Further R9 Opinions Needed

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As per my previous post, I have bought the R9 Driver for my brother for his 40th. It has now arrived and I am a bit concerned about the small head. Can anyone give an honest opinion as to whether that makes it significantly less forgiving than the usual 460cc head. I would have taped it up and given it a try but he is left handed so a bit difficult.

I still have time to change for the R9 460 but I like the look of this club and if the head size does not make it a nightmare to hit then I will stick with it (though if it really does prove a flop, at least Onlinegolf will take it back and refund most of the cost if used)

crux

Club Champion
gonewhackit.blogspot.com
I honestly never realised it was a smaller head when I brought mine. I certainly have never though, 'damn... if only it was 460cc that shot may have been ok!' You just get on with it.

FG_HOOR

Club Champion
Visit site
i used to have the small headed r9 and replaced it with the supertri which was the worst swap i ever made

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The R9 does not have a small head, just one that is 20cc or so smaller than the maximum allowed. The correct choice of loft and shaft flex is much much more important than those 20cc of head volume.

I remember the first Big Bertha driver with its enormous 190cc head.

I am not the best ball striker in the world by any means and the R9 is an easy club to hit - the size of the head is not small - he will love it

He would probably love you more though if you got him an R11 :cool:

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've got them both. I got the original R9 when it first came out. Hit it well on the launch monitor and the range but didn't get on with it on the course.

I just found the bad hits were really bad. I swapped to the R9 460 after about 3 months and have kept it in the bag ever since. I found it much more forgiving.

I did get the R9 out last week and hit it well again on the range.

I'm not saying the original R9 isn't a good driver, it is, I think you needed to be a better driver of the ball than I was when I got it. I was off about 20hcp when I got it.