Cat Pee!!!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just for the record I still haven't ever had a pair of shoes as bad as these ever - they ended up in the bin.

I think that Ecco shoes are totally overrated by some and absolutely not worth the price. I had a pair of Goretex ones that were never comfortable and weren't waterproof. I did get a full refund. Also heard other stories of people chucking them because they stank.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I think that Ecco shoes are totally overrated by some and absolutely not worth the price. I had a pair of Goretex ones that were never comfortable and weren't waterproof. I did get a full refund. Also heard other stories of people chucking them because they stank.

I won't ever buy another pair, had two.pairs and they're not for me either.

Roops

Head Pro
Visit site
I have two pairs of Ecco's that are like this. The newer ones are not as bad as the older ones. I always spray them will a "trainer tamer" spray after use and clean them well. Seems to be an Ecco "thing". Strangely mu summer eccos don't suffer from this it all. Still pretty poor for what is really a premium shoe.

Pee has been used historically to tan leather, I am assuming they use some synthetic chemical now, and it's that, that is causing the whiff when combined with bacteria.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have two pairs of Ecco's that are like this. The newer ones are not as bad as the older ones. I always spray them will a "trainer tamer" spray after use and clean them well. Seems to be an Ecco "thing". Strangely mu summer eccos don't suffer from this it all. Still pretty poor for what is really a premium shoe.

Pee has been used historically to tan leather, I am assuming they use some synthetic chemical now, and it's that, that is causing the whiff when combined with bacteria.
It’ll be an ammonia based compound.. the ammonia is the smelly element

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
funny enough its only my Biom soft spikes that smell, all the ones with spikes are fine..

I tend to leave the current whiffers at the club, when they do come home i spray RL body spey in them thats strong enough to kill any germs... luckily i get a RL pack ever Chritmas from one of the wife relatives so have a good supply as i would never spray in on me its stings like bugger

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
[Realise this is an old topic but I never saw it the first time.]

This pretty much happens with all my football boots. I always take them out of the bag to air them when I get home (as I do with golf shoes) but eventually they will just stink regardless. I think the more padding and the more comfortable they are, that padding seems to soak up the sweat and take too long to dry out which is why you get that nasty damp smell. I have a spray, no idea who makes it as we just grabbed it from a supermarket, but I figure it's similar to that stuff the use on the bowling alley shoes. I spray absolutely loads of it in, and it lessens the smell by maybe 20%. That's the best I've got. :LOL:

A few years back I put a pair of trainers in the washing machine for this, but I left the drying cycle on, and when I took them out they were spotless, smelled fresh as a daisy, and the soles had melted off the bottom. I tried to superglue them back on but found it impossible to line up right so they were ruined.

D

Deleted member 23344

I have two pairs of Ecco shoes, one spiked and one spikeless, and neither have ever smelt bad. Sounds like I’ve been fortunate. I really like them because they do an extra wide fit.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I have two pairs of Ecco shoes, one spiked and one spikeless, and neither have ever smelt bad. Sounds like I’ve been fortunate. I really like them because they do an extra wide fit.
I've also got two pairs, they are the most comfortable shoes I've worn, but both stink. I put bicarbonate of soda in them, seems to help a bit.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clean them

Let them dry

Stick in a bag in the freezer for a few days (kills all the bacteria that causes the smell) let them thaw inside

Should get rid of the smell

Got a pair that hummed a bit after so I repeated it seem fine now. I always dry them with cedar blocks in to help get rid of smells

HamiltonGuy

Visit site
@Orikoru shin pads were worse than any boots! When my golf shoes get a bit whiffy I stick them in the machine machine if they survive great and they smell good. If they don’t they were getting binned anyway

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
My mate had the same but he was convinced it was the actual Yak leather than bacteria from sweaty feet. Not sure how you’d fix that.

Robin Hood

Visit site
Clean them

Let them dry

Stick in a bag in the freezer for a few days (kills all the bacteria that causes the smell) let them thaw inside

Should get rid of the smell

Got a pair that hummed a bit after so I repeated it seem fine now. I always dry them with cedar blocks in to help get rid of smells

Blimey
After reading this thread I would never buy Ecco shoes.
The lengths some of you are going to is incredible.
I'm sticking with my FJ's

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Blimey
After reading this thread I would never buy Ecco shoes.
The lengths some of you are going to is incredible.
I'm sticking with my FJ's
Nothing to do with the brand of shoe, nor what beast the leather came from!
Much more to do with the person wearing them and/or the treatment/conditions used.

I have both Eccos and FJs and have (mis)treated them equally badly. None of them have 'honked' even after what could be considered 'severe misuse'!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Nothing to do with the brand of shoe, nor what beast the leather came from!
Much more to do with the person wearing them and/or the treatment/conditions used.

I have both Eccos and FJs and have (mis)treated them equally badly. None of them have 'honked' even after what could be considered 'severe misuse'!

Absolute codswallop.

I've never had a pair of "smelly" or more to the point vile smelling golf shoes in my life, I never had a pair prior to buying Ecco and I've never had a pair since.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Actually I remember when I first started playing golf I had a pair of Stylo Barratts rubber shoes which were worn all the time, for those of you that remember these and their construction you will know these were a rubber shoe!!!

They never stunk like Ecco either and these were a non breathable rubber waterproof shoe!!!!

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Actually I remember when I first started playing golf I had a pair of Stylo Barratts rubber shoes which were worn all the time, for those of you that remember these and their construction you will know these were a rubber shoe!!!

They never stunk like Ecco either and these were a non breathable rubber waterproof shoe!!!!

I had a pair of those, fully waterproof too.
You see them occasionally on ebay so they were obviously built to last!
(But I wouldn't say that they were collectible, rare or antique)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stylo-Ma...522303?hash=item2cff9518bf:g:UWAAAOSwZy1dsdyI

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've never had a pair of "smelly" or more to the point vile smelling golf shoes in my life, I never had a pair prior to buying Ecco and I've never had a pair since.
The above may, or may not, be down to the brand. I was only stating my observations - from over a dozen pairs of each brand over the years!

So this comment

Absolute codswallop.
Is simply wrong!

Kindly don't, effectively, call me a liar again!