Getting out of broadband contract

HPIMG

Visit site
I am moving in 3 weeks time and wondering if there’s anyway of getting out of my broadband contract?
I am currently with virgin and my internet has been bad for over a year, about 6 months they sent out a technician and he found a fault with a cable outside. I was told it would be fixed in a few weeks and I didn’t need to be in and for the past 5 months I get a text every 3/4 weeks getting a new date that someone is coming out to fix the cable but they never do.
So I really don’t want anything more to do with virgin, is there any way out without them giving me a penalty?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not easily unless they agree to let you exit the contract. The alternatives will all take an age, raise a case with the ombudsman or set up a new broadband account the contest any contract exit fee in court. Neither are ideal but there are, as far as I am aware, any easy exits from these contracts. It took me 3 months to get out of a Vodaphone contract when I found that, despite what I was told in store, there was literally no reception at the time where i lived.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are moving, that is how you finish it. The contact is at the property, not on your person, and they can’t insist you carry on with it when you move, as you may not even have them at the new property.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Check with your new provider. I switched last year and they reimbursed me for the penalty I had to pay to exit Sky. I spoke to Sky recently as I am thinking of going back to them, they also have some scheme where they will cover any exit penalties.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are moving, that is how you finish it. The contact is at the property, not on your person, and they can’t insist you carry on with it when you move, as you may not even have them at the new property.
Not so.
If Virgin is available in your new location, you can continue with your existing contract in the new area if you want to
If no Virgin service in the new location then you can end your existing contract without penalty.
But if Virgin is available in the new location, and you choose not to take it up, then you'll pay the penalty charge for ending the contract.
(Not saying this is acceptable, but Virgin's contracts have you by the danglies - I'm in this precise situation.)

RichA

Visit site
The whole point of a contract is that you agreed to their Ts&Cs when you accepted the "offer".
Are you looking to end it because you're moving or because the service has been poor? I'd pick one or the other - if you use both reasons then it looks like you're trying it on a bit, from their side of the contract.
VM service might be better where you're moving to. I found them pretty poor where I live, but they've been flawless in their service to my dad for the last 20 years.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Different scenario. But I took out a 5 G contract on my phone. I was sat in the car outside my house trying to download something and it was very slow on 4G. I checked online to see if there was 5G in my area.There isn’t. I rang EE and complaine. Bottom line they reduced my contract to 4G ( but left the 5G contract in place should I ever visit a big city etc). Me I would do a download speed check and if it is not as Virgin state it should be I would look to get out.

HPIMG

Visit site
I contacted virgin today good news is they don’t do broadband in my new area so I can get out of the contract.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I contacted virgin today good news is they don’t do broadband in my new area so I can get out of the contract.

Well good and bad news, the lack of the infrastructure for VM is likely to reduce/restrict the options you have to choose your broadband supplier for your new home

HPIMG

Visit site
Well good and bad news, the lack of the infrastructure for VM is likely to reduce/restrict the options you have to choose your broadband supplier for your new home
See the light provides broadband at my new home and it’s supposedly lightning fast the builder said lol so hopefully there not full of it.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Had Hey! Broadband knocking on our door during the week. Not heard of them before but they’ve been on the go for four years. I’m in a Sky contract but Hey! Said they’d give me 6months free then £23/month for 400mb to reduce any Sky ‘break’ penalty.

Our Sky broadband is not bad, but am interested in Hey! Anyone got any experience of it?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Had Hey! Broadband knocking on our door during the week. Not heard of them before but they’ve been on the go for four years. I’m in a Sky contract but Hey! Said they’d give me 6months free then £23/month for 400mb to reduce any Sky ‘break’ penalty.

Our Sky broadband is not bad, but am interested in Hey! Anyone got any experience of it?
Anyone knocking at a door offering a free service and reduced broadband would make me really nervous! It's the modern day equivalent of tarmacing a driveway or new conservatory, imo.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

They haven't yet got a large coverage. I tried a few friends and relations postcodes and didn't get a hit.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyone knocking at a door offering a free service and reduced broadband would make me really nervous! It's the modern day equivalent of tarmacing a driveway or new conservatory, imo.
Not a reduced broadband…but the 9months free would delay me ending my contract with Sky and hence potentially reducing the contract early cancellation charge. They are only now moving to our part of the world south of London and hence the incentive to go with them.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wouldnt be too sceptical about the 'free' offer. There a company round our area - Community Fibre - who are new on the scene and offering good deals on broadband. I'm pretty sure they too are offering limited periods at no charge. The plan seems to be to wean people away from Virgin who pretty much have (had) the monopoly on fibre broadband in this area. There's obviously some folk who have taken up the offers, as in last couple weeks, a range of new Community Fibre 'hubs' can be seen in my 'available networks' lists