Getting told you're slow

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site
Hopefully in the future the 40 second guidance in the rules becomes more compulsory! Bear in mind, this isn't 40 seconds over the ball, it's 40 seconds from when you reach the ball.

Ndw7

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played in a pairs 4BBB today.

We were 3 down after 9 holes but we ended up winning 2&1.

In the bar afterwards, our opponents (who we were buying a beer) told me how well I played, but told me how slow I was, in particular my pre shot routine.

I've always thought of myself as being a quick player and always make an effort to play ready golf when playing, so it shocked me if I'm honest, especially as nobody has ever told me this before.

My routine is place the ball on a tee, stand back and have one practice swing, stand behind the ball and pick my line with a deep breath, set up and then hit it.

I reckon it takes around 30 seconds at most.

Is this now an unacceptable amount of time to take a shot?

Should I be literally sprinting around the place trying not to offend people?

Thoughts? :confused:

I'm all for taking your time and that, but thinking about it.. I can't see how the process you described can take 30 seconds unless you do everything in slow motion? 30 seconds does seem like a long time to me. I'd say I probably take around 15 seconds per shot, but I wouldn't read too much into that as that may be why I'm so bad at golf!

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hopefully in the future the 40 second guidance in the rules becomes more compulsory! Bear in mind, this isn't 40 seconds over the ball, it's 40 seconds from when you reach the ball.

I don’t get how people can go over this!

When I get to my ball.. quick glance to see its mine

If it’s clear to go pick the club that hopefully will go the yards on my watch or lay up

Quick practice swing

Hit the shot

30 seconds tops

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I know I take around 20 seconds on average and as such I'm one of the slowest in my group. 30 seconds is indeed slow. It's that simple. Figure out if your really taking that time more often than not and if so it needs to be addressed, if your brave enough to admit it and address it.

I admire that you posted this thread as it suggests your brave enough to be honest....so now go the whole way and be totally honest.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
If you're waiting for everyone else to play, and then starting your pre shot routine when it's your turn, instead of doing your pre shot routine while waiting then I can see why someone would potentially be irritated.

30 seconds doesn't sound like much, but if you shoot 80 that's 40 mins for shot routines. Times that by a 4 ball and you've got 2 2/3 hours without counting any walking time

Visit site
I have read this thread with great interest, as I detest slow play......but I don't believe I am the fastest player by a long way.
However, I must take issue with Oldham92, (in a friendly way) with his calculations. If (hypothetically), we are talking about shooting 80., at least 30-32 will be putts. Most of those first putts will be near the hole (hopefully!), followed by a virtual tap in, which won't take 5 seconds. That's 16 times 5 equals 80 seconds (1 min 20 secs), leaving 64 shots at 30 seconds per shot equals 32 minutes. add 1 minute 20 seconds, equals ( rounding up) 34 minutes, not 40. With a 4 ball, that's 24 minutes off your reckoning.
I just timed myself outside, including looking at the sky caddie, picking a club, couple of swings, set up to play, and strike the ball.....it came to 32 seconds. I don't think that's far away from average. In my opinion, those that stand over the ball for ages when ready to actually play do themselves no favours.
It's an interesting subject. Getting round my course on a Saturday morning under 4 hours......simply not possible!

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
I strongly suspect slow players are the least stressed, most content and happy golfers.

I don't want to feel like I'm racing round so as not to offend 'Rocket Ron' behind me. Some players need to realise it is them that is quick rather than huffing and puffing at everyone else for steady progress. A bit more tolerance and a few more deep breaths needed along with focus on a few basics like positioning of trolleys and prompt leaving the green.

