GM Forum Day - Royal Ascot

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good stuff, cant wait! How many are staying down for beers after? Still undecided.

I text Ademc this morning to let him know what’s going on.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I won't be staying too long, as a/ I will be very tired, and b/ I need to pack my stuff and bag my clubs for my Florida trip, as I leave at 07.00 on saturday.

Twire

Global Moderator
Visit site
Good stuff, cant wait! How many are staying down for beers after? Still undecided.

I text Ademc this morning to let him know what’s going on.

Not this time for me HTL, I'm on the tee at 8:15 Saturday morning for our monthly medal.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
AliB, ah well, nothing left for it but to
free-sad-smileys-430.gif

HTL, I'll be stopping at least for a short while (doesn't do to take the prizes and run :D)

HarryMonk

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Me and the old man may stay for a bit, but it will be soft drinks for me because I have to drive back.

Shame as I would like to have a few beers and prove the shandy drinking southerns line is a myth.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was planning to make a last minute special appearance but foolishly I have gone a found myself employment starting next week.....I may still try to come over for a beer but it looks like you may all have left by the time I get there....

Hope all goes well on the day.....Thanks for trying to sort things out Homer - one day you'll get to take my money!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Right guys just a few updates.

We've been granted permission to play off the whites so that you can enjoy the course at its true length. Those that looked at the link to the scorecard at the top of the thread and saw the 1st as a 160 yard par 3 may want to look again. It makes it a good test but shouldn't be too difficult for any of the golfers playing. It is very unusual for a society to be allowed to use the whites so it is a mark of the esteem GM and the forum are seen in.

Bacon rolls and coffee will be available from 9.15 onwards and our meet and greet person is our club vice-captain who will be happy to field any questions.

The lunch/meal afterwards is booked for 3.15 which should give everyone time to get round, change their shoes (hopefully no need to change into dry clothes) and have a drink and get to meet other forummers first.

I think the nearest the pin will be on the par 3 8th and the longest drive on the 16th subject to confirmation from the club (that's there usual location on Captain's Day etc)

I think thats everything for now but any other news etc and I'll let you know. If anyone wants to know about the course from the whites, RGUK, HTL, and Viscount17 have all played as my guests off the back tees and can give you an unbiased opinion.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Imurg

Pond to the left of the 1st, trees on the right about 30 yards short and OB all the way down further right. Bunkers front left and right. Welcome to Ascot!!!!

The 17th has OB all down the left (quite tight too) and thick rough down the right. To be fair it is usually down wind so doesn't play as long as the card suggests

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Why am I coming all the way from China to play here? Can't we do something more forgiving? Long par threes are not good. I like little 90 yarders. A casual flick with a wedge, a putt, another putt, a 6ft gimme to save embarassment, etc.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't worry murph. I play regularly with a 28 handicapper who is playing on the day and took part in our GM challenge last year, and he gets two shots and regularly gets it on or close to the green, chips two putts, 4 nett 2 and 3 points and off to a flyer.

It looks tough on the elevated tee but plays downwind and there is plenty of room short if you want to knock an iron down and chip on. I'm sure once you are standing there the wood will be in your hand and you're be there or there abouts.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
The longer the par 3 the better as far as I am concerned.
It's very difficult (although not impossible) to fat a 3 or 5 wood. It's the "flicks" with the wedges and 9 irons that are getting to me....
:D

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer invited me to a game at RA last May as I was in the area - I'd gone to watch the BMW at Wentworth.

Being informed that we were playing off the whites was a bit of a shock, I'd only ever played off whites once previously at my track, and I'd only got my first ever handicap the month before. I did worry Homer though; a mishit 5-wood, a 'sort-of' chip and a 15 foot putt for a par on the first (and I'm not even sure that I was on the green).
My more normal golf returned with an OOB on the 2nd - I blame a long hot day traipsing round Wentworth beforehand, though what I'm going to blame on the day . . .

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Homer
I have just checked the score card and the red tee SSS has been altered to 70. I assume this means that in a mixed comp I can play off reds with my usual handicap against those playing off whites???
I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong!!!

BTW Mr B is panicking - he has gone for a lesson!

AliB

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just as a word of warning anyone going Ascot via M3/A322 there are roadsworks on the M3 at J3 and also on the roundabout you need to turn off the A322 to get to Ascot - it was a nightmare yesterday....

Oh and it's the snooker that opens at 10am at Lavender Park - the range opens at 9am if anyone wants to waste all there good shots before they go out..... www.lavenderparkgolf.co.uk