Getting that fade.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im right handed and normally play with a draw and im a faily longish hitter, (drive averages about 270-290 based on my caddy pro GPS) but a few holes on my course could be so much easier if i could play a fade from the tee.

I beleive im setting up to encourse the fade:

Slighy over grip to encourage open clubface at impact
Left foot slighly further back hoping for a more open stance to hit slightly across the ball

Result - Total block right on about a 30* angle,

any tips on shop shaping for a fade, i have the draw perfectly sorted which i can make extreme on holes that it needs to, i just can play the dam fade shot.

We have a dogleg right (slight) and if i could play the fade i could leave myself around 20-30ft short of the green from the tee, but im finding a dead straight drive leaves me 100yards in, and if i go with a 3w and play slighly shorter, its around the same distance.

Any tips?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Unless you play off scratch, I would leave shaping the driver alone. Fighting your natural shape sounds a recipe for disaster.

Olazabal spent half his career trying to draw the ball, and never really got to grips with it. He would have been better off leaving it alone.

Swing on a more upright plane.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slightly over grip to encourage open clubface at impact

Enlighten me. :D

If you draw it 90% of the time and "weaken" the placing of the hands on the club grip, chances are you'll just block it 90% of the time. I know, I've been there (except not this millenium :eek: :rolleyes:)

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The theory is sound Odsox.
Weaken the grip, left foot back...... perfick
Nooooooooooooo

I often hear people talk about drawing back the left foot for the fade and the right foot for the draw. The only problem being is it throws out the ball position.
Listen carefully, I'll type this only once :)

If you have a normal stance with your driver and ball positioned in line with your left heal what happens when you pull your left foot back?
Put a club down on your new toe line and see where the ball is in relation to your feet...almost centre----block.

To fade the ball experiment with opening the face a touch at address and with your normal grip, swing normally. If it starts too far right, then aim your WHOLE BODY a touch left
Just out of interest, do you get a shot at these left to right holes?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I won't know about shots until official handicap comes back next week but If I do I can still use these holes as an option to drag back any shots lost on previous bad holes as the main one is our sixteenth

JPHB12

Visit site
Oddsocks - I am not a pro by any means, but here's my two cents on the matter - first and foremost you have to picture a fade happening in your mind, take some practice swings that feel like they would produce that shape, aim where you want to ball to start and swing away.

This may also work - Way back a very accomplished golfer that I played regularly with advised me to hold on tighter through impact to produce a fade and to let the hands release normally to produce the draw - this worked for one summer. If you take your normal swing that produces that lovely draw and just hold off the release a bit through impact you may get a fade.

I would not alter my grip at all - this is not the way to shape shots in my humble opinion.

Cheers,
Jason