Hybrid types vs Fairway Woods

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
For the last 7-8 years I’ve played two various bag sets ups but there has always been 1-3 hybrids that have been the more compact slimmer style as opposed to the more popular mini-wood versions.

I’ve recently changed the top end of my irons around resulting in only 1 space between a 3w (set 16.5* 4w) and 3i.

Predominantly I’m looking for something to slot between the two or even the same length as the 3i but is more forgiving out of first cuts. My gut feeling is a 5w adjusted to more like a 6w or even a 7w and junk the hybrids all together.

Has anyone changed for similar reasons

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
For the last 7-8 years I’ve played two various bag sets ups but there has always been 1-3 hybrids that have been the more compact slimmer style as opposed to the more popular mini-wood versions.

I’ve recently changed the top end of my irons around resulting in only 1 space between a 3w (set 16.5* 4w) and 3i.

Predominantly I’m looking for something to slot between the two or even the same length as the 3i but is more forgiving out of first cuts. My gut feeling is a 5w adjusted to more like a 6w or even a 7w and junk the hybrids all together.

I hate hybrids so I’ve got “2” iron then a 21° 7 wood.

D

Deleted member 3432

Check out Callaway Apex U wood. Probably 21 degrees as they are very powerful.

I was testing one in 19 degrees a few weeks as I was toying with switching my 2 iron out for a low launch/spin hybrid.

U Wood was very impressive just went too far...but arrow straight. Just sits dead square behind ball and a nice compact head.

Jason.H

Visit site
I have 2 TaylorMade SIM 2 Max hybrids, 22 and 25 degrees loft. These sit between my high launch 3 wood and 6 iron. I can’t recommend them highly enough.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had a 7 wood years ago, but got fitted for hybrids back when Titleist brought out the 910 series of woods. I never really got the hybrid/rescue thing as I couldn't really use them to any effect so eventually about four weeks ago I finally managed to get a 7 wood to match my Ping G SFtec driver and fairway wood. What an eye opener it is!

Mandofred

Visit site
I currently go to a Ping 5 wood (kind of a 4 wood) after the driver. I then go to 2 hybrids set at 21+24. I love that 24 hybrid (although kind of wish I could adjust it to 26), but am thinking about replacing the hybrid at 21 (19 degree set at 21) with a 7 wood....or even a Ping 9 wood. Our pro shop pushes the Cobra woods. I was thinking about sticking with the Sub 70 brand that my irons are, but they don't seem to offer the higher launching fairway woods.

I may be in the market for a new driver before too long. Even though I have moved it up to 10.5, I'm still having recent troubles getting the ball up in the air. I think it might be time to just getting a higher launching driver.

evemccc

Visit site
Check out Callaway Apex U wood. Probably 21 degrees as they are very powerful.

I was testing one in 19 degrees a few weeks as I was toying with switching my 2 iron out for a low launch/spin hybrid.

U Wood was very impressive just went too far...but arrow straight. Just sits dead square behind ball and a nice compact head.

I have an Apex 20 degree and I love it…it’s the only hybrid I’ve ever used but it’s a great club and I use it a lot…in fact I have no idea why @Ethan sold it ??