Getting told you're slow

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I play with a guy who is painfully slow.. pre shot routine seems to be an hour. Won’t go to his ball until everyone has played

When putting will go to the break and get the feel for the putt on the break etc

He is the best one in the group we play in ..

When we call him out for being slow he claims he takes less shots and we don’t have to look for his balls...

In the time he takes to to his pre shot I’m already on the green with my putter

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think you have to take feedback like that at face value. Theres always the likelihood that they're wrong but as Hovis said most slow playeres don't seem to think that they're slow.

If, thinking about, there might be some merit in the comment then it has to be worth the effort to work out where you are taking longer and how you can streamline your play. For most of the "slow players" i've been paired with seem to rack up their time not over the ball, but in getting to it.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
1) work out exactly how long you take.
2) ask others you play with. One person saying is not enough. Unless asked the majority of people will only talk behind your back.

30 seconds is a long time if actually timed. About 10 seconds is plenty and it should never be over 20 unless your facing a complex shot/issue

D

Deleted member 21258

Don't think I have ever timed someone, so don't know if 30 secs was long or not to be honest.

I always think one full practise swing is enough, maybe 3-4 very quick chipping or putting practise swings to get a feeling for the shot.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Cheers for the replies all (y)

It's been playing on my mind today (bit sad I know) and if I'm honest it's pissed me off even more especially as I carry out my distance measuring and club selection while other players take their shots.

What's annoyed me even more though is the amount of time I spent looking for their balls in the rough when I should have obviously been getting on with my shot :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness though, and I don't remember who said it above; I think it may be the order I do things. I think people expect the shot straight after the practice swing, not before I line up the shot.

Half of me wants to reorder the routine to see what happens, whereas the other half of me thinks sod it, its working for me, so why change it if I know I'm not painfully slow :unsure:

Especially when the rest of my game is quick.

Dogma

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Oh, and this is just for full shots.

I don't have a routine like this for chips or putting.

I can't even imagine just standing over the ball for up to 90 seconds before pulling the trigger :eek:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Don't think I have ever timed someone, so don't know if 30 secs was long or not to be honest.

I always think one full practise swing is enough, maybe 3-4 very quick chipping or putting practise swings to get a feeling for the shot.

I played with someone once who was so quick he even tee'd off to the wrong green in his haste 🤫🤫

Visit site
Cheers for the replies all (y)

It's been playing on my mind today (bit sad I know) and if I'm honest it's pissed me off even more especially as I carry out my distance measuring and club selection while other players take their shots.

What's annoyed me even more though is the amount of time I spent looking for their balls in the rough when I should have obviously been getting on with my shot :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness though, and I don't remember who said it above; I think it may be the order I do things. I think people expect the shot straight after the practice swing, not before I line up the shot.

Half of me wants to reorder the routine to see what happens, whereas the other half of me thinks sod it, its working for me, so why change it if I know I'm not painfully slow :unsure:

Especially when the rest of my game is quick.

First off, congratulations on the win.
Personally, stick with what you know, it obviously works for you as you and your partner grinded a win from a possible defeat. Don't be worrying over what others think or say, it's your game/hc and I still yet to see a hc chop for the time it's taken to get round! If your brisk between shots and doing what you do whilst others are playing then I think your entitled to take the time you 'think' you take on your routine. It only becomes a problem when you stop doing those preparations while others are doing theirs.

Next time, don't go looking for their balls and say I got to prepare for my next shot, cos I'm sloooooowwww. 😂

