• No headcover

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Headcover

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
What do you guys think about the fall out from Kelly Tilghmans comment on the golf Channel (Setanta) on Sunday night. She said today’s young players should “lynch Tiger Woods in a back alley.”

There are now calls for her to be sacked. What do you reckon. Is it PC gone mad, or should public commentaters know better and face the consequences of their mistakes?

HTL

Tour Winner
Visit site
PC gone mad! it drives me insane. As a lecturer I have to attend so many meetings etc on new words you cant use.

You are no longer aloud to say a brain shower as epileptics might find it offensive! And trust me the list goes on!!!

It sounds like she was just having a giggle, SO WHAT!!!

martiboy

Visit site
Not only have we lost certain freedoms we seem also to have lost our sense of humour??

I do not know what Tiger thinks of this latest comment but in his past history he needs to lighten up when someone says something, for example the Faldo incident which he could have smiled but he came across as a big baby!!Dare not thee who crosses Tiger??

Atticus_Finch

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Comments should only be offensive if they are said in an offensive manner. Anyone could see that the comment was said jokingly.
I was actually watching it at the time and I can't even remember her saying it much less be shocked by it. But then again. I'm not an African American.
I just feel that sometimes people are looking to be offended and take on a victim mentality a bit too often these days.

Here's a good example.....
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7133862.stm

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
From what I understand Tiger is quite good friends with Ms Tilghman and his agent has issued a statement that as far as he is concerned it is a non story. However that hasn't stopped the furore over it.

B

birdieman

She shouldn't have said it as professional presenter. Similar to Alan Shearer suggesting Rooney should lynch Ronaldo or words to that effect after England's exit at the last world cup.
Kids are listening and copy adults, tv presenters need to think carefully about what they say on air.
She's a good presenter though, wouldn't want to see her get in trouble over this.

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a slip of the tongue. No worries. People being over-sensitive. Tiger got the same abuse when he said he was swinging "like a spaz" during one interview. No offence meant but we all make mistakes.

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
cant stand the mope's(most offended people ever) of this world.
We should all get a big sign that Say's the comments made by the mouth does not copy the views of the brain. as a wee disclaimer.
You can tell when a person Say's something that is innocent but can be taken out of context.
No way she wants the youth to dress in the kkk uniform and lynch tiger, lynch (figure of speech)cause he has raised the bar so high.

Dormie

Club Champion
Visit site
Good point well made, but imagine if Calzaghe had said:-
"No way i'll lose to a Black boy".
They would probably ban him from the sport.......

geronimo

Head Pro
Visit site
If someone said there's no way I'll lose to a black boy then you have to assume its cause his colour so it would be a racist remark.

Ms Tilghman has been suspended for 2 weeks due to this remark, even though her employers and tiger agree there was no racist meaning in the words spoke.
She is suspended encase she caused offence.

A poor show if you ask me.If you are not guilty then you should get no punishment, even if people decide they want to take the words out of context and get offended.

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
this having occurred in america, she may be lucky if a two-week suspension is all that happens.
with their propensity for litigation and the willingness of the courts to allow all and sundry to interfere in an action, her employers may have done this to ward off interference by outsiders.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Gasp, prior to this post you have had a 6.436% conversion rate of hits to posts on your topic. Not significant statistically, but I am bored today.