Goals For 2023

Golfnut1957

Visit site
As per the title, what are they?

Mine are simple, I want to maintain my single digit HI, maybe even lower it a bit, although that won't be easy as I'm no spring chicken and the easiest way to lower my scores would be by improving my putting, but I've been trying to do that for years without success.

The second goal is to finish 2023 with the same clubs that I start it, simple no? Not for me. I change clubs like other people change underpants, but not next year.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
First one is to get out on the bloody course.....December has been a write-off weather-wise around here....

Play lots
Enjoy it
Play lots
Play some new courses too.
But mostly....play lots.

Wins, handicaps etc etc will look after themselves and will be what they'll be..

Mandofred

Visit site
Get HI down to 6.0-6.4 range
Play some opens (ok…at least one)
Take advantage of reciprocals that are available to me
Sounds a lot like mine. No Opens though. I was 6.2 towards the end of summer and then went to pieces...which caused me to try harder and those pieces turned into more pieces....and now at 8.0

We have a couple of reciprocals we play a few times that are within 30 min that we like....in fact if I was a little closer I would try to join there.

My big work this Spring is to get my short game improved. I'm not a bad putter, but my chipping is so hit+miss it's scary. Going to spend a LOT of time working on the inside 20yds distance.....chip+rolls are a crap shoot instead of being dependable. Since I'm not likely to hit my long stuff any further, I'd better get the short game improved to compensate.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Probably an impossible one given the book I’m reading (four foundations of golf) but I’d love to achieve getting all 20 scoring rounds sub 90 on my eg. That would take a lot of improvement right now and whilst initial focus would be great, that first 90+ will be like a bullet to the brain!

I think I’m going to go for enjoying being out with mates more.

Also, I’m going to try and improve course strategies and accept some key concepts in the above book.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Sounds a lot like mine. No Opens though. I was 6.2 towards the end of summer and then went to pieces...which caused me to try harder and those pieces turned into more pieces....and now at 8.0

We have a couple of reciprocals we play a few times that are within 30 min that we like....in fact if I was a little closer I would try to join there.

My big work this Spring is to get my short game improved. I'm not a bad putter, but my chipping is so hit+miss it's scary. Going to spend a LOT of time working on the inside 20yds distance.....chip+rolls are a crap shoot instead of being dependable. Since I'm not likely to hit my long stuff any further, I'd better get the short game improved to compensate.
Snap on the short game as not likely to improve that much on long game…though I’ll look for more consistency in strike with 5i-7i.

My short game inside 20yds is good but one-dimensional - so much inconsistency and ‘no idea/poor visualisation’ with my wedges, 54 and 58 wedges especially, that most of the time with a clear line to the green I default to the 8i bump and run game I‘ve played since I started some 50yrs ago on this endless journey we are on. Most of the time it’s the right shot…but sometimes I really need an alternative I can bring into play.

evemccc

Visit site
1. Keep enjoying my golf
2. Keep playing new courses and ‘treat’ courses as and when I can
3. Practice with focus a lot more - putting / short game / bunkers and full swing
4. Keep meeting good people through golf
5. Keep out of unnecessary bickering / club-politics / gossip at my club (not that there is v much…or, I should say, keep being unaware of much of it!) AND give a wide-berth to those whose company I don’t particularly enjoy
6. Learn how to shape and work the ball
7. Keep off the LIV Golf thread ?
8. Keep expanding my golf network

Smoj

Visit site
use one ball for a round (cloest i got was 15 holes)
play every mon-fri for at least 2 months in the summer
break 70 (79* my PB)

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
Snap on the short game as not likely to improve that much on long game…though I’ll look for more consistency in strike with 5i-7i.

My short game inside 20yds is good but one-dimensional - so much inconsistency and ‘no idea/poor visualisation’ with my wedges, 54 and 58 wedges especially, that most of the time with a clear line to the green I default to the 8i bump and run game I‘ve played since I started some 50yrs ago on this endless journey we are on. Most of the time it’s the right shot…but sometimes I really need an alternative I can bring into play.
I've always been more of a flop shot person.....when it's good, it's awesome. When it's bad....well.... I'm almost afraid to hit short chips, so the attitude doesn't help. The bump and run is the one I need to really improve.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Playing with an index of 9.4, which I count as being a single figure, but for 2023 I definitely want to get down to a playing handicap of 6_9 on most courses.
Book my trip to Pebble Beach for my 50th in 2024 (and include a round at Cypress Point... somehow!).
Continue with lessons and actually practice more between them. Get my swing in a more consistent place.

Last edited:

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I start every year thinking how nice it would be to have a regular shot shape with my driver. So that I could happily aim down one side of the fairway or the other with the reasonable expectation that it would either hold its course or bleed gently towards the middle of the short stuff.
But never seem to manage it.
This year though.... still yet to decide on whether to fade or draw.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
use one ball for a round (cloest i got was 15 holes)
play every mon-fri for at least 2 months in the summer
break 70 (74 my PB)

You might have to fill in the info here
How do you manage to score in the 70's losing one (or more) balls every round

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I want handicap down, I think 13 is doable (2.6 drop needed)

It'll mean sorting out the driver and then hitting more greens from around the 150m area (too often I leave it short)

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
This year I’ve gone from 16.5 to 11.8, this time next year I would like to be below 8.0.

The next big milestone score wise is to break 70, we are par 69 so that would tick off two goals in one go. Would also like to win the best gross prize in a Sunday comp too.