Gapping session...anyone done one ?

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Has anyone done a gapping session on a launch monitor ??

I did one today on Trackman, holy bejeezus that's hard work, but the time I got to my 6 iron I was on my knees. :whoo:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I did one a few months ago but I hadn't taken my swing with me, just another one of those days.
If I did one whilst swinging consistently, I'd find it really useful.

D

Deleted member 15344

Will be booking one when I get my new sticks - looking forward to it

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, found it very useful and quite a lot of fun. I also found it surprisingly sweaty going towards the end of the bag but I was really pleased with the results. I have since got new irons so will likely do another one come this summer. I found it most useful around my 3h/4i/5i/6i range as it picked up some small inconsistencies - which eventually led to new irons and negated nearly everything I learned about my yardages. ;) The numbers translated to the course pretty well, just being more confident about laying up short of trouble made it worthwhile for me.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I do one with every iron shot on the course....reality (of conditions, how i'm swinging etc) beats theory (of how I did once, with a particularmset of settings)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Need to get one done for my new irons. I have an inkling they may be 2-3 yards shorter but pretty confident dispersion much tighter. Will be interested to see if technology backs up my initial thoughts after playing with them yesterday

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Never had one. For the “new” clubs I’ve bought I’ve gone to the range hit about 30 or so 8 irons to 150 yard green. Added 10% then worked out the other iron distances from that in 15 yard increments

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Never had one. For the “new” clubs I’ve bought I’ve gone to the range hit about 30 or so 8 irons to 150 yard green. Added 10% then worked out the other iron distances from that in 15 yard increments

15 yard ?? Seems awful big difference, I wouldn't be happy with that.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Still has him 45 feet apart on irons, that's gonna test your two putting week in week out.

What difference do you suggest then as I’m comfortable with then so surely that’s all that counts

My gaps have been pretty consistent in the 30 years I’ve played golf from my early days to playing off 4 to now being of 15.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hey if it suits you dude, who am I to say, just personally wouldn't like a 15 yard gap. Found out today I have a 18 yard gap between my 52 and my pitching wedge, took them straight to my pro to get the lofts tweaked.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I was actually going to post something about this.

Course was open but unplayable on Saturday so booked a session on the trackman as felt I had a bit of a gap at the top end of the bag. My 3wHL was launching too high and stalling in the air, making it basically impossible for me to reach par5's in two and it was also basically the same as my 3 hybrid. Got my hands on a tour SLDR 3 wood and set it to 15 degrees. Results were very very good. My gapping (all carry) is as follows (still some changes to be made but feel it is getting there. I know I have a slight problem still with the 5 iron and the 4 hybrid. The 4 hybrid can come out so hot and had ones flying at 205. The other issue is with the 50 and the PW am currently considering getting a 48 instead but funds limiting this at present).

Driver: 242
SLDR 3 wood: 225
M2 HL 3 wood: 210
3 Hybrid: 205
4 Hybrid: 195
5 iron: 182
6 iron: 170
7 iron: 160
8 iron: 150
9 iron: 137
PW: 125
50 Degree: 105
56: 75
60: 50 (never play full shots with this)

With the wedges, I am not too concerned about the big gaps as I hardly ever play full shots with them. If I had 75 yards I would normally play a half or 3/4 50 degree rather than a full 56.

Really happy with the new 3 wood, played yesterday on our smaller course as it dries quicker and managed to drive two greens with it at 250 yards. Comes out like a bullet.

User101

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Got my data report via email today, absolutely fascinating reading if you're a geek like me, well worth the £20 spent, every shot even has a video clip, though that's not pretty.