Glove Allergies!!

Pinseeker

Club Champion
www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk
Strange problem but as i am allergic to elastic i have to wear a cotton glove inside of my golf glove! Mad i know but its either that or suffering blisters all over my hamd where ever the elastic inside the golf glove has come in touch with my skin! The problem is only made worse by the heat and although i remove my glove after shots i still appear to suffer. I don't mind wearing the cotton glove and doesn't appear to affect my golf but it is a bit of a faff! so i thought i would use the forum to see if anyone else suffers the same problem.

B

birdieman

Odd allergy Pinseeker, I'm sure some of the cabretta leather gloves don't have exposed elastic - have you tried all the brands?
No allergies I'm aware of myself except hard work!

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
it's the latex in the elastic that your allergic to!!! lots of people are, yours sounds more irritating than serious.

I'm sure if you did a bit of research you could find a glove without any.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Simple question and answer. Why do you need to wear a glove????

Usually, the only time I will wear a glove(s) is sometimes at the range when I'm hitting 100+ balls or when the weather is cold and damp that the tips of my fingures go white.

If your hands are soft skinned, over the course of a few weeks play more and more shots without a glove. Your skin will soon harden and then you won't need to feed more money into the manufacturer's and supplier's coffers. Like most things in golf et al, it's as much a marketting gimmick as anything.

What? Me a cynic :eek: :eek:

I personally feel that I get more feel with skin against grip than with a glove in the way. Each to their own however.

B

birdieman

Leftie, I'm not sure you understand what a glove is for - it's not to look good or bad like Wacko Jacko!

In a golf grip (right hander) you should be holding the club firmly with your right hand but the left hand(glove hand) is only supposed to grip fairly lightly, that is why having a glove helps retain control of the club without you choking it. That's also why you should have new grips fitted regularly.

There are a few who don't use them, Fred Couples springs to mind, but he's playing in a warm dry climate where rubber is grippier, so gets a good grip even with a light touch and probably has less sweaty hands than most of us.

From your description it sounds like you're gripping far too tightly, thereby losing clubhead speed and distance by having your hands arms and shoulders overly tense through gripping too hard.

There are many gimmicks in golf but wearing a new glove and having new grips are not.

jeffc

Head Pro
Visit site
perhaps look at something like a driving glove which does not have any elastic
perhaps have some made by a seamstress which are elastic free or can you even remove the elastic from some gloves.

Must be frustrating goodluck to find a solution

Pinseeker

Club Champion
www.royalascotgolfclub.co.uk
cheers. I have investigated this at some length and as for the bloke who saying don't wear a glove you have no idea!

I'm the fella would love to see me wearing a driving glove on sat so i may just have to continue with the cotton glove insert! cheers boys

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm with you leftie; other than a rain glove, or to keep me warm, I no longer wear a glove. I don't find my grip is too tight just more positive and more in control.

T

thecraw

I'm also back to my junior days of no glove wearing however I do have very small hands and find a glove awkward.

Sometimes produce one out the bag if it gets wet.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Leftie, I'm not sure you understand what a glove is for - it's not to look good or bad like Wacko Jacko!

You're right on the first one and a very good reason not to wear one on the second.

In a golf grip (right hander) you should be holding the club firmly with your right hand but the left hand(glove hand) is only supposed to grip fairly lightly, that is why having a glove helps retain control of the club without you choking it.

B/man. Congratulations. At last. Someone has found the reason I can't play golf properly. Being a left hander at golf (and cricket, lacrosse, pole vault and any other activity swinging with two hands/arms) but very right-handed at everything else, my main grip is with my right hand and power/direction from my right side. The hardened parts of my hands from golf are on my right hand which is why I always assumed that lefties wore a glove on their right hand (right handers vica versa), not necessarily to add grip but to reduce wear on the right hand.

Anyway. If right handed golfers only grip the club lightly with the left hand, why do they get so much wear on the glove?

That's also why you should have new grips fitted regularly

No argument there

From your description it sounds like you're gripping far too tightly, thereby losing clubhead speed and distance by having your hands arms and shoulders overly tense through gripping too hard.

Sorry, but I don't recall mentioning anything about my swing or how hard I grip etc. Ok my swing speed with a 3 wood is only averaging about 90 mph but I am in my 60's.

Oh. If you are thinking that the white fingers is due to grip pressure, I did say when cold and/or damp. See "raynaud's disease".

It's nice to see though that not everyone feels obliged to wear a glove :) :)