Getting clubs re-gripped?

Visit site
Hi All

Im looking to get my Ben Hogan Edge irons re-gripped. I have quite long fingers and my cousin (PGA pro) suggested I get some fatter grips because im restricting my hold on the club slightly. I would ask him if he lived a little closer but was hoping you guys could help.

What grips do you suggest?
How much should I expect to pay for a re-grip on my irons?
Any advice I should take into consideration?

Thanks

leewestrudd1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
i had some midsize lambkins put on my irons and wedges,think it was about £6 per club, they were too big so ended up going back down to a standard lambkin grip, i havent got really big hands but felt that i was gripping the club too tight so i thought if i get a thicker grip it would stop me gripping so tight,it never worked. playing much better now.

Visit site
Thanks both for your replies. My fingers are particularly long so I think I will really benefit from a chunkier grip, although I will have a look and feel of a few before I decide which ones. £5 per club sounds reasonable.

I fancy having a go myself but can see me getting all the alignment wrong etc.

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
I actually did it myself, not as hard as you think.
goto Gamola golf for all instructions and tools.
Very rewarding once you've done it and saves you quite a few quid.

bogside84

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I brought Jumbo grip's back from Edwin Watts Orlando they were only $2.30 per grip I am quite sure you can buy these in the UK at golf outlets and it is very easy to re-grip clubs.
All you need is a roll of double sided tape and some white spirit.If you are going to do it yourself please get in touch and I will try to help you.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree that once you've decided on the thickness of the grip and the layers of tape you want then putting a grip on is pretty easy. Someone did a piece on the funk'd grips either this month or last on the GM forum pages in the mag which may help

Visit site
Thanks for all your help guys. I may try it myself, although living in a flat makes it a little tricky, i.e. I don't have a vice for example. I do like giving it a go though, worst case scenario I have to take it back off I guess!

How do you make certain the grip is aligned straight though? I guess I can do it buy eye or even make a mark on the shaft to line up with?

THJahar

Head Pro
Visit site
How do you make certain the grip is aligned straight though? I guess I can do it buy eye or even make a mark on the shaft to line up with?

Before you start, get some masking tape and wrap it beneath the grip then use a pen to mark the position of the grip.
Also don't forget to get some lighter fluid to remove old grip tape.
Oh, and thirdly B&Q don't have vices, but go online and try to pick one up (should be less than a tenner)
here's one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toolzone-60mm-Cl...7785&sr=8-2

Visit site
Good tip, thanks mate.

Right, im going to give this a go myself. Can't be that hard, watched a couple of videos which make it look quite straightforward.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
You can use a vice if you have one but dont go and buy one if you dont. It's just as easy without one.
All you need is a sharp knife, a bottle of white spirit and the tape

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Right O. Do I just rub the white spirit on the shaft and pour some into grip? The videos show aerosol?

Here's what I do.
I pour some white spirit into the grip covering up the bottom hole. Swirl it around and pour it back in the bottle.
Then put the shaft with the tape on into the bottle and again, swirl it around. Take the shaft out and slip on the grip. No wasted white spirit.