Gap wedges

pingman93

Medal Winner
Visit site
Hi guys
I was just wondering why people have up to 3 gap wedges in the bag I don't want to sound stupid I just was wondering. And with all the different degrees how do you know which one to use

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
dont think i know of anyone who carries 3 gap wedges. You may get people who carry a pitching wedge (45 degree) a gap wedge (50 degree) a sand wedge (55 degree) and a lob wedge (60 degree) - so in effect 4 wedges but they will have a standard distance gap between them and use them for different situations

(lofts are approx, some will differ by a degree or 2)

Wolfman

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes i think you are confused

A gap wedge or sometimes GW or AW is the wedge between the PW pitching wedge and SW sand wedge

It is in the bag to fill the loft gap of the other clubs so distance control is easier

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
as fundy explains generally people carry wedges with different lofts in the same way as you carry different irons.

if a PW is a 10 iron (and on one set I have it is) then GW would be an 11, SW a 12 and LW a 13 - which might explain why some don't like the latter much!

many carrying all of these will also have differences in the sole design/bounce angle so that some clubs are better suited to shots from different lies/surfaces

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
as fundy explains generally people carry wedges with different lofts in the same way as you carry different irons.

if a PW is a 10 iron (and on one set I have it is) then GW would be an 11, SW a 12 and LW a 13 - which might explain why some don't like the latter much!

many carrying all of these will also have differences in the sole design/bounce angle so that some clubs are better suited to shots from different lies/surfaces

Brilliant :)

pingman93

Medal Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys so like I hit my pw aprix 120 yards so with a 52 degree would it be roughly like 60 then a 54 like 40 yards or am I on the wrong lines still. It's just I'm wondering wether to add them to my bag

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
my carry yardages for full swings are approx PW (46degree) 130 yds, GW (50 degree) 120 yds, SW (54 degree) 110 yds, LW (58 degree) 100 yds, not that I hit them flat out all the time (honest!)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I carry a PW (42 degrees), 47 Mizuno, 51 Mizuno, SW (55 degrees) and 60 Mizuno.

They all have different uses in different lies and I hit all but the 60* to a consistent distance with good spread... and I don't hit the 60 full.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
my carry yardages for full swings are approx PW (46degree) 130 yds, GW (50 degree) 120 yds, SW (54 degree) 110 yds, LW (58 degree) 100 yds, not that I hit them flat out all the time (honest!)

mine are pw - 118yds, 52 - 90yds, 56 - 75yds and 60 - 65yds

you will have to establish what works for you

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers guys so like I hit my pw aprix 120 yards so with a 52 degree would it be roughly like 60 then a 54 like 40 yards or am I on the wrong lines still. It's just I'm wondering wether to add them to my bag

You're on the wrong lines. If your PW goes 120, then a 52 will go about 100, depending on the loft (of the PW)

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
I only use a PW & SW. Open the face shorten the swing etc to get different distances. They didn't have all these fancy things:whistle: when I started lol.

spawn_ukuk

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Most people i think Carry 4 wedges now
Pw Gap Sw Lob

I think its just the degress of them and the bounce is the important thing

Important question is, Do you need a Gap Wedge?
for me yes, wedges are the scoring part of your game

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im quite handy with all my wedges. i dont hit them very far but i know to a certian extent ho far them will go. i hit them quite hard say 90% and can drop 5 balls and they will not be very far away from each other when they land. they are an essentail part of my game due to being a short enough hitter off the tee.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Quite a few carry 4, as you should wedges are important you need the options in the scoring part of the hole

I've only got 2 wedges and I have more than enough options thank you.
I've lost count of the times I've seen someone carrying 4 wedges and cant hit any of them.
3, I understand as the modern PW is more like an old 9 so GW and SW is plenty.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
once you have faith in your ability to strike down on a wedge i find it easier to commit to the shot if im hitting it harder. therefor having a 58 wedge and hitting it hard is easier than hitting a half or 3/4 SW. this is not something you can just start doing. i have put alot of work into my short game. hours around greens on my own.

when the wind is up then this gameplan has to go on the back burner. keeping them lower is then the name of the game.

sydney greenstreet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all im new on here and was just wondering how i start a discussion thread?
Welcome aboard, go to the start of the forum and pick which section you want ie The Lounge for all things golf related or out of bounds for other topics, once selected yu will see at the top in blue +Post New Thread, click on it then put in your topic headline then anything you want to add in the bar below it.