getting open at impact

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive always struggled to open my body at impact. From video play back I am pretty much square. The trouble is the harder I turn my lower body in attempt to open up the quicker it brings my upper body round. I've tried the left foot back drill which works well until I go back to normal. Also tried leaving my back facing the target for as long as possible too. im much more flexible than my playing partner and he opens up no problem. also, I do get through the ball and manage to get open after impact. But it feels like ive got everything coming through at the same time.
I was watching ian poulter and his body turn is pretty much finished before his even hit the ball. Bugger! And help please guys

Mattyboy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Can you post a vid for the experts? Its largely guess work IMO.

However, my guess is that you are shut at the top - one of my faults too. This would be either due to a strong grip or a bowed wrist hinge, or both. My coach has me doing 'turn through' drills too.

If you turn through normally, you make no compensation for being shut and would hit the ball left. An easy compensation is to slide as opposed to turn through which would hold off the shutting of the club face.

I work on getting square(r) at the top which gives me the feeling of being about to hit it 50 yards straight right. I have to trust it and turn through. Any attempt to hit the ball hard results in hip slide and I am proved correct and hit the ball 50 yards right!

Get square at the top and it will be easier to turn through.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the reply matty. Think I wasnt very clear on my op. I ment I cant open my body/posture not club facr. But thanks anyway

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Thanks for the reply matty. Think I wasnt very clear on my op. I ment I cant open my body/posture not club facr. But thanks anyway

Matty was right.
People who have a strong grip often dont turn through the ball properly as it often leads to a big hook.

But if you are trying, then it shouldn't stop you.
Try firing your right knee towards your left as part of the downswing (right handers), that should get you turning better.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
if you've got a bit of time, browse through some of the Mark Crossfield vids on youtube. There are a number containing drills to encourage a better hip turn. Too many to post here, but I'm sure one of them will give you an idea about how to improve yours.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Like Bob said fire your right knee to your left in the downswing. A good image is to imagine you have a cymbal on the inside of each knee and you want top clash them together in the downswing.