GM research opportunity - looking for volunteers

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
Hi all

We are looking for golfers who are what we would term as 'occasional buyers' of golf magazines to take part in some research groups this winter.

I realise lots of you are GM subscribers or buy the mag frequently in which case thanks for your support and keep on doing what you are doing! However if you (or any golfing pals you know) only buy the odd issue of GM and similar quantities of the other golf mags then we really want to chat to you at GM Towers over the next couple of months

Here's the lowdown...

We want to speak to golfers who actively buy between 2 and 5 issues of Golf Monthly a year from newsstand outlets (supermarket, newsagents etc) and buy a similar number of issues of Today’s Golfer also from newsstand outlets.

We will reimburse you for your travel (up to the value of £20) to our offices in London and reward you for your time and input with a fantastic goody bag that includes over £80 worth of Titleist golf gear including a dozen Titleist ProV1 golf balls, A Titleist Players’ bag towel and Titleist cap featuring a magnetic ball marker.

Where…
GM Towers, The Blue Fin Building, 110 Southwark Street, London, SE1 0SU (nearest stations Waterloo, London Bridge & Blackfriars)

Session dates/times…
Session 1 Thursday 29 November 5pm – 7pm
Session 2 Thursday 29 November 7.30pm – 9.30pm
Session 3 Tuesday 4 December 5pm – 7pm
Session 4 Tuesday 4 December 7.30pm – 9.30pm

If you are interested in this opportunity please email Simon Nainby simon_nainby@ipcmedia.com indicating which sessions you could attend.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
So you only want voluntees from around the London Area;)

They should have had their people do this at regional golf clubs in the North, South, Midlands, East & West and then they would achieve not only a better response but more so a cross section of opinion from people who live in those areas.

Its obviously on behalf of Titleist but they'll only get a London & Home Counties view point at best and it won't really reflect the opinions of people countrywide so what's the point!

MikeH

Content Director
Staff member
Visit site
They should have had their people do this at regional golf clubs in the North, South, Midlands, East & West and then they would achieve not only a better response but more so a cross section of opinion from people who live in those areas.

Its obviously on behalf of Titleist but they'll only get a London & Home Counties view point at best and it won't really reflect the opinions of people countrywide so what's the point!

Just to clarify a few points...This is research about Golf Monthly not Titleist - those who attend will just get Titleist goodies as a thanks for giving up their time

The nature of the research means we need to do it in small groups at IPC Media HQ were our development team are based

The sort of topics/questions the development team will be covering wouldnt be affected by where you live so answers we get in Scotland would be the same as in the Souht East

Thanks

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Surely if your asking questions based on or around why people buy only 2-5 copies of either GM or TM or both from various outlets where they are visibly displayed, then that opinion has to be very different from the various demographics of a town, village or city around the country to that of London?

It just seems at face value that it would be somewhat of an isolated research programme that's all.

I obviously hope your team gets what it needs from it and the gesture of goodies for those taking part is excellent.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
GM are based in London, I dont see why it should be any other way (not all inhabitants of London, are actually from there by the way!)
I enjoy group research discussions, done a fair few for Guinness regarding their ad campaigns in the last decade and a half, most of them were conducted in pubs in Belfast. Does that mean we cannot speak for other drinkers or give a reasonable view on the subject?

Surely if your asking questions based on or around why people buy only 2-5 copies of either GM or TM or both from various outlets where they are visibly displayed, then that opinion has to be very different from the various demographics of a town, village or city around the country to that of London?

It just seems at face value that it would be somewhat of an isolated research programme that's all.

I obviously hope your team gets what it needs from it and the gesture of goodies for those taking part is excellent.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
GM are based in London, I dont see why it should be any other way (not all inhabitants of London, are actually from there by the way!)
I enjoy group research discussions, done a fair few for Guinness regarding their ad campaigns in the last decade and a half, most of them were conducted in pubs in Belfast. Does that mean we cannot speak for other drinkers or give a reasonable view on the subject?

Wow what an aggressive reply, I'm not having an argument with a mod so I'll walk away thanks.

Oh and I was born and brought up in London so I am more than aware of its "inhabitants" thanks.

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wow what an aggressive reply, I'm not having an argument with a mod so I'll walk away thanks.

Oh and I was born and brought up in London so I am more than aware of its "inhabitants" thanks.
Wasnt having a go :) You jumped to conclusions in your first post, I mentioned experience in other types of research. Relax :D

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Wasnt having a go :) You jumped to conclusions in your first post, I mentioned experience in other types of research. Relax :D

As an MD in retail and a manufacturer of my own product which is distributed across the country, I use market research and look for hypothetical aggregates quite a lot.

If I only researched in my home based city which you seem to think is what should happen or is best, I would not learn how or why people considered or didn't consider my product nationwide against other brands available.

It was an opinion based on the criteria being asked which seemed to be centred on the visibility and ad-hock sales of GM or TG to take part that was all.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I did one of these a few years ago and it was good fun.
Just seeing the Fin building was impressive enough but meeting some of the team and having an input into how the magazine is put together made it a good day out.
Plus the goody bag you cant really complain.
Admitedly it is a bit of a haul for those living far away but as Mike said, the research isn't region specific.

Sponge1980

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'm afraid there's no way I could make it to London for £20, but if it's any help I'm only an occasional buyer as I just dont see GM or other golf magazines in the shops here that often. Not sure if that's down to the shops only some times ordering them or whether the only order a small amount and it sells out quickly.