GM Summer meeting at Chartham Park GC, West Sussex???

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Following on from the success of the recent Ascot meet, I wondered if anyone would be interested in a "Summer" meeting at Chartham Park GC in West Sussex? No dates have been confirmed yet, but it would most probably be held in either June or July sometime, and mid-week to help keep the costs down.
The course is situated very close to Gatwick Airport so offers fairly easy access from both the M23 and M25 motorways, and is a very nice par 72 parkland course, always presented in immaculate condition.
I am negotiating prices with the the young lady in charge of events at the course and she is going to come back to me with some competitive rates. At the moment, no definite plans have been made for the format, but it could be 18, 27 or 36 holes with a meal to follow. I have suggested something fairly simple to eat afterwards, which should also help to keep the costs down.
I just wanted to get an idea of how many players might be interested so that I can see if the idea is a "goer" or not?
Rob

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Maybe, pencil me in anyway, I could probably swing it. Need a matching trophy to balance my Ascot one on the mantle piece.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Possible.

But I couldn't play 36 in a day - the knees and ankle would give up.

How about 27? Nice little 9 hole warm up, a bite to eat, and then 18 "proper" holes in the afternoon?
The course itself isn't particularly hilly... I'm not really a 36 hole player now (although if the course is particularly worthy I will force myself!) but 27 around here with a bit of a break in between is not too bad. If somebody didn't want to play the 9 in the morning I could try to negotiate two prices for those that just wanted to play in the afternoon????
The nice thing about 27 holes is that you don't have to tee off until after 10 which gives the player coming from further afield a decent chance to get there on time!
Carly (the girl who organises the society days) is very efficient, so I should hear something back either today or tomorrow regarding prices. Will post again as soon as I hear from her. I think that July is looking favourite at the moment and possibly a Thursday/Friday???
Rob

INTERESTED SO FAR (SUBJECT TO DATE)

1 SMIFFY
2 HTL
3 MEDWAYJON
4 MIDNIGHT
5 GB72
6 IMURG
7 HOMER
8 LEFTIE
9 GOLFMMAD
10 MURPH
11 HARRY MONK

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I've heard back from Carley, the two dates that are looking favourable at the moment are both Thursdays....(easier for myself and MWJ)...
16th or 30th July.
She is pricing up for 27 holes with a light lunch, should know more by the beginning of next week.
The teeing off times I am aiming for are 10.00am and 1.00pm which should mean an hours lunchbreak and a nice early finish for everyone.
Will let you know more as I get the information back
Rob

I have "advised" her that I am looking to keep the price to a maximum of £50.00 but would prefer it to be nearer £40.00 ;) ;) ;)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure but was that not one of the suggested dates for the GM Meet at the Belfry?

Having remembered that, if the Belfry meet ends up in July then I probably cannot do both but if it is in August then I am sure I can escape for both events.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Not sure but was that not one of the suggested dates for the GM Meet at the Belfry?

Having remembered that, if the Belfry meet ends up in July then I probably cannot do both but if it is in August then I am sure I can escape for both events.

I think the Belfry meeting was swinging towards the August date...I hope so, 'cos I'm on holiday during August and it fitted in with my own plans brilliantly.
If it does happen in July (The Belfry) than I will re-negoiated with Carley for an August date at Chartham Park.
I hope that makes sense, 'cos I knew what I was trying to say!!