Gapping the top of your bag. which approach.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
after my recent driver fitting its become quite apparent that there is 2 problems with the top of of my bag.

A) the shaft flex on both 3 & 5 wood are incorrect which is robbing distance through a balloning flight,

B) my gaps are quite big,

At the moment my top of of my bag is

driver Carry 240-245
3w Carry APPROX 210
5w Carry APPROX 200
4I Carry Approx 180

Im currently only carrying 13 sticks so there is room for one more, but im interested to see how others space their top end, my option is upgrade my 3/5w and then learn to choke down a bit on a 5w if im between 5w & 4I distances, or the other option is close up the distances between driver/3w/5w then drop a hybrid or 3i in.

my current track doesnt have many tee shots that require a 190 yard club, but at the weekend i found myself bang between the 2 clubs, a 4i wouldnt have got me to this par3 as it was all carry, yet my 5w flew the green, pitched on the back and bounced through.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sounds to me like a 20 degree hybrid would fill the gap nicely !! I'd get it and check out 3/5 woods at the same time so you can check yr distances. Sounds like an expensive (but fun) shopping trip is in order ;)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a similar problem on 1 course I play. 2 par3's that fell between the 5 wood and the 4 iron. I put a 7 wood in when I play that course. As it fills the gap just right. Plus I find I hit woods better than hybrids.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i know the top end of the bag needs adjusting due to the wrong flex shafts in the woods, but im guessing that the correct shafts my only increase the gap. I have new irons on their way, which have different flex shafts also so im hoping the adjustments in distances may just compensate against each other.

if the 4i becomes longer and the 5w becomes longer, i may need to look at a gap club,

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I dropped the 60 deg wedge to free up room at the top and go Driver, 3 wood, 18 deg hybrid, 3 iron.
I cover all my bases, Its not that I feel like a need the gap filled at the time it was about getting more options for windy days or going for the par 5's in two.
I dont think the gap between your 4 iron and 5 wood is an issue, these I assume are just what you class as your average yardages, If I was you and faced with a 190 shot, I would try for middle of the green with a smooth 5 wood, dont see a huge need for change based on what you have said. But if you want more options then a 3 iron or hybrid would slot in nicely.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have driver, then a 4 wood which is roughly 20yds shorter (carry - more with roll), then a 3 hybrid which is 15yds shorter than the f/w, then 4 iron which is 15yds shorter than the hybrid.

I don't ever remember wanting for a different distance from that far away as I can choke down or play a fade to lose some distance.
Even if I couldn't vary the distance of the longer clubs it wouldn't bother me as I'd be over the moon with 7.5yds away from my target.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I dont think the gap between your 4 iron and 5 wood is an issue, these I assume are just what you class as your average yardages, If I was you and faced with a 190 shot, I would try for middle of the green with a smooth 5 wood, dont see a huge need for change based on what you have said. But if you want more options then a 3 iron or hybrid would slot in nicely.

thats what i tried yesterday. i think the distance was 198 to the middle, back reading about 208, all carry and the ball would pitch slightly into an upslope said to me, easy 5w should be enough. Nope.... it was bang out the screws and it airmailed the green. the problem is honestly i couldnt have gone at it any softer than i did.

im liking the 3iron idea, but its going to be a mission to find a matching 3i to my new bats, there is one on ebay at the moment, but its already at £45.00 with 3 days to go, its going to make mega bucks!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Even if I couldn't vary the distance of the longer clubs it wouldn't bother me as I'd be over the moon with 7.5yds away from my target.

this is valid. looking back at the hole there is trouble both left and right of the pin, so slighly longer but clear for a chip back maybe wasnt such a bad option.

JT77

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am lucky that my irons go 3-pw, guess thats because they are a few years old though. I know that a few lads at the club have a different 3i to the rest of their sets, some have a maybe a more forgiving 3i than the rest of the set, do the likes of american golf not have a reject bin, I played with a guy a little while back who had a diff 4i to the rest of his set and he said they charged him a fiver for it!
maybe have a look next time your in.
I love having a 3 iron in the bag, mostly for off the tee tbh, and especially if the wind is up as it goes a good way and I can get a low penetrating flight.
I am sure you can get one for less than 45 quid, I sold a mizuno mp60 one on flea bay for 15 quid.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I am lucky that my irons go 3-pw, guess thats because they are a few years old though. I know that a few lads at the club have a different 3i to the rest of their sets, some have a maybe a more forgiving 3i than the rest of the set, do the likes of american golf not have a reject bin, I played with a guy a little while back who had a diff 4i to the rest of his set and he said they charged him a fiver for it!
maybe have a look next time your in.
I love having a 3 iron in the bag, mostly for off the tee tbh, and especially if the wind is up as it goes a good way and I can get a low penetrating flight.
I am sure you can get one for less than 45 quid, I sold a mizuno mp60 one on flea bay for 15 quid.

I do have a burner tour 3i, i could get that reshafted as its currently fitted with a regular flex graphite and its a little weak, im sure i could get a TT XPS300 put in for about £25.00, could adress the issue and i think it could be slightly more forgiving than the TM CB 3 iron.