Getting told you're slow

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I was once told I'm a slow player, I told the guy that I was anything but slow as I was always ready to play, did my measuring when others were hitting and often didn't take a practice swing, left my bag in the right place and marked the card at an appropriate time. He came back with "I know you're not slow yourself but you're slow by association with the guys you play with" which I took to mean they're slow, you're not but I'm telling you so you can chivvy them up - I suggested that if he were unhappy with our pace of play that he speaks to them (they are not particularly slow but equally dont want to jog round the course on a Sunday morning.!

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
We played with a guy the other week in the medal who was very "methodical" in his approach, took his time over everything and it does get wearing as a playing partner. A couple of times we had to politely tell him to take his shot as he stood around waiting for no reason. Very politely but it does make for a long day. Especially for my other playing partner who is the opposite, walks up to the ball and hits it.
I would say get someone to time your entire routine, from the moment it becomes your turn to the moment you hit the ball. You may find it takes more than 30 seconds. You're only referring to the time your club is in your hand.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Re-reading your description it could even be the order in which you carry out the steps that leads them to believe you’re slow. I dunno if it’s true but don’t most people hit the ball immediately after their practice swing? (It is among my PP’s) Whereas you practice first then assess the line
(not saying one's right or wrong)

But if it’s the same for them, they will have a false expectation that you’re gonna hit the ball after your practice swing… and instead you walk behind the ball to check your line. That alone will lead them to believe its taking too long (almost as if you're backing off and starting again)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Played in a pairs 4BBB today.

We were 3 down after 9 holes but we ended up winning 2&1.

In the bar afterwards, our opponents (who we were buying a beer) told me how well I played, but told me how slow I was, in particular my pre shot routine.

I've always thought of myself as being a quick player and always make an effort to play ready golf when playing, so it shocked me if I'm honest, especially as nobody has ever told me this before.

My routine is place the ball on a tee, stand back and have one practice swing, stand behind the ball and pick my line with a deep breath, set up and then hit it.

I reckon it takes around 30 seconds at most.

Is this now an unacceptable amount of time to take a shot?

Should I be literally sprinting around the place trying not to offend people?

Thoughts? :confused:

If you are new, or relatively new, to the game, they were probably trying to give you some well meaning advice and not realising they were being a bit condescending.

But if you think that 4 players are playing and they all took 30 seconds a shot and all shoot 84 (average handicap is 14 & assume par 70). That is 336 shots at half a minute a shot. 168 minutes, which is 2 hours 48 minutes just for play, not including looking for balls and walking about the course.

So yeh, that is doing nothing for pace of play.

However, from what you have said, it doesn't sound like that could take 30 seconds. Unless you stand over the ball for a particularly long time as you take your stance.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
TBH if someone has said you are slow its for a reason... they think or have seen you or been held up by you.

as the saying goes if it quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, flys and walks like a Duck, then its usually a duck

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you're thinking you might be slow why not time yourself, and then time other players. If you're constantly taking longer than others, irrespective of whether or not its 30-40-50 secs, people will think you are slow. But at the end of the day its how long it takes you to get around the course that is the more important thing. I've played with people who've had painfully slow pre-shot routines but have been quick getting to their ball and do the right things when putting the bag down or attending the flag - one balances the other.

As to your two opponents saying you're slow; one may have thought it and convinced the other. Once one had it in his head he will have subconsciously looked to reinforce that opinion. And his partner would most likely agree as he's part of a team - "group think."

If after timing your routine you do feel you're taking too long, change it.

On a wider note, if someone goes round a course in 80 shots, with a 30 sec PSR, thats 240 secs at their ball. 4 hours at their ball + walking time. Then add in their playing partner's times. I doubt that many people have 30 sec PSR's...

2400 secs

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
On the tee I would probably take 30 seconds, but playing approach shots to the green. Not really. It does my head in if I am RHS of fairway playing a shot, which tends to be the case if you mainly have a fade on your drives. PPs are other side of fairway. I have played a shot and walked 70-100 yd and PP is just getting his club out of the bag and going through pre shot routine. Distance known, club choice, picking your line etc could and should be done in the time a PP/ me has gone through his routine and hit his shot. Obviously not if his ball is in front of you.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I've never played with anyone taking 30 seconds over a shot apart from putting. However, If you're quick between shots not a huge problem.

Duckster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Played in a pairs 4BBB today.

We were 3 down after 9 holes but we ended up winning 2&1.

In the bar afterwards, our opponents (who we were buying a beer) told me how well I played, but told me how slow I was, in particular my pre shot routine.

I've always thought of myself as being a quick player and always make an effort to play ready golf when playing, so it shocked me if I'm honest, especially as nobody has ever told me this before.

