally in the house and polish them frequently to keep the leather in good nick.

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had the same problem with my Nike Lunars, no other golf shoes I had used to stink like these, even my work boots I sweat like mad in dont smell as bad.

I used to wrap my in a plastic bag then bung them in the freezer for 24 hours, freezing them kills bacteria which is why they smell.

Sid Rixon IV

Head Pro
Visit site
Our course is notoriously wet in winter and my socks and shoes were always sodden.
Then I switched to Footjoy ankle boots (don't know model) to find a huge difference.
Dry feet, dry socks, dry inners.