Ge 2017

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Not an unreasonable position to take.... Governments always find extra cash (borrowing !) from somewhere when they need too. I'd rather than spend it in N Ireland than keep funding arms and satellite programmes in countries with smaller deficits than us!

I saw a Tweet last night that said if it was keeping a Marxist, out of No 10 its well worth it!

I think the argument is that it would have been better spent on the NHS, teachers etc if the money was available. Not sure it was ever a straight call between funding arms in other counties or paying the DUP for their votes.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sturgeon's statement given and nothing about a legal challenge to the TM DUP deal.

You can stand your lawyers down...

Calm down. I don't think my view on things is nationally important [yet] :lol:
I still think a legal challenge from somewhere to the DUP/Tory deal could be on the way.

OT.....Nicola setting the re-set button for Indyref2....quite wise IMO.

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The money goes into the system with about 40% paying wages which will be taken. Those wages will buy stuff with half of the purchases incurring vat. Etc.etc...

It will provide much needed jobs in NI.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I still think a legal challenge from somewhere to the DUP/Tory deal could be on the way.

Feel free to keep thinking that if it makes you happy.

Btw, the next time you're shopping, you're out of straws...

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

There wasn't a legal challenge to the Libdem coalition, with a hell of a lot more wheeling and dealing. Yes, this one is more blatant and distasteful. However, even non-DUP voters are seeing the spending as a positive.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Pathetic, typical ignorant response by yourself. Troll

But he's right. The party that won the most seats, even when its not a majority, gets first call to form a govt. As distasteful and dangerous as it is in the terms of the possible damage to the Good Friday Agreement, what have they done wrong?

D

Deleted member 16999

But he's right. The party that won the most seats, even when its not a majority, gets first call to form a govt. As distasteful and dangerous as it is in the terms of the possible damage to the Good Friday Agreement, what have they done wrong?
Unfortunately Bri that's the second little dig in the past week, no issue with a straight answer, it's the childish after comments.

And sensibly answering the point, how many Tory or Labour voters would change their vote or spoil their paper if they knew who the deals would be done with, look how it affected the Liberal vote, almost wiped them out.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We do, and we did. The Party with the most seats gets to form a Government. DO keep up

But he's right. The party that won the most seats, even when its not a majority, gets first call to form a govt....

Er... No, that's NOT how it works! But mostly what happens!

http://www.parliament.uk/education/about-your-parliament/general-elections/

It's quite possible that 1 'minority' party could combine with another to form an overall majority! As could have happened (and Gordon Brown was rumoured to have attempted) in 2010.

Hacker Khan

Visit site

Legally and from a parliamentary precedent I expect nothing at all. Morally based on the way they have behaved then I suppose that depends where your moral compass points to.

chippa1909

Head Pro
Visit site
They've done nothing wrong except failing to "sell" it in the right way...
WE'LL GIVE £1000,000,000 TO THE DUP INSTEAD OF THE NHS...written on the side of a bus would surely have done it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If the EU had granted 1bn to Northern Ireland, as an under funded region, and the UK had to stump up another bn as their share, would we all be so unhappy?

Just asking.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
If the EU had granted 1bn to Northern Ireland, as an under funded region, and the UK had to stump up another bn as their share, would we all be so unhappy?

Just asking.

If my auntie had a.......you can do this all day, if Labour had done the same deal with Sinn Fein would all those who do not seem able to criticise what the Tories have done have been so 'accepting'?

It is all hypothetical and may I suggest a good deflection technique, I'd much rather see people comment on what happened rather than try and justify it by coming up with some made up situation that has and will not.

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
That is not how it has worked though. It's an out and out bribe to retain power. No point trying to dress it up any other way.

Or the Tories could have stepped aside and allowed Labour to form a govt of a persuasion they don't like. Is it a bribe or are the Tories buying 'services'...? Rather than measure politics just on what we see on the floor of the House, maybe more people need to see the workings of cross party committees. Horse trading goes on every day.

If my auntie had a.......you can do this all day, if Labour had done the same deal with Sinn Fein would all those who do not seem able to criticise what the Tories have done have been so 'accepting'?

It is all hypothetical and may I suggest a good deflection technique, I'd much rather see people comment on what happened rather than try and justify it by coming up with some made up situation that has and will not.

Its politics. Whether the Tories/Labour or whoever decide to have an agreement with another legitimate party, just what is wrong with it?

And well done the DUP for getting an extra £1bn for Norn Ireland. That money will be spent on Northern Ireland, and not go into the DUP coffers. The people of Northern Ireland will benefit from it... Do I like it or agree with it? No, but that doesn't mean its morally wrong. Some people's moral compass has too fine a point.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Or the Tories could have stepped aside and allowed Labour to form a govt of a persuasion they don't like. Is it a bribe or are the Tories buying 'services'...? Rather than measure politics just on what we see on the floor of the House, maybe more people need to see the workings of cross party committees. Horse trading goes on every day.

Its politics. Whether the Tories/Labour or whoever decide to have an agreement with another legitimate party, just what is wrong with it?

And well done the DUP for getting an extra £1bn for Norn Ireland. That money will be spent on Northern Ireland, and not go into the DUP coffers. The people of Northern Ireland will benefit from it... Do I like it or agree with it? No, but that doesn't mean its morally wrong. Some people's moral compass has too fine a point.

I'd argue perception trumps the inner working of cross party committees. I do have a moral problem with having to make teaching staff redundant (which I have done) in the name of 'austerity' where as a billion extra is suddenly found (after all the magic money tree garbage the Tories were coming out with) on top of the half a billion that was already going, and will go to one region purely to prop up the government. Absolutely no issues with money like this being spent but the way a region/country gets that money where as others do not, to me, is morally wrong. It is the process that sticks in my throat, not the fact that people in NI will have more to spend on public services and infrastructure.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I actually think parties should work together more, we would be a better country for it. Some of the cross party committees are first rate and do some very good work. Outside of the chamber, behind the scenes MP's with specific interests often work together even if they are from different parties. This deal is not about like minds working together though is it? If it was then it would be a political deal that was struck, about policy as the Lib Dem / Tory deal was. This is about money for NI, they have bought the votes. It cheapens the Conservatives, it permanently sullies TM.

I'm sure Dennis Skinner will have a whole host of insults ready for TM during PMQ's. He should be very funny to listen to and the whole house will enjoy watching the Tories squirm because they all know on this occasion he is right.

Hacker Khan

Visit site
Labour were only to willing to sign up the DUP when the previous coalition fudge up was being traded over. I presume that Labour supporters would have been happy with that.

Yes Brown wrote to them to see if they could do a deal. That was as far as it got. If it would have gone ahead and, whilst teachers were being made redundant and most public sector workers had got no pay rises for ages because we had no money, yet a lot of money would have suddenly been found to go to one region just to buy their votes then no, I do not believe I would have not been happy with it.