GM King Of Kings Competition 2014- YOUR VIEWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
IIRC you email gm towers at the outset has there been any word back?
they organised the centenary event along similar lines and i dont think there was a full take up at any of the marriott courses qualifiers were held at.

Still think there were 300+ entrants (about 50-60 at each event) and despite everything I was the best Brit standing (forget the Irish raider who nicked it on a dubious countback despite 3 putting 17 - Bitter and twisted - MOI?). I think my earlier post may have been a tad blunt. Ideally I'd prefer matchplay as I think it would be different from other GM meets. However if it means meeting for regional stableford or medal events and then sending the top one or two through I'd consider it but it would then depend on the course if I was being pedantic

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
is JO aware that you have decided that you dont want it to be matchplay and are doing it this way?

Just to clarify - Virtuocity PM'd me to see what was going on and I said "I'm out, take the reigns if you want to organise something".

Cheers :thup:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't want to tread on anyone's toes or interfere but I am about to take the next 6 weeks off work and would be happy to arrange or help Vituocity to arrange this if a format could be agreed.

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm just letting this thread run with the hope of a majority verdict...... if none pops up then I'm going to just batter on and organise something. Build it and they will come, so to speak!

Colchester- I'd be delighted to receive some help! Will PM you soon.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm just letting this thread run with the hope of a majority verdict...... if none pops up then I'm going to just batter on and organise something. Build it and they will come, so to speak!

Colchester- I'd be delighted to receive some help! Will PM you soon.

No problem.Last day at work is next Wednesday then off until the middle of January. Could we start a list of those interested in straight match play versus those interested in a qualifying stableford/medal with a match play final?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Could we start a list of those interested in straight match play versus those interested in a qualifying stableford/medal with a match play final?

That's another 4 weeks gone. :)

I've kept out of these threads as I think that, even with the best will in the world, the matchplay format will be a logistical nightmare for anybody taking on the organisation.

If you're both brave enough to take it on then just propose something based on feedback received so far (of which there has been much and varied!) and see where it goes.

And the best of luck! :thup:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That's another 4 weeks gone. :)

I've kept out of these threads as I think that, even with the best will in the world, the matchplay format will be a logistical nightmare for anybody taking on the organisation.

If you're both brave enough to take it on then just propose something based on feedback received so far (of which there has been much and varied!) and see where it goes.

And the best of luck! :thup:

My personal opinion is that match play would be easier to organise. Just have to post the draw on here with a date it needs to be played by and then let each pair arrange the match and post the result. Then post the draw for the next round. But maybe that's a bit naive and I don't realise what I've volunteered for.

D

Deleted member 17920

My personal opinion is that match play would be easier to organise. Just have to post the draw on here with a date it needs to be played by and then let each pair arrange the match and post the result. Then post the draw for the next round. But maybe that's a bit naive and I don't realise what I've volunteered for.
That's exactly all that needs to be done, if it's regionalised well then this should be a doddle to organise, the Scottish lot will be the only ones to suffer with distance in the early rounds, if you get through further then everyone has to appreciate they are going to have to travel at some stage, it's works for the mail on Sunday golf so why can't it work for the forum.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Matchplay is my preference,texas scramble format.:cool:

As said before, if people have draws against someone even 3 hours away, a neutral venue could be agreed, in between the two. I can't see many regional draws having much more than this as a travel time.

coolhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd prefer matchplay but would do either or both if that's the way it goes.

A thought I had - could we adopt something like the World Matchplay model and have regional leagues (maybe with everyone playing 3 matches) to decide the top (say) 2 players (with tie break matches if too many have the same points) who then go onto a knock out round with the neighbouring region with the 2 winners then going on to a central national event.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without trying to sound too much like a broken record - and because I probably didn't put it across well earlier, here's my key points against matchplay. Again, feel free to ignore, but would be good to draw up a pros and cons ...

1) if you get knocked out in round 1, you don't really meet anyone for a forum and have a good laugh on a day out.

2) one on one could (would) end up more competitive than 12 people playing a regional medal which could (would) make the one game that first round knockouts play not that enjoyable. If you've travelled a longish way to play a 1on1 against a miserable git like me, your experience of the comp is going to be pretty naff.

