Glasses.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good morning/afternoon /evening to you all.

Quick question in regards to glasses, I have prescription glasses for driving /watching TV etc.

I played a round the other day in my giggs and for the first time for a long time I could actually see proper (no it didn't change my crappy swing) I need to get a set to wear on the course, is it a case of going back to spec savers or do you lot who wear giggs recommend somewhere else? Is there anyway of securing them proper to your head (not staples or super glue) ? Are the proper wrap round ones the way to go? Before anyone suggests contacts, I couldn't get use to putting them in.

For all the people who know me and are use to me looking like Will Smith, I now look like Howard from the old Halifax adverts. ??????

Cheers

Midnight...

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
If I play or practice in my glasses I wear the same pair I use for driving / watching TV.
What's driving your need for another pair?
(I do wear contacts a fair bit also but you didn't want to hear that!).

Will Smith! ????

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good morning/afternoon /evening to you all.

Quick question in regards to glasses, I have prescription glasses for driving /watching TV etc.

I played a round the other day in my giggs and for the first time for a long time I could actually see proper (no it didn't change my crappy swing) I need to get a set to wear on the course, is it a case of going back to spec savers or do you lot who wear giggs recommend somewhere else? Is there anyway of securing them proper to your head (not staples or super glue) ? Are the proper wrap round ones the way to go? Before anyone suggests contacts, I couldn't get use to putting them in.

For all the people who know me and are use to me looking like Will Smith, I now look like Howard from the old Halifax adverts. ??????

Cheers

Midnight...
Wrap around glasses are very expensive.
Only part of the lens is suited to your prescription ( pop out section.)
It’s very difficult to have a lens that is bent. It affects the optics.
Your regular glasses should be fine if they fit properly ,a lot don’t.
Most golfers would benefit from slightly bigger lenses under the nose pieces.
This stops you dropping your head to look through the middle of the lens.
If you explain what you need to an optician he should be able to help

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I wear the same ones all the time, only change to diff ones for cycling. For that I've got some prescription lense Oakley, though I don't find those that good for golf.

Midnight

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I play or practice in my glasses I wear the same pair I use for driving / watching TV.
What's driving your need for another pair?
(I do wear contacts a fair bit also but you didn't want to hear that!).

Will Smith! ????

I think I want another pair just for golf, no specific reason really. Didn't know if there were more /better ones for sport mate.

AAC

Visit site
I had a cataract done in August & am due to have the other one done next week. I found that I needed glasses still to drive, as my prescription will change again next week I didn't want to pay too much for a pair I was only going to use for about 4 months. I ordered 2 pairs of basic prescription lenses and frames from Glasses Direct for under £50.00. Not the greatest quality but perfect for golf and for the small amount of driving I now do.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wear varifocals full time. I tried golf in them but it was awful. At address position I'm looking thru the "intermediate" prescription bit, so the ball goes blurry.

I ended up getting a 2nd pair of glasses just set to the distance prescription. Got them with reaction lenses. To be honest I think that was a mistake as they tend to darken a bit too readily, so I'm walking around in dark glasses on fairly dull days. I think normal distance prescription glasses and a separate pair of distance prescription sunglasses would have been better.

Just wait until you try the glasses on a misty / drizzly day. Won't be able to see a thing.

The Fader

Visit site
As a glasses wearing golfer for many years my suggestion would be to get a larger pair with a narrow style frame. I prefer smaller glasses for everyday
wear but I don't like to catch a view of the frame whilst swinging.

Might just be a personal thing.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do not know what you mean by giggs

Having tried several different types of glasses for golf I settled on aviator style. The extra overall size of the lens mean they work perfectly in all situations.

Got a prescription that is less than two years old they are just £15 a pair at selectpsecs.com until midnight tonight. The style is CF919. I also use these for driving and a for sun glasses.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I've been wearing varifocals for three years - normal frames work fine for golf, no need for a retaining strap of any sort - my only bugbear with wearing them for golf is the need to wear a baseball cap if it is raining to keep the water off the lenses - I dislike baseball caps quite a lot.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I wear varifocals normally, but use a cheap pair of distance glasses for golf. I found varifocals can cause distortion when putting.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wear glasses all the time and have reactalight lenses so they darken in sunlight so it makes it easier to follow the ball in the sun and reduces any glare. I got it as part of my prescription so suggest simply going back to the optician and seeing what their quote would be

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have worn varifocals for years full time including for golf. The only problem I ever have is in wet weather with the lenses needing wiping. I have tried playing golf without them but putting can be a bit of a blur!