From 40yds and in question.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just to fill in some details before my question.
I played on Sunday on a pretty damp course but no temp greens.
I shot 27 points and then I counted up my duffed chips.
16 duffed chips ........................ and I mean duffed.
I'm talking from 40yds and in and a duffed chip is one that fails to get at least near the green.
Some only went a few yards and three of them went about 3 inches with my club sliding straight under the ball which was on a pretty muddy bare lie!!!!
On one par 3 my tee shot finished about 10 feet from the green, my first putt was my 5th shot!
So, here's the question;
When pitching or chipping from 40yds and in should I prevent my wrists from breaking?
Please all give me the same answer.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just to fill in some details before my question.
I played on Sunday on a pretty damp course but no temp greens.
I shot 27 points and then I counted up my duffed chips.
16 duffed chips ........................ and I mean duffed.
I'm talking from 40yds and in and a duffed chip is one that fails to get at least near the green.
Some only went a few yards and three of them went about 3 inches with my club sliding straight under the ball which was on a pretty muddy bare lie!!!!
On one par 3 my tee shot finished about 10 feet from the green, my first putt was my 5th shot!
So, here's the question;
When pitching or chipping from 40yds and in should I prevent my wrists from breaking?
it maybe your digging the leading edge into the turf.
Do you play hands forward or level to the ball.
If you have hands forward to much it takes the bounce off the club.
My suggestion is play hands level with the ball .practice bouncing the club off turf as you bottom out ,
you must accelerate don’t worry about hitting it to far as this is better than a duff.

Try not to think to much about wrists .
My coach years ago had me chip with a lolly ice stick under my watch strap this stops you breaking your wrists when chipping and putting.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm not a great player but I'm fine from this distance. I keep my wrists locked and exaggerate the follow through, not in terms of length, to leave the club pointing at where I want the ball to be. It helps me to concentrate and keep control of the club. It feels like quite a straightforward back and through motion.

Don't know if this is technically correct but it works for me.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
When you're chipping you're wrists shouldn't break, it should feel similar to a putting stroke.

Pitching, meaning get the ball in the air you will need to break you're wrists, just need to keep your body relativey quiet and be positive with the shot

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Really struggled and found the 40 yard challenge (nicked off Peter Finch's youtube channel) really helped. Hard this time of year with bare, muddy lies. Plenty of videos on youtube that can help. Stick with it. Clubchamp has a lot of good sense

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I like to play with loft with short shots. I’d probably do better with chip n runs, but I think it looks good (when it goes right). That said, last winter I had a similar issue and find that on wet ground less loft is your friend. I saw a video by peter finch, I think it was called chipping like Jason day. It seems a pretty fail safe way to go.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site

No.
The only time you dont break your wrists is when you are around the fringe and close to the flag.

Try this drill.

[video=youtube;NA8aMPqdmbY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8aMPqdmbY&list=PL7Uf2W3sfvqYBJ3OUldKvQT7 ZWYEmPOyW&index=3[/video]

The idea is to try and hit the ball UNDER the club shaft.
If you get it right, the ball will go OVER the club shaft.
Note how the clubhead is higher on the backswing than it is on the followthrough (think high to low) and make sure you turn through the shot

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Obviously you dig with a steep angle of attack. what is the bounce on your wedges? do yourself a favour and get as high a bounce as you can.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
My suggestion is play hands level with the ball .practice bouncing the club off turf as you bottom out ,
you must accelerate don’t worry about hitting it to far as this is better than a duff.

My coach years ago had me chip with a lolly ice stick under my watch strap this stops you breaking your wrists when chipping and putting.

This is as good as it gets for me. A couple of things to add.
My coach from a few years ago told me the closer you get to the hole, inc putting, the more practice swings. The reason being is that it is all about touch and feel trying to get the right distance. The second thing is, our place during the wet months is known as Mudwood. In essence, my vokey wedges will dig into the ground and not bounce. To that end if it is possible any iron from 7-PW takes preference.
just outta interest, how comes there was no pick and place on such a wet course.

Last edited:

Fish

Banned
Visit site
When you're chipping you're wrists shouldn't break, it should feel similar to a putting stroke.

Pitching, meaning get the ball in the air you will need to break you're wrists, just need to keep your body relativey quiet and be positive with the shot

I agree with this, but will add, you must keep your hands forward at all times, then it’s all about feel. Do not break the wrists or flick at the ball.

I love this shot and part of the game, I don’t hit anywhere near enough GIR so this part of the game becomes essential to get up & down.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice, people, much appreciated :thup:.

Lots of good advice in there, thanks.

This is as good as it gets for me. A couple of things to add.
My coach from a few years ago told me the closer you get to the hole, inc putting, the more practice swings. The reason being is that it is all about touch and feel trying to get the right distance. The second thing is, our place during the wet months is known as Mudwood. In essence, my vokey wedges will dig into the ground and not bounce. To that end if it is possible any iron from 7-PW takes preference.
just outta interest, how comes there was no pick and place on such a wet course.

There is, but only on mown areas ........................ places I don't always visit!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
[video=youtube;EistB62E6pw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EistB62E6pw&t=8s[/video]

Brilliantly simple chip and run method here

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
If your fearful of going long then try playing your first shot to go past the pin.

Rather than fight the fear try and embrace it.

15 foot past is better than 2 yard duff.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keep the wrists still or you will just dig under it. If the ground is that wet though it means the greens are very soft too. So I would look at playing these shots with something like a 9i or PW depending on how cranked up your lofts are. Then I just play more of a little punchy type of shot.

chimpo1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Similar to other comments, I would stop using your high lofted clubs and go down to a gap/PW or 9 iron instead to stop digging or sliding under the ball. It’s good to try new techniques in the winter, you may even find that it helps your game in the long run.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Slime,
How many of your properly struck chips went significantly past the hole?

Others have commented at length on technique but for many the cause of their issues with these shots is that they are trying to finesse it close rather than simply aiming to dial in a distance and accept the outcome of that shot.