3) If you happened to do well and got through a few rounds, you could end up playing 7 or more rounds. I don't think I play an awful lot more than anyone else (and only play weekends) but already next year have; individual club knockout, foursomes knockout, fourballs knockout, a 10 game league against other clubs and all my internal club comps. It's going to be tremendously hard to keep to an allotted deadline if there's other things already organised on the 2/3 weeks of that 'round'

4) I know I probably earn a lot less than most but 7 rounds even at £20/£30 a pop is something that would stretch me financially. Not to mention petrol money for games which are further afield.

5) By the time the final comes around at the end of the year, those that got knocked out early wont give a toss and instead of it being a big 'King of the forum' thing it could end up being 'that thing that i played in 10 months ago'.

6) The time line itself is going to be hard to manage. Sure they'll be some who couldn't make it if we did a regional medal and national final because of being away or whatever, but by the time this is sorted and the draw is made, we're not going to be playing until Feb realistically with winter weather. That gives less than a month per round to get the matches in. There'll be inevitable cancelations and extensions due to availability so organising a final date could be tricky. (bit similar to earlier point, apologies)

7) In my opinion, the final day itself and the regional qualifiers would be a much more fun event with more people in attendance. Not to mention we'd get a better deal. Having two people play a matchplay final on their own whilst everyone else plays in a different comp on the same day is just a bit weird and not really supportive of those in the final. Even worse still if the winners end up playing at a venue on their own with no one there to see it.

Again, just my opinion, but I'd really love to see this event get off the ground rather just being talked about and put off until its too late. I genuinely think there's going to be enough hassle organising it as it is, and we should do the easiest option which is cheapest for everyone. Apologies for being anti-matchplay on this particular event. The truth is, if everyone lived in the same place and you had less rounds, I think the matchplay would be great, but trying to organise on this scale is just too difficult for people. As someone mentioned earlier, if you lump all the Scottish guys in the same knockout round, someone from wayyyy up north could end up travelling 100+ miles several times, even with meeting half way. Having one medal qualifier for each region would mean that even those furthest away from where it was held would only have to do it once.

And breath.

edit and I should say after making such a huff and puff about it, where it to go ahead, I'd be happy to organise my 'regions' qualifier.

Last edited:

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There seem to be many differing opinions on here so far but responding to Jimbob's points above (in my opinion)......

1&2. I think the original idea was to make it a competitive match play which was something different to the usual forum meets. There are lots of "regular" meets throughout the year to meet up and have a laugh with other forum members.

3. I would be surprised if there were more than 64 people that would enter once a firm commitment and payment was asked for. This would then require 4 knockout rounds to get it down to 4 people for a finals day - 5 days in total.

4. I would suggest that in the later rounds when travel distances are likely to be bigger the home player could pay the green fee for the away player or a neutral venue in between could be chosen if required.

5. No real argument to that but isn't that the same for any knockout comp.

6. As an example for 64 players. Draw made by mid January. 1st round to be played by end March. 2nd round by 14th May. 3rd round by 14th July. 4th round by end August. Finals day end of September.

7. Could get others involved for finals day. If the 4 finalists are playing match play in the morning the others could play medal/stableford and then match play in the afternoon. 1st v 2nd. 3rd v 4th etc from the morning medal/stableford round for the GM Forum Plate while the finalists played off for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

But I'm going to let Virtuocity make the decision on the format etc (and take all the resultant grief on here) and then let him tell me if he needs any help with it. And that heavy clunking noise you just heard was the sound of me passing the buck.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There seem to be many differing opinions on here so far but responding to Jimbob's points above (in my opinion)......

1&2. I think the original idea was to make it a competitive match play which was something different to the usual forum meets. There are lots of "regular" meets throughout the year to meet up and have a laugh with other forum members.

3. I would be surprised if there were more than 64 people that would enter once a firm commitment and payment was asked for. This would then require 4 knockout rounds to get it down to 4 people for a finals day - 5 days in total.

4. I would suggest that in the later rounds when travel distances are likely to be bigger the home player could pay the green fee for the away player or a neutral venue in between could be chosen if required.

5. No real argument to that but isn't that the same for any knockout comp.

6. As an example for 64 players. Draw made by mid January. 1st round to be played by end March. 2nd round by 14th May. 3rd round by 14th July. 4th round by end August. Finals day end of September.

