Gary Sprake - RIP

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A legend of Leeds UTD and Wales, sometimes for all the wrong reasons. When I was a lad stood behind his goal at Elland Road he used to come and talk to all the kids before the team did their pre-match kick about.

RIP Gary, you made some truly wonderful saves and was one of the best goalies of your generation.

Some of his howlers and saves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHUmQqA8ZTk

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16999

Always remember him and Tommy Lawrence together for some daft reason and the fact he would lead with his knee when coming for crosses, sometimes brilliant but prone to a gaff.
RIP

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
that is so sad ,he was my hero when i was growing up and having aspirations of being a top keeper.
Leeds was my team back in the day and still think that the yeam of the early seventies was probably the best team that ever graced a football pitch anywhere in the world ,it was littered with quality in every positon .

RIP Gary ,

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Sad to hear.

A memorable name for Liverpool fans of a certain vintage, after scoring a famous OG at Anfield.

He was about to bowl it out to a Leeds defender and changed his mind at the last minute, and ended up throwing it into his own net.

The Kop sang "Careless hands" by Des O connor..........

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Goalie for that very good Leeds side till David Harvey took over , sad day ...............EYG

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am really sorry to hear this. As a Man U fan, Leeds were never my favourite team but through the innocence of youth I was much less partisan and really admired many footballers from every team. Gary Sprake was one of those players and he played his part in my love for football. A member of one of the great teams in English football history and a keeper I will never forget. Another part of my childhood gone but always remembered. God bless and Rest in Peace.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I used to see him in a little village pub in North Wiltshire back in the 1970s, I think his wife/Girlfriend came from the village. Was a nice man and always ready to join in a chat with the locals.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great keeper - even with the inevitable blunders that every goalie does. But he kept David Harvey out of the Leeds team and back then in the late60s and early 70s my English team was Leeds - so I was always a wee bit pleased when he messed up as Harvey would play. So please forgive me Gary - that wasn't very nice of me.

BTW - When reading about Sprake I came across Dave Stewart - he followed Harvey as Leeds and Scotland keeper - and I'd forgotten about Dave Stewart - so sorry Dave

So RIP Gary - you can have as many clean sheets as you like now - but may your gloves forever be mucky

Gorny

Visit site
I believe it was whoever was in control of the tannoy that played Careless Hands at half time that got the Kop singing that.... boor lad, not for the own goal... but for having a Des O'Connor song sung at him! #RIP Gary! MOT!!!