Then we can distinguish the real slow players, put them against a wall and throw rotten veg at them. Whilst holding pitchforks.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I have read this thread with great interest, as I detest slow play......but I don't believe I am the fastest player by a long way.
However, I must take issue with Oldham92, (in a friendly way) with his calculations. If (hypothetically), we are talking about shooting 80., at least 30-32 will be putts. Most of those first putts will be near the hole (hopefully!), followed by a virtual tap in, which won't take 5 seconds. That's 16 times 5 equals 80 seconds (1 min 20 secs), leaving 64 shots at 30 seconds per shot equals 32 minutes. add 1 minute 20 seconds, equals ( rounding up) 34 minutes, not 40. With a 4 ball, that's 24 minutes off your reckoning.
I just timed myself outside, including looking at the sky caddie, picking a club, couple of swings, set up to play, and strike the ball.....it came to 32 seconds. I don't think that's far away from average. In my opinion, those that stand over the ball for ages when ready to actually play do themselves no favours.
It's an interesting subject. Getting round my course on a Saturday morning under 4 hours......simply not possible!

I did consider the putts, but figured 1st putt people tend to line up and have a couple of practice swings so could easily be longer than 30seconds, so figured it would average out at about 30. I'd say it's reasonable to assume that someone going through a full pre shot routine for every single shot would also have a pre putt routine

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I did consider the putts, but figured 1st putt people tend to line up and have a couple of practice swings so could easily be longer than 30seconds, so figured it would average out at about 30. I'd say it's reasonable to assume that someone going through a full pre shot routine for every single shot would also have a pre putt routine
This. In my experience anyone with a tardy approach to full shots is at least as painful on the greens.

I attended the golfsixes event last year. On the shot clock hole they had a 30 second timer on every shot. Don't think I saw a single pro get beyond 20secs.
If they can do it, then I think a few weekend golfers might be taking things a bit more seriously than necessary...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I do believe some clubs have a culture of slow play. 5 hour rounds are complelty unacceptable.

If you cannot get around in 4 hours something is amiss.

My brothers course has a real played quickly with no mucking about attitude. He does play early doors Saturday and everyone seems to be on board.

I have no problems with people taking a swing or two. Setting themselves and concentrating on what they are doing as long as they are ready to do this when it is their turn.

I have witnessed someone thing week who is over the ball doing all sorts or madness before eventually pulling the trigger. If I knew him and played with him I would certainly have a word. What He is doing is just crazy.

I would like to see more education on how to actually let faster groups through. Standing aside and waiting is pointless and helps no-one behind. Teaching people to play up and through at the same time is the key to keeping things moving.

The ready golf initiative was good but they must keep the foot down and expand on it.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I do believe some clubs have a culture of slow play. 5 hour rounds are complelty unacceptable.

If you cannot get around in 4 hours something is amiss.

My brothers course has a real played quickly with no mucking about attitude. He does play early doors Saturday and everyone seems to be on board.

I have no problems with people taking a swing or two. Setting themselves and concentrating on what they are doing as long as they are ready to do this when it is their turn.

I have witnessed someone thing week who is over the ball doing all sorts or madness before eventually pulling the trigger. If I knew him and played with him I would certainly have a word. What He is doing is just crazy.

I would like to see more education on how to actually let faster groups through. Standing aside and waiting is pointless and helps no-one behind. Teaching people to play up and through at the same time is the key to keeping things moving.

The ready golf initiative was good but they must keep the foot down and expand on it.

My granddad (70 at time) his friend and me used to do the course in 4 hours and no1 broke 100

Like you say no excuse for slow play

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You could take practice swings and do 1-4 a large percentage of time before it's your turn.

Totally agree about doing things before your turn, especially while walking up to your ball. Don't dance around of course, there is a line...

The point is there isn't just one way to do things and you don't have to do it all behind behind your ball on your turn.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can’t stand following a group who won’t play ready golf or at least be at their ball ready to play (ie waiting behind someone taking a shot of theirs is 20 yards to left)

Yest me and my mate did a round in 2 hours 45. Nobody in front of us.. not even ready golf was needed just sensible golf

When my pp had a 20 yard chip left and I was on green I’d go to the green with my putter and line up whilst he played.. once he played if it wasn’t on my line I’d putt up.

We got to the 14th hole in 2 hours and had pulled ahead of the 2 ball who were teeing off when we left the 1st green .. 2 clear holes behind by now.. 45 mins to play last 5 holes

No rushing just no fannying about

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I strongly suspect slow players are the least stressed, most content and happy golfers.

I don't want to feel like I'm racing round so as not to offend 'Rocket Ron' behind me. Some players need to realise it is them that is quick rather than huffing and puffing at everyone else for steady progress. A bit more tolerance and a few more deep breaths needed along with focus on a few basics like positioning of trolleys and prompt leaving the green.

Then we can distinguish the real slow players, put them against a wall and throw rotten veg at them. Whilst holding pitchforks.

They would also be the most selfish and oblivious to anyone else on the course i suspect

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
They would also be the most selfish and oblivious to anyone else on the course i suspect

Absolutely, was part of my thought process. It won't just be on the golf course tho, I see it in all walks of life all the time and frankly sometimes I wish I was a bit more like it. Must be wonderful going about life completely oblivious to others and their feelings.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is, slow play does not really bother me too much (OK 5 hours is a bit much) but the whole pressure of the situation does stress me out. The course is slow, the group behind are grumbling but we are up with the group ahead etc so what can you do. Do you play them through just to get them off your back even though you are not holding anything up. End up rushing shots to make it clear that you are doing your best and it is nothing to do with you or your group, then start making mistakes as a result. You get that nagging feeling that people will think it is you holding the course up, that the groups behind and cursing your name. I know that this is a mental issue from my end but it does impact on my enjoyment. I envy those groups that can shut themselves off from what is going on around and just enjoy their round.

Controversial I know but I would be totally in favour of banning all playing through except in the most extreme circumstances (eg multiple lost balls). I go to the course knowing that the round will take as long as it takes and that nobody is deliberately holding anyone up. Ban playing through and I would feel happier slowing my pace to match the pace of play on the course rather than rushing holes to make it clear that any hold up is not due to me.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Thing is, slow play does not really bother me too much (OK 5 hours is a bit much) but the whole pressure of the situation does stress me out. The course is slow, the group behind are grumbling but we are up with the group ahead etc so what can you do. Do you play them through just to get them off your back even though you are not holding anything up. End up rushing shots to make it clear that you are doing your best and it is nothing to do with you or your group, then start making mistakes as a result. You get that nagging feeling that people will think it is you holding the course up, that the groups behind and cursing your name. I know that this is a mental issue from my end but it does impact on my enjoyment. I envy those groups that can shut themselves off from what is going on around and just enjoy their round.

Controversial I know but I would be totally in favour of banning all playing through except in the most extreme circumstances (eg multiple lost balls). I go to the course knowing that the round will take as long as it takes and that nobody is deliberately holding anyone up. Ban playing through and I would feel happier slowing my pace to match the pace of play on the course rather than rushing holes to make it clear that any hold up is not due to me.

I understand your first point as I play with someone whose game falls apart if he feels pushed from behind. It worries him no end even when it's clear to those behind that the course is jammed, no where to go and there not complaining or pushing - just waiting like us and all others....but yes, regardless it bothers him.

It is something he and perhaps you have to get over if your to enjoy golf and the answer IS CERTAINLY NOT to stop groups playing through slower groups. The chaos that could result in such a rule does not bare thinking about.

It has always been clear to me and evident to most that slow players/groups who ARE NOT keeping up with the field and who DO NOT let those waiting behind through are simply selfish and unpleasant people to share a course with.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I love it when somebody takes an age to get their grip right etc. Then they stand behind their ball, hold their driver straight up in the air, and visualise where they are going to place their tee shot.
Step up, wiggle a bit, get their stance perfect. Deep breaths, get their trigger thought in their head and swing.
The next 5 minutes is usually spent searching for their ball in the trees.
Cushty