General play card playing pairs competition matchplay in England

Larry long dog

Visit site
Is it allowable? I understand it isn’t for a ‘friendly’ (playing against another club).

I know people have already expressed their views historically as to why they prefer not to combine the 2 in singles format (which I know is allowed), but couldn’t see anything about pairs?

Ta

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I wonder how many informal four ball games are played in groups where someone is going to enter a general play card?

Larry long dog

Visit site
I’ve done exactly this and never given/received advice. Informal means exactly that-chucking balls up and playing for a post match beer. Jeez 🙄

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve done exactly this and never given/received advice. Informal means exactly that-chucking balls up and playing for a post match beer. Jeez 🙄
You were asking about a player who, in the course of your informal four ball, intends returning an acceptable score for handicapping which, for him makes it a formal matter. In any case, he is playing in a format which permits partners to give advice. That you haven't done so is irrelevant; the point is that it can be done.

D-S

Visit site
I believe it was you who used the word informal in the above post. The point still stands that informal or in a competition, a round not played in individual strokeplay format is not acceptable for submission for handicap (apologies for the double negative).

Larry long dog

Visit site
So let me get this right. I wish to enter a general play card (and so might well my playing partners). We throw the balls up for a bit of ‘informal’ matchplay no advice given (still hole out everything). You’re saying I can’t do both? Really?!?! Game is gone.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
So let me get this right. I wish to enter a general play card (and so might well my playing partners). We throw the balls up for a bit of ‘informal’ matchplay no advice given (still hole out everything). You’re saying I can’t do both? Really?!?! Game is gone.
Were you ever able to do that prior to WHS and return a score for handicapping?