Are all unorthodox grips wrong?

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
I have to work on my grip all the time, similar to the problems Hogan had. My hands are fairly small, actually it's my fingers that are quite short. Struggled with either the interlocking or varden grip, so went to a ten finger grip. Always having to make sure my grip isn't too strong, to counter the over draw.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to work on my grip all the time, similar to the problems Hogan had. My hands are fairly small, actually it's my fingers that are quite short. Struggled with either the interlocking or varden grip, so went to a ten finger grip. Always having to make sure my grip isn't too strong, to counter the over draw.
What the hell's that?

Scozzy

Medal Winner
Visit site
It's just like your scorecard, until we draw pictures instead of numbers it's fine if it works.My 9 yr old is left handed but plays right handed and crack handed to boot! He insists it feels right and he enjoys giving it a whack so I'm happy to let him find his own way.As an add on I'm a member at Dunbar and Paul is a top man and wish I could hit em like he does...

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
No, an unorthodox grip is not necessarily wrong but I have played with a fair few single handicap golfers and have rarely seen one with a truly strange grip, so I suspect that the more unorthodox the grip, the less likely to able to play to a better standard as other unorthodox moves will have to come in to play to correctly deliver the club face square at impact and, for sure, the more correcting in the swing will imo lead to more inaccurate shots.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
My recent research leads me to think that the grip is "negotiable "- there are so many different ones used by successful tour pros, so one really finds it difficult to say that one only is right.
Therefore, the one input I saw , which suggested that one of the grips would lead to an increase in swing speed, I think is mistaken. This is reinforced by the fact that no one here has suggested that one type of grip over another does do that.
It all seems just a matter of personal preference. I am finding it interesting on the range to try the different ones. I am quite taken with Spieth's grip.
Wish I had the rest of his swing!😀
Hmmm. What exactly is your swing speed/distances? I would say that some grips DO restrict swing speed, either by making it physically impossible to release the club head, or by making the club head very hard to control at higher speeds.
Apologies if you're a steady single figure golfer or you hit the ball miles, but in my experience lots of bad golfers have grips that restrict their ability to play better. They also indulge in quite a lot of denial because, as we all know, grips are hard to change and often involve getting worse in the short term.
Please note that I am not a pro, and don't mean to be rude, but sometimes the answers aren't what you want to hear! Good luck with it all, whatever.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Hmmm. What exactly is your swing speed/distances? I would say that some grips DO restrict swing speed, either by making it physically impossible to release the club head, or by making the club head very hard to control at higher speeds.
Apologies if you're a steady single figure golfer or you hit the ball miles, but in my experience lots of bad golfers have grips that restrict their ability to play better. They also indulge in quite a lot of denial because, as we all know, grips are hard to change and often involve getting worse in the short term.
Please note that I am not a pro, and don't mean to be rude, but sometimes the answers aren't what you want to hear! Good luck with it all, whatever.

I am in my mid 70s, swing speed with driver 88 or so. Carry 200 yes just over in winter.Not been back in golf enough yet to play in summer
In my younger days I was long thumb Vardon grip, left hand using fingers not palm.
Recently tried the orthodox grip of no space between left thumb and index finger. This feels more secure but seems to restrict movement of wrist( the release you talk about? )
Gone back to long thumb.
Not much between them tbh.