My routine is place the ball on a tee, stand back and have one practice swing, stand behind the ball and pick my line with a deep breath, set up and then hit it.

I reckon it takes around 30 seconds at most.

Is this now an unacceptable amount of time to take a shot?

Should I be literally sprinting around the place trying not to offend people?

Thoughts? :confused:

I played winter league at my old club against a guy who had a similar routine. He had a quick practice swing, took aim, got over the ball.... now this is where he got slow. He took anywhere between 40 and 90 seconds just stood there, not moving. Almost like he couldn't pull the trigger and start his swing. Pretty much everyone who played with him commented on it, but after someone raised it with him it appears that he simply didn't realise he was freezing over the ball. Even after he was told he just couldn't speed that bit up. It shook him that much that he left the club and only plays the odd social game now.

D

Deleted member 1147

Are you sure it's 30 seconds?
Time actually moves much slower you we think it does. I remember being a police witness and when asked how long something took I thought it was about 5 minutes, and it was only just over a minute. It just seemed longer.
Get someone to time you, and I'll bet it's no more than 10 seconds, which is more than acceptable.

This is coming from someone who's been told he needs to have a pre-shot routine; I just pick a club, have a swish and then hit.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
We gave a few gentle hints to the new young guy in our 4 ball bounce game, firstly a bird flew past him when he was just about to hit his shot, he said " WTF was that ", i said " probably a " tortoise " and the 3 of us laughed.
On the next tee 3 of us leaned together and we started snoring zzzzzz and whistling while he was doing his pre- shot routine . He asked do you think i'm slow , aye aye aye, he took it in good humour and it has helped a bit, we still have the odd snore.

brfcfan

Visit site
In all my time playing golf I have never heard anyone admit they are slow. In my experience golfers take offence at being called slow, and it is an ongoing issue to which at our level there is no solution.

My biggest annoyance is people stood over the ball, there is absolutely no need to take more than 10 seconds to hit the ball after taking a practice swing. You should not be taking longer than 20 seconds once the ball is teed up.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
In all my time playing golf I have never heard anyone admit they are slow. In my experience golfers take offence at being called slow, and it is an ongoing issue to which at our level there is no solution.

My biggest annoyance is people stood over the ball, there is absolutely no need to take more than 10 seconds to hit the ball after taking a practice swing. You should not be taking longer than 20 seconds once the ball is teed up.

I think there is a mental block that people can get. Especially for new players, or someone who is struggling and making changes.

I remember when I was new to the game I used to stand over the ball for too long. With about 5 different things going through my head in terms of keeping this straight, keeping that bent, keeping that down etc etc. goes without saying that it didn't help, but as you get more experienced and you have a more natural swing, then there isn't as much going through your head.

Also doesn't help if you do that, and take 10 to 12 seconds to pull the trigger and then play a rubbish shot. People are more likely to finger you as a slow player and / or make a comment.

If you take 10 seconds to pull the trigger and play really well, people are probably less likely to care.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Re-reading your description it could even be the order in which you carry out the steps that leads them to believe you’re slow. I dunno if it’s true but don’t most people hit the ball immediately after their practice swing? (It is among my PP’s) Whereas you practice first then assess the line
(not saying one's right or wrong)

But if it’s the same for them, they will have a false expectation that you’re gonna hit the ball after your practice swing… and instead you walk behind the ball to check your line. That alone will lead them to believe its taking too long (almost as if you're backing off and starting again)
I think this could be the nail on the head. It's our perception our eyes tell us rather than the actual passage of time. As Slab says, I think most people will work out their shot, have a practise swing near the ball and then get behind the ball and hit it. Whereas if you're having a practise swing, then having a look up and assessing what shot you're taking, that probably looks slow. It looks like someone faffing about and a changing their mind because the expectation is to hit the ball after the practise swing.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I played winter league at my old club against a guy who had a similar routine. He had a quick practice swing, took aim, got over the ball.... now this is where he got slow. He took anywhere between 40 and 90 seconds just stood there, not moving. Almost like he couldn't pull the trigger and start his swing. Pretty much everyone who played with him commented on it, but after someone raised it with him it appears that he simply didn't realise he was freezing over the ball. Even after he was told he just couldn't speed that bit up. It shook him that much that he left the club and only plays the odd social game now.

If a PP started to do that, I would start snoring loudly.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site

90 seconds standing over the ball - really?

Once I address the ball I hit within 2 or 3 seconds.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I played at a previous club with “Sleepy Steve”, aptly named as it took him 30-45 seconds to hit the ball after addressing it, I didn’t believe it until I was paired with him!

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not particularly aimed at the op but it does amuse me that so many people moan about slow play yet not a single person will accept they are slow. I offended one guy when I said his pace of play was snail like!!!! He genuinely thought he was a fast player