GM Forum Day - Royal Ascot

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've just written the cheque for full payment for Friday April 3rd. My lovely wife made the draw as she has no idea of who is who etc so was totally impartial.

There are 21 confirmed names so we are going out as 3x3 balls and 3x4 balls. The 1st is booked for 10.00am with bacon rolls and coffee booked in for 9.30am.

The Draw
Group 1
HomerJSimpson (14)
Mike Harris - GM Guru (8)
Murphthemog (11)

Group 2
Neil Tappin - GM (5)
Golfmadwillie (7)
Imurg (11)

Group 3
Ali B (22)
Mr B - Ali's other half (13)
Viscount 17 (25)

Group 4
Paul O'Hagan - GM (5)
Harrymonk (22)
Chris Monk - Harry's dad (19)
Twiregolf (16)

Group 5
Rob Soutar - Royal Ascot (28)
HTL (18)
Ademac (24)
Backwoodsman (19)

Group 6
Smiffy (12)
Stevo (21)
Markwarne (24)
Midnight (24)

The scorecard and tips on each hole can be found at

http://www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk/Score%20Card_20081129125507.pdf

There are prizes for first, second and third, nearest the pin (8th) and longest drive (16th) and will be presented after the two course meal (Roast beef and yorkshire pudding and apple pie/custard or cream).

A club director will be on hand to meet and greet you and explain any housekeeping issues. However so everyone is aware, we have several environmentally sensitive areas in which you are not permitted to go and any balls must be left and declared lost.

This area crosses the 3rd (you have to hit over it from the tee) down the left of the 7th fairway (marked with yellow and green stakes and roped off). It is imminent behind the back of the 12th and runs along the right edge of the 14th.

One local rule to make you aware off concerning bunkers. We have had a lot of work done and sand replaced but the work has brought up a lot of stones in each bunker. There are buckets in each bunker to put any large stones you may find in. There is a local rule that stones may be lifted and removed without penalty before you play the shot.

GPS devices are permitted so get loading.

Finally a quick rundown on taken from the club website
On Arrival at the Club
Please proceed to the main Clubhouse where our Society Meet & Greet Organiser will meet you.
To access the changing rooms please contact the Pro Shop giving the name of your Society.

Dress Code
Approved Golf Shoes only – Soft Spikes please
No Trainers
Shirts with collars only tucked into trousers or tailored shorts.
Long or short golf socks, preferably white to be worn with shorts.
Tee shirts, football and/or rugby shirts are not permitted.
Multi-pocketed trousers or shorts, jeans or track suits are not permitted.
Shoes may only be changed in the car park when the Clubhouse is closed.
Within the Clubhouse the minimal Dress Code is smart casual. No golf shoes allowed in the bar.

Mobile Phones
Mobile phone may only be used in the car park.

On the Course
It is the responsibility of the Organiser to ensure that all players conform to the Rules & Etiquette of Golf.
Local Rules must be observed as on the score card.
Please replace all divots and repair your pitch marks plus one other.
Please rake all bunkers after use.
Avoid slow play – let faster groups through

I hope that has everything covered but there will be someone on hand on the day to go through everything for you. I hope the weather is decent and I look forward to seeing you all there.

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds like you've got it sorted Homer.
Hope you all have a great day guys and I look forward to the reports and pics coming in shortly after.

PS. I'll have a tenner on Harris and a fiver each way on Ali.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Homer: thanks, looking forward to it.

Are there any driving ranges nearby (ish?) - for a quick warm up before arriving in order to get those faults honed to perfection...?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The club has a practice ground (grass) and you can buy a bucket of 20-25 balls from the pro for £2. There is also a practice bunker, putting green and two nets.

Dress is smart casual although no golf shoes are allowed in the bar. Ideally it would be good if everyone brought least a fresh top and trousers in case of inclement (or unseasonal hot weather) but as long as the clothes are dry to sit down in it should be fine.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
OK one small alteration. Ali B has asked not to play in the same group as hubby so I've made the switch as a special favour to Alison. The revised draw is:

The Draw
Group 1
HomerJSimpson (14)
Mike Harris - GM Guru (8)
Murphthemog (11)

Group 2
Neil Tappin - GM (5)
Golfmadwillie (7)
Imurg (11)

Group 3
Paul O'Hagan - GM (5)
Mr B - Ali's other half (13)
Viscount 17 (25)

Group 4
Ali B (22)
Harrymonk (22)
Chris Monk - Harry's dad (19)
Twiregolf (16)

Group 5
Rob Soutar - Royal Ascot (28)
HTL (18)
Ademac (24)
Backwoodsman (19)

Group 6
Smiffy (12)
Stevo (21)
Markwarne (24)
Midnight (24)

The format is stableford - full allowance as its about fun and not really about the scores. I'm trusting everyone handicap wise but I'm sure we'll be fine

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am looking forward to it. I get back from China at 05.00, so enough time to drive home, shower and change, feed the cat, and then back in the car and off to Ascot. Only in the country for 27 hours, and then off to Florida on holiday. By the time I get to Florida I won't have a clue what day of the week it is, let alone what time it is.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Homer
thanks - you are a star.
Mr B and I are on speaking terms (and have been for 30+ years) but thought it would be nice to 'mix in'.

Viscount - sorry we won't be playing together but will look out for you on the first.

Looking forward (Ok - with some trepidation!) to the day.

See you then

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Those looking for a knock can either come early and buy a small basket from our pro to use on the practice ground (grass) or you can go to Downshire (about 10-15 minutes away) which opens at 8 I think