7. Could get others involved for finals day. If the 4 finalists are playing match play in the morning the others could play medal/stableford and then match play in the afternoon. 1st v 2nd. 3rd v 4th etc from the morning medal/stableford round for the GM Forum Plate while the finalists played off for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

But I'm going to let Virtuocity make the decision on the format etc (and take all the resultant grief on here) and then let him tell me if he needs any help with it. And that heavy clunking noise you just heard was the sound of me passing the buck.

Absolutely fair points fella.

CirenBhoy

Club Champion
Visit site
I missed the roll-call thread, but I'm for any kind of comp. As a Forum newbie I would prefer meeting as many forumers as possible, but lets just get it on.

I'm a South West Englander ( by location not birth :D )

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without trying to sound too much like a broken record - and because I probably didn't put it across well earlier, here's my key points against matchplay. Again, feel free to ignore, but would be good to draw up a pros and cons ...

1) if you get knocked out in round 1, you don't really meet anyone for a forum and have a good laugh on a day out.

2) one on one could (would) end up more competitive than 12 people playing a regional medal which could (would) make the one game that first round knockouts play not that enjoyable. If you've travelled a longish way to play a 1on1 against a miserable git like me, your experience of the comp is going to be pretty naff.

3) If you happened to do well and got through a few rounds, you could end up playing 7 or more rounds. I don't think I play an awful lot more than anyone else (and only play weekends) but already next year have; individual club knockout, foursomes knockout, fourballs knockout, a 10 game league against other clubs and all my internal club comps. It's going to be tremendously hard to keep to an allotted deadline if there's other things already organised on the 2/3 weeks of that 'round'

4) I know I probably earn a lot less than most but 7 rounds even at £20/£30 a pop is something that would stretch me financially. Not to mention petrol money for games which are further afield.

5) By the time the final comes around at the end of the year, those that got knocked out early wont give a toss and instead of it being a big 'King of the forum' thing it could end up being 'that thing that i played in 10 months ago'.

6) The time line itself is going to be hard to manage. Sure they'll be some who couldn't make it if we did a regional medal and national final because of being away or whatever, but by the time this is sorted and the draw is made, we're not going to be playing until Feb realistically with winter weather. That gives less than a month per round to get the matches in. There'll be inevitable cancelations and extensions due to availability so organising a final date could be tricky. (bit similar to earlier point, apologies)

7) In my opinion, the final day itself and the regional qualifiers would be a much more fun event with more people in attendance. Not to mention we'd get a better deal. Having two people play a matchplay final on their own whilst everyone else plays in a different comp on the same day is just a bit weird and not really supportive of those in the final. Even worse still if the winners end up playing at a venue on their own with no one there to see it.

Again, just my opinion, but I'd really love to see this event get off the ground rather just being talked about and put off until its too late. I genuinely think there's going to be enough hassle organising it as it is, and we should do the easiest option which is cheapest for everyone. Apologies for being anti-matchplay on this particular event. The truth is, if everyone lived in the same place and you had less rounds, I think the matchplay would be great, but trying to organise on this scale is just too difficult for people. As someone mentioned earlier, if you lump all the Scottish guys in the same knockout round, someone from wayyyy up north could end up travelling 100+ miles several times, even with meeting half way. Having one medal qualifier for each region would mean that even those furthest away from where it was held would only have to do it once.

And breath.

edit and I should say after making such a huff and puff about it, where it to go ahead, I'd be happy to organise my 'regions' qualifier.

Jimbob speaks a lot of Sense!! ;)

Good post sir:thup:

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think this thread is getting close to crunch time number 2 :D

Agreed. People keep using the 'if they build it, they will come' line but we've not been doing much building!

I'm willing to organise a forum meet & qualifier for London/Surrey/Middlesex for March / April next year. We could then have the final in June/July when we can hopefully get more dependable weather and make sure we steer well clear of the H4H day at the end of the season?

I think if we can get 6 or more regions and 8 or more in each region we should start to get the ball rolling with at least gathering numbers / names / venues? Potentially best to start a final thread with 8 regions as mentioned earlier. Put your name under your area and whether you'd be happy to organise? Then let the regions sort out their own qualifier?

Definitely think we need to put a time frame on making a decision though. If two people reply to this and think it's a good idea, I'll put a roll call up?

And sorry to V for sort of going off on a ramble about it all!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.