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My take on it, when you step on the tee should take 5 seconds for practice swing, 5 seconds for stepping behind your ball to see line, 5 seconds to take swing to play the ball, if you take 30 seconds that’s twice as long as it should take imo and to slow, but I would be surprised if you actually took 30 seconds for your psr.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not particularly aimed at the op but it does amuse me that so many people moan about slow play yet not a single person will accept they are slow. I offended one guy when I said his pace of play was snail like!!!! He genuinely thought he was a fast player
I believe the biggest issue is that slow play (not ready to play, travelling together at all times through the hole, no thought to where the bag gets left - the usual oft repeated elements) and players playing slowly (because they are taking their time over their shots) are fundamentally different things.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I played at a previous club with “Sleepy Steve”, aptly named as it took him 30-45 seconds to hit the ball after addressing it, I didn’t believe it until I was paired with him!
We have a guy like that. His group always lose holes but he never seems to think there's a problem. Its become a running joke but he seems oblivious to it. As he's playing well and winning things he can't see the issue but we have timed him at 42 seconds standing over the ball. That's the issue though. No-one admits to being slow and it's impossible to re-educate those at times who clearly are

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We have a guy like that. His group always lose holes but he never seems to think there's a problem. Its become a running joke but he seems oblivious to it. As he's playing well and winning things he can't see the issue but we have timed him at 42 seconds standing over the ball. That's the issue though. No-one admits to being slow and it's impossible to re-educate those at times who clearly are

Well that's a terrible attitude, he's clearly selfish and needs telling in no uncertain terms

D

Deleted member 17920

Played in a pairs 4BBB today.

We were 3 down after 9 holes but we ended up winning 2&1.

In the bar afterwards, our opponents (who we were buying a beer) told me how well I played, but told me how slow I was, in particular my pre shot routine.

I've always thought of myself as being a quick player and always make an effort to play ready golf when playing, so it shocked me if I'm honest, especially as nobody has ever told me this before.

My routine is place the ball on a tee, stand back and have one practice swing, stand behind the ball and pick my line with a deep breath, set up and then hit it.

I reckon it takes around 30 seconds at most.

Is this now an unacceptable amount of time to take a shot?

Should I be literally sprinting around the place trying not to offend people?

Thoughts? :confused:
Well done on the win.

Don't think it is sour grapes that he told you but more advice.

Why don't you get someone to film you a few times as you may do some things that you don't even know you are doing.

A certain forum member who doesn't post much or play anymore due to him getting a girlfriend has a very very very painful waggle, he didn't even know he did it but it goes on and on and on ;).

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got told a few years ago that I was a slow player. Not a very slow player, just faffing in the PSR, club selection, yardage etc. On reflection, I think they were partly right and so I did something about it and now I'm the norm. Having a GPS watch helped and knowing my yardages.

But the real interesting thing, is that the guys (3 of them) that told me I was slow, flat refused that they were slow when I pulled them up on it. Turns out they were taking similar time to me, just in a different way, such as spending 10 seconds looking at the ball, as if frozen, before hitting it.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Defo can’t be called slow today

Me and my mate played at 07:44, finished 10:30.

Round uploaded to game golf
Shoes and clubs cleaned
Stuff away
Lunch on
Shower then pick up daughter at 13:00 lol

If carlsberg made rounds of golf

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Playing without undue delay comes first. If your doing that then I wouldn’t worry too much.

It doesn’t take one person to make a group fast however. If you have a long routine it is good to see how it can be made more efficient but don’t lose elements that trigger your game.

A pre shot routine should do these things.

1. Ready your mind
2. Choose and Grip the club
3. Aim
4. Set your body
5. Execute the shot.

You can do 1 and 2 before it’s your turn, then just pick a spot and hit to that spot.

Also consider replacing a practice swing with a loosening exercise you can do away from the ball. A practice swing isn’t essential and can be replaced by anything that focuses your mind, prepares your body and feels the shot.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Playing without undue delay comes first. If your doing that then I wouldn’t worry too much.

It doesn’t take one person to make a group fast however. If you have a long routine it is good to see how it can be made more efficient but don’t lose elements that trigger your game.

A pre shot routine should do these things.

1. Ready your mind
2. Choose and Grip the club
3. Aim
4. Set your body
5. Execute the shot.

You can do 1 and 2 before it’s your turn, then just pick a spot and hit to that spot.

Also consider replacing a practice swing with a loosening exercise you can do away from the ball. A practice swing isn’t essential and can be replaced by anything that focuses your mind, prepares your body and feels the shot.

You could take practice swings and do 1-4 a large percentage of time before it's your turn.