Full club set recommendations

fudgeukraine

Visit site
Hoping you knowledgable people can help!

Been quite a casual golfer till now, maybe 4/5 rounds a year and pretty poor (never break 100) so have only ever had ad-hoc clubs, usually from Sports direct or hand-me-downs, so the bag is a mess.

Quite keen to get myself a decent set and start playing properly this year (helped by moving next door to a course and considering joining), but I'm just clueless as to what is a good/decent set.

Could someone give me some recommentations as to what to go for, guess be good to get a new set but if there's a good 2nd hand set I'm happy enough with that. Be good to get the full set of woods, irons, wedges, and putters but not essential to get all at once.

Pretty flexible budget if I'm honest, I guess maybe £300 - £500ish ballpark for a set, but could go a bit higher if need be (though I don't tihnk I'm good enough to justify a professional set of £1k+!).

Based in Edinburgh, potentially going near St. Andrews next week to swing by a few places there.

thanks all!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
https://www.golfclubs4cash.co.uk/

They are based in Edinburgh and seem to have lots of gear. Well worth popping your head into.

Each to their own but the Ping G series, 20, 25, 30 get consistent thumbs up for ease of use. I've gradually moved a lot of my gear across to the G25 range and they are very easy to hit, very user friendly. I think they would be a great starting point for you.

There are other equivalents but the Pings come up as the go to set in these circumstances.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
GolfClubs4cash its the back of Ikea in Edinburgh.

Had thousands of clubs and a net to try them in, guys are very helpful too

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think it's definitely better value to get second hand clubs that are 3-5 years old. If you stick to known brands you should even be able to sell them off for a decent fee if you ever want to upgrade. You'll probably want irons of the 'game improvement' variety.

fudgeukraine

Visit site
Thanks for the golfclubs4cash link; never knew they existed and only a mile away from my place; will try and pop in there and see what they've got

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
+1 for golfclubsforcash. Very happy customer here.

Can't go wrong with anything in the Ping G series 👍👍

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
https://www.golfclubs4cash.co.uk/

They are based in Edinburgh and seem to have lots of gear. Well worth popping your head into.

Each to their own but the Ping G series, 20, 25, 30 get consistent thumbs up for ease of use. I've gradually moved a lot of my gear across to the G25 range and they are very easy to hit, very user friendly. I think they would be a great starting point for you.

There are other equivalents but the Pings come up as the go to set in these circumstances.
I enjoyed hitting the G25 irons too.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed hitting the G25 irons too.
Mine came with a mid size grip on them, didn't realise when I bought them. If you ever need to re-grip your clubs well worth trying one out to see what you think, I love them.

I can't believe the difference in using the G25's, they really do make golf that little bit easier

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site

pool888

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Another vote for the Ping G range, all solid clubs which if you buy at a sensible price you will lose very little after a few years use. Do some homework on eBay and Gumtree to get an idea of the different ranges value, G20, G25, G30, G, G400 are the ranges you should be looking at from oldest to newest. Also be aware of the colour dot which indicates the lie angle, preferably get a fitting or look a their chart to get a rough guide. You can get some great bargains from Gumtree if your patient and lucky or buy from a dealer where you will get some warranty.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Don't buy a full set would be my recommendation. Start with a few bits and add to it as you see things in sales at a decent price. I bought quite a bit at once without realising some of the discounts at times like black Friday and January sales would actually be really good. Could have got better quality for the same price if I would have waited a bit