Game Golf App

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Just started to use the app and thought I would share my experiences, I only use the app, I don't have the club tags and I only use the basic version that's free not the premium "caddie" option.

Yardages - I started to take it out with my SkyCaddie watch, the distanced on the app are consistently about 3-4 yards shorter than the watch. Not really an issue for us amateur anyway, but as they are consistent as soon as you get used to the yardages it makes no difference anyway.

Club tagging - Great feature, like with the physical tags, before each shot you can just press add shot and select which club you are using. This has many benefits, on a simple level it counts your shots so acts like a scorecard.

Also it gives you your distances for each club, it will also record where on the course you are taking your shots so can work out stats like FIR and GIR. It also has a nice feature of recording your longest drives and giving you a nice shiny screen whenever you beat it.

I have on occasion forgotten to tag my club before walking off, this isn't a problem however as you can just edit the hole and add in the shots by dragging the icon to where you hit the last shot and add in what club you hit.

The downside is that if I am playing a chip and run with a 7 iron the app doesn't seem to work out it's a chip and so counts it as a full swing which messes up the stats a bit. I may be missing something but this is a down side.

Statistics - after your round you can upload your scores, it then works out all your stats for the round, FIR, GIR, Putts, scrambling. It will also tell you how your clubs performed but as above this can be skewed if you are not doing full shots.

Another down side is if you are playing 2 loops of a 9 hole course as an 18 it can't do it, you have to upload each 9 as a separate round. Not the end of the world but a bit frustrating.

I am thinking about upgrading to the premium version, this gives you more detailed yardages to hazards and other points on the holes. The caddie AI learns your clubs and gives you recommendations (not sure how much the first problem will affect this) can give you up to date weather conditions such and temperature; wind; and atmospheric pressure and the caddie will take this into account when recommending a club (obviously this can't be used in a competition).

So all in all, I am enjoying using it, and seems to be one stop shot for yardages, scoring and stats.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
Sounds similar (ish) to an app I use, I use 'VPAR'

Allows you to enter Gross Score, putts and club used off tee. And driving accuracy so you can say if you missed fairway left, right or hit it.

The app you're using sounds a bit better as I like keeping track of fairways hit, greens in reg and putts per round. Not fussed on the log of club yardage as I prefer to determine that during practice rounds myself or on the practice ground rather than trust an app.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
the stats part of it is really good. Without having to work things out it will instantly tell me my FIR, misses left/right etc

The yardages of the clubs don't bother me, as I've been playing with the same clubs for years so know my yardages inside and out. But the other stats are great, just found the insights tab on the app, and you can get strokes gained/lost stats based against scratch golfer or even Tour pros.

robbeh32

Visit site
I always use game golf app. My friend who I play with does use it again. I find it does slow the pace of play down a little bit though. I am thinking about buying the tags or buying some new f8 irons to get free arcoss with the clubs.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
my understanding was, that group was for the full set with the tags. I was trying to give a little feedback on just the phone app, as a stand alone

D

Deleted member 16999

my understanding was, that group was for the full set with the tags. I was trying to give a little feedback on just the phone app, as a stand alone

It’s got everything and anything related mate, others have reviewed the app in their.
Feel free to ignore, was trying to be helpful. :thup:

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Have a look at golfpad. I did similar to you and found the UI a little better. Although more of the stats require subscriptions.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
Am sure you will find it if you read the other thread, but I understand that the App will discount those chip and runs, chips from under trees etc. once it has sufficient data to derive what is a full shot with each club.

I use the original Game Golf so have the tags and receiver. Once you get used to it tagging becomes second nature. If ever I play now without it I still find myself "tagging" against my belt!

As the new Live version is out, and a Pro version is due soon, there are some great deals for 2nd hand units on E Bay. Worth a punt for anyone interested. I find it really beneficial.

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Am sure you will find it if you read the other thread, but I understand that the App will discount those chip and runs, chips from under trees etc. once it has sufficient data to derive what is a full shot with each club.

I use the original Game Golf so have the tags and receiver. Once you get used to it tagging becomes second nature. If ever I play now without it I still find myself "tagging" against my belt!

As the new Live version is out, and a Pro version is due soon, there are some great deals for 2nd hand units on E Bay. Worth a punt for anyone interested. I find it really beneficial.

Aye the partial swings will pick up as full and after 64 rounds it states i hit my 6i further than my 5i as I use the 5i to run under the low hanging pine trees on my course, I tag without thinking now but do it after my shot and also do it when I'm not using the device, iv even done it a few times up the range, one thing I like about game golf is the insights were you can see shots by individual clubs, quite good I think,
I'll be selling mine soon as I'm getting the upgrade if interested