Driver dilemma - r15 vs 915d2

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fully understand that.......

But what would happen if he bought the 915 and had a couple of lessons.
Would it be possible to get a bit more distance and still hitting the fairway ?

i say this because I have the SLDR and have struggled with it, so much so I had a lesson two week ago with a view to changing my driver. The coach had me hit loads of seven irons as my swing was atrocious. I have been hitting my irons gorgeous this last week or so but my driver is still all over the place.

The SLDR is quite a hard driver to hit, the R15 is supposed to be easier to control. Stuey have you compared the two side by side under the same conditions?

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The SLDR is quite a hard driver to hit, the R15 is supposed to be easier to control. Stuey have you compared the two side by side under the same conditions?

They were both hit on the same day at the same place using the same balls, one after the other on trackman, watched by a pga pro at Celtic Manor.
I hit a lot of balls with each club, first the TM, then the titleist til it was dialled in, then the TM again, then the titleist again.

D

Deleted member 3432

Still a no brainer for me. Would not consider buying a driver that I found difficult to control no matter how long it was because its no fun chopping your second shot sideways to get it hack in play.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
They were both hit on the same day at the same place using the same balls, one after the other on trackman, watched by a pga pro at Celtic Manor.
I hit a lot of balls with each club, first the TM, then the titleist til it was dialled in, then the TM again, then the titleist again.

Right I can completely understand why you want to change, I do think more testing on course would be good if possible

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the comments.

I have confirmed that I can borrow a 915d2 in the right specs for this weekend, so I shall try it again, and on the course.
The r15 is an excellent club. Am going to try some more settings on that too.

It is fine margins between them, they are after all both current clubs in similar specs, the shaft in the TM is a 69g vs I think 71g in the titleist, they are both at the stout end of stiff flex, similar loft and tbh the performance is not very different at all.
I just found in testing that I did have an occasional big miss with the r15 (that I have had on the course too) that I didn't with the 915d2, or at least wasn't as severe when I put that shonky swing on it. But on the positive for the r15, the best shots were further. I didn't get the 915d2 carrying over 260y very often, mostly in the 250's, but the r15 would get up there into the 260s.

I clearly have some work to do on my swing, the change from hitting 4degrees up to 1-2degrees down is an effect of working have been doing to improve my iron striking, which has improved. It is clearly hurting me with both clubs as my spinloft and spin numbers are too high. I am presenting a lot of loft at impact, even with an 8.5 degree driver, so there are a couple of things to work on.

I am thinking that I may be best served by working on those things then get another fitting when I have improved those factors as they could effect the loft I may need.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I played two rounds this weekend with a demo 915d2 and 915fd, had so much confidence in the 915d2, FD and HD this weekend. Brilliant clubs, I hit them great all weekend.
My r15 has been sold on eBay and I'm ordering the titleist tomorrow. The money lost on the r15 stings a bit, but I'm happy with the change.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So I played two rounds this weekend with a demo 915d2 and 915fd, had so much confidence in the 915d2, FD and HD this weekend. Brilliant clubs, I hit them great all weekend.
My r15 has been sold on eBay and I'm ordering the titleist tomorrow. The money lost on the r15 stings a bit, but I'm happy with the change.
Confidence is massive and you know if you kept the R15 that doubt would always be there. Good choice wish I had the spare cash to do the same as I love the 915 line up! Should never have demo'd it:mad:

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Confidence is massive and you know if you kept the R15 that doubt would always be there. Good choice wish I had the spare cash to do the same as I love the 915 line up! Should never have demo'd it:mad:

It is lovely. Driver is LOUD though, sounds way different to the r15.
I seriously couldn't miss with it all weekend.
The fairway and hybrid are even better.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
According to Barney Adams you should only hit a couple of shots with each club whilst testing.

After that he suggests that you adapt to the club that you are hitting at the time. Hitting ball after ball is a waste of time

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
According to Barney Adams you should only hit a couple of shots with each club whilst testing.

After that he suggests that you adapt to the club that you are hitting at the time. Hitting ball after ball is a waste of time

Ive read that myself. Can't say I agree. many times its take me quite some time to get used to a golf club. the latest club has been an r11 3wood. Took me about two week to work out I can hit a pretty solid fade with this whereas my normal shot would be a draw. If I only hit 3 shots the club would be in the spares pile.

Jordan spieth says he isn't comfortable with any new club till he has hit it thousands of times.

Take the Mizuno jpx850 driver for example. Straight out of the box it looked lovely but didn't blow me away performance wise. It has taken quite some time to reveal its inner workings and now is firmly up top in my bag.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
V
Ive read that myself. Can't say I agree. many times its take me quite some time to get used to a golf club. the latest club has been an r11 3wood. Took me about two week to work out I can hit a pretty solid fade with this whereas my normal shot would be a draw. If I only hit 3 shots the club would be in the spares pile.

Jordan spieth says he isn't comfortable with any new club till he has hit it thousands of times.

Take the Mizuno jpx850 driver for example. Straight out of the box it looked lovely but didn't blow me away performance wise. It has taken quite some time to reveal its inner workings and now is firmly up top in my bag.

I would argue what you have said there is exactly what Barney Adams stated lol

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you get a club, any club you will always hit it more than 3 times. in fact you can hit it many times before you even state your round if there is a net or range so there is always the opportunity to adjust to the club.

if you magically pick up a club and pound it down the middle there will be an element of luck in the loft, flex, face orientation and weight.

you have to get a club that's repeatable. I would argue you need to take time with this. He said he wanted to find a club under course conditions. Everyone (apart from a few on here) have a club in the bag long enough to get used to it. Learn the ins and outs and usually improve.

I like to read barneys articles but he was smoking some wacky stuff when he was on this quest.

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
R
When you get a club, any club you will always hit it more than 3 times. in fact you can hit it many times before you even state your round if there is a net or range so there is always the opportunity to adjust to the club.

if you magically pick up a club and pound it down the middle there will be an element of luck in the loft, flex, face orientation and weight.

you have to get a club that's repeatable. I would argue you need to take time with this. He said he wanted to find a club under course conditions. Everyone (apart from a few on here) have a club in the bag long enough to get used to it. Learn the ins and outs and usually improve.

I like to read barneys articles but he was smoking some wacky stuff when he was on this quest.

I would tend to agree more with your point than his, however I does make you think and he should know a thing or